EQ Never

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I think he's just being a realist. Almost everyone here drooling over CRs and how hard it used to be expecting that in EQn are sorely going to be disappointed.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think people can expect something less casual than say rifts death penalty. I actually do expect a CR to some extent. I doubt it will be like EQ1 but death will be felt.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Its a deluded thought to believe a harsh death penalty will make you enjoy a game, more.

Vonador_sl

shitlord
I think people can expect something less casual than say rifts death penalty. I actually do expect a CR to some extent. I doubt it will be like EQ1 but death will be felt.
There's a particularly distressing disconnect here - what older EQ veterans would like to see, and what will actually be in the game. I would personally love to see a penalty associated with death akin to the kind we saw in early EQ, but as it stands, we can't even reasonably pretend to know whether or not it'll be that way. And if the last six years of MMO's are any indication, our little nostalgia parade is woefully unlikely.

Speaking out of personal hope is one thing; speaking with a misguided sense of certainty is entirely another.

Vonador_sl

shitlord
Its a deluded thought to believe a harsh death penalty will make you enjoy a game, more.
Not really. Some people like to suffer actual consequences when they fuck up; it makes ultimate success all the more satisfying, therefore increasing enjoyment of the game for those who are patient/skilled enough to succeed. It's not even conjecture - see: Demon's Souls, Dark Souls.

This whole kiddie-circus 'everyone who participated deserves the same trophy, no matter who wins!' mentality is such carebear bullshit.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
you're dense
And can't read...

But for Von... Where is that misguided? I said it would probably be more felt than say Rift. That's not saying much.. It will most likely have some meaning.. I'm not even familiar with EQ2s death penalty? I know VG you felt it a bit. I'm totally realistic to what's coming. I just don't think it will be a spawn at grave yard and repair your gear death penalty.

Faris

Golden Squire
I think its more about a general feeling. Something that makes you feel accomplished more than recent MMORPGs do, even if you dont raid.
The things I would be happy to see in EQN would be more group content. Less !-?-solo bullshit story stuff. I would like an lfg tool, maybe even a dungeon finder for that matter, but one that isn't x-server, so you actually meet people and can get to know them. In that I would love to see more camp style dungeons than instances, which you rush through. I want mechanics that are more complex than whats in WoWs group content. Multi CC classes, splitt pulling, breaking camps comes to my mind. I want gameplay that isnt reduced to "run out of X" and do this rotation perfectly. I want to be able to fail harder and in different ways, forced to pay more attention to more things and be punished harder if I don't do that.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
And if the last six years of MMO's are any indication, our little nostalgia parade is woefully unlikely.
Which is the truth. EQ:N will come out and the Death Penalty will not be anywhere close to what EQ 1 had. The genre has changed. For the better or worse is of personal opinion.

you're dense
Oh, Ive read why having a fear of death makes the game better. I just dont follow it, and apparently, game developers dont either. Think back for a second about how fun it was in EQ for a Warrior that just wiped on a raid target.

Worst case scenario : Warrior dies on raid target. Hes bound as close as he can get, which is usually a minimum of 4 zones away due to EQ design. No equipment is bound to the character, so he has no run speed boost, no invisibility and its to late in the night so there is no one there to give him either of these buffs. On his trip back to the raid zone, he has to dodge not only shitty NPC's that are green to him. But also a Shitty Raid target or two because no one sees the point in killing them anymore except second rate guilds. The Warrior finally gets back to the zone and waits for a Corpse Summon. As he waits his turn patiently, someone thats apping to the guild accidentally pulls mobs to the camp and everyone has rez effects. We all wipe, but at least those of us at the camp can be rezzed this time around. Lets not forget the experience loss that happened at least twice during this.

I guess to some people, that shit is fun.
rolleyes.png

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
That's a retarded series of events, unless that warrior was actually the only player fighting that raid target. And I'll concede that in the rare nights where you're stoned enough to run your warrior to ToV and solo charge Sontalak but not too stoned to actually also try a CR, that then said CR would be problematic. On actual raids the issue didnt come up, you either get ressed or had casters also running back that supported your poor warrior with various buffs or outright summoned him across zones. Maybe your guild had one of those jokers that dispelled your levitate during CRs so you had more xp loss then others and you're still pissed about that 10 years later?

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Wait?! What??

Why can't the warrior just be rezzed again?
because the game is much more fun if instead of dying you're just invincible and nothing can kill you or even hurt you and you can reach max level in under an hour and you don't even have to move because the dungeon will just come to you and all the loot you could ever want will drop on the very first mob that you kill with absolutely no chance of failing. wouldn't that be a fun game for you, daidraco? fucking retards...

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
All depends on if SOE is happy with hundreds of thousands and maybe grow from or still trying to chase WoW numbers.

Would of thought people learned by now not to get hopes/prayers up until they have actually played the game.

Will be funny though if the time comes when all the people scream and whine about SOE ruining their EQ memories if they don't put things in that the genre has obviously grown out of and most players have too.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
That is the most obvious outcome. I, however, think that EQ:N might depart from the current model at least a little bit. And for that, I am interested. Because the current model, while easily workable, is pretty stale to my particular palette. As it always does... time will tell. We'll see what they have to offer when more information is unveiled.

YIMMY_sl

shitlord
This is my pre-superbowl i'm bored and hungover post about EQ.

Never really posted thoughts about it but since I played from 12-19 I have similar thoughts as these boards as to what EQ actually was, and what it needs to be.

I'm wondering looking back if my feelings are because of nostalgia or because it was my first MMO that I have ever played. It's probably a little bit of both. I think we can all agree that you guys have very good ideas about what needs to be in EQ NEXT and why some things wouldn't work. Realistically speaking though, it's pretty unfortunate that a lot of these things will not be implemented in the game and I think it's for a good reason(business wise not my personal opinion)
SOE is most likely targeting NEW MMO lovers (in the last 5 years or so). These players have a weird ADD sense and most likely won't enjoy what we did back in the day. Fuck everyone with the nostalgia piece, but I loved the corpse runs and waiting for a group because I was too lazy to start one. It was part of the game, but with technology and games appearing in the last 6 or 7 years it would be impossible to sustain a game like that. When I first played WoW I was still playing EQ and when I first went through the deadmines I said "holy shit this is awesome". But after about 40 runs and alts, it didn't have the same feel because no one cared. Call me gay or whatever but I want to play a game that people care about and love playing. Having a group of strangers shoot the shit for 3 hours and have fun doing it is all I really want. I liked the progress and quests in WoW but I hated that no one cared about it. End game and raiding is also nice but it has just turned into the gear and not about defeating the mob. I was stoked when my guild progressed in EQ not because I got gear but because we defeated a mob that we would talk about for 2 months.

Being pissed about a CR or angry about wiping and taking hours to get back to the raid is a human emotion that when captured correctly, makes for a great game in the end. What has ever been good that has been easy? It's hard to capture this with all the weird kids nowadays that play these games and I get it as a business but it pisses me off as a player.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm still thinking about that retard scenario lol..

I won't scream if EQN doesn't live up to my expectations. Ill prob just not play it. And continue to not play games because there isn't anything out there for me. I'm the opposite of what a lot of the casual gamers pretend to be. I actually am busy and have a shit load going on. Fun stuff of course..

I don't play 3 games at a time for 2-3 hours a day and gain all kinds of achievements in game to pretend like I accomplished something. That's actually not fun for me. I don't need that instant gratification. I'm perfectly happy with a slower paced game that requires a bit more attention to detail.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
^ That post didn't come out sounding snobbish or condescending at all!

One thing I would like to see from future games is a Live event team. Events run and operated by actual people(instead of just s script) that give one time only rewards. You can make events that just appear without warning and reward the person(s) who find it or give a warning and have a competition or such. Make level requirements so its spread out to people of all levels etc. Unfortunately this is just added cost and will most likely never happen.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I'm still thinking about that retard scenario lol..

I won't scream if EQN doesn't live up to my expectations. Ill prob just not play it. And continue to not play games because there isn't anything out there for me. I'm the opposite of what a lot of the casual gamers pretend to be. I actually am busy and have a shit load going on. Fun stuff of course..

I don't play 3 games at a time for 2-3 hours a day and gain all kinds of achievements in game to pretend like I accomplished something. That's actually not fun for me. I don't need that instant gratification. I'm perfectly happy with a slower paced game that requires a bit more attention to detail.
i agree. i don't have near the time that i had over 10 years ago, but i really don't believe a game made today should cater to me (or anyone in my demographic). i'd love to play a game that was slower paced, that took longer to level and to experience and had harsh death penalties and open dungeons and all the other stuff the original EQ had. no, i wouldn't be able to play it 10 hours a day anymore, but i sure as shit would enjoy the free time i did have to play it a lot more than any game that is currently available. smed said that he scrapped the first two versions of EQN because of how similar it was to WoW, so i'm hoping that means a return to their EQ roots, but i doubt it. what we'll probably get is a game that smed "thinks" is unique and fresh but is just a regurgitation of 3 or 4 other MMO's, none of them which is EQ.