EQ Never

Randin

Trakanon Raider
If you think 1st person view only merit is "immersion" then you're wrong.

Limitations adds to tactics and challenge. 3rd Person View gives you too much information that your character shouldn't have unless they have a high tech radar installed.
I'd say the principle issue isn't so much the existence of a 3rd person view as it is the ability to zoom the camera half a mile out from your character.

I'd actually argue that a nice, relatively close-in, 3rd person perspective is actually more realistic in terms of situational awareness than a 1st person perspective is, as being able to see around your character to a limited degree compensates for the limitations video games have in mimicking the ability to perceive the world, such as being able to pinpoint where a sound is coming from (assuming you don't have a full surround sound system on your computer), the simple ability to quickly change what direction you're looking, and of course the complete inability to physically feel things (as a simple for-instance, if someone attacks you from behind in real life, you're going to immediately know it, because you can feel where the attack is coming from; in a 1st person game, you don't really have anything that effective).

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'd say the principle issue isn't so much the existence of a 3rd person view as it is the ability to zoom the camera half a mile out from your character.

I'd actually argue that a nice, relatively close-in, 3rd person perspective is actually more realistic in terms of situational awareness than a 1st person perspective is, as being able to see around your character to a limited degree compensates for the limitations video games have in mimicking the ability to perceive the world, such as being able to pinpoint where a sound is coming from (assuming you don't have a full surround sound system on your computer), the simple ability to quickly change what direction you're looking, and of course the complete inability to physically feel things (as a simple for-instance, if someone attacks you from behind in real life, you're going to immediately know it, because you can feel where the attack is coming from; in a 1st person game, you don't really have anything that effective).
But I don't think I care for realistic approach in any game (unless the game is built around it) the thing about First Person View is more of a complete different game experience than the 3rd Person View. Each has its own kind of feel to it and it's not only about "immersion" or being "realistic".

I gave Space Hulk as an example (the Board Game) if the board is not designed with narrow passages then the whole point of the game collapses.

There's nothing wrong with 3rd Person View, but I would like to try a First Person View MMORPG for a change. Since we're talking EverQuest here (and EQ started with FPV) it just make sense to really want that to happen again (but it won't, unfortunately).

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
The only way you could build a game with a first-person only view, would be to allow people to use a three monitor setup. That way you'll basically have 180 degree FOV. How badass would that be? Those people playing FPS change their FOV all the time. If you don't, then you're probably playing on a console.

Three monitors. Wrap that shit around me. That would be immersive. Hell, make one of them a touch screen and build the software to allow for touch use. DO IT.
http://www.oculusvr.com/

The first MMO to utilize the Oculus Rift will be crazy immersive. Fast, 110 degree field of view, with head tracking.. SupposedlyStar Citizenwill, but who knows when that will be live.

Gecko_sl

shitlord

Is it feasible to have a rear view mirror in first person view and keep the immersion.
wink.png

wink.png

gogojira_sl

shitlord
SOE Live is happeningAugust 1-4so it'll debut then. There's ateaser logoabout the future of EverQuest.

Laerazi, I keep crossing my fingers for an MMO to implement Oculus Rift support; that'd be amazing. Here soon I think I'm going to bite the bullet and order one. First shipments go out in March (Kickstarter crowd).

Cthon_sl

shitlord
http://www.oculusvr.com/

The first MMO to utilize the Oculus Rift will be crazy immersive. Fast, 110 degree field of view, with head tracking.. SupposedlyStar Citizenwill, but who knows when that will be live.
No kidding. How epic would this sort of direction be? I saw some vids awhile back about John Carmack taking a look at VR possibilities. So instead of having a multi-monitor setup with a massive resolution/hardware requirement, go with VR goggles? Interesting.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Interesting:

The last single player game I played that give me an extreme sense of accomplishment in beating it was Demon?s Souls. How they handled death and re-incarnation of your ghost / body was consistent with their world and fiction and because I couldn?t save mid-level, clearing a level, especially after a difficult Boss fight was immensely satisfying. It was also one of the most frustrating games I?ve played! I think Demon?s Souls was too much on the ?punishing? end of the difficulty spectrum, but it really did remind me of the value of having something to lose when playing. You can?t have light with dark and you can?t have reward without risk.
It's really a shame a studio didn't pick up this game and give Chris Roberts control if development. I have no faith in kickstarter or crowdsourcing, so I have no real hope this will actually be polished and decent.

Deisun_sl

shitlord
So I tried an EQ emulator last night for my first time ever (PEQ) and in roughly 2 hours it made me further realize just some of the other smaller social aspects of MMO's that are missing in todays MMOs. These are small things but as I remember them now, I made many friends and relationships with. It seems so obvious to me now. This is simply just focusing on the smaller details of the "SOCIAL experience" that was Everquest and that current day MMOs stripped out:

The ability to power level needs to come back. How many of you made new friends just by virtue of a higher level person bumping in to you and deciding to help you at his/her own expense? I'm not talking about days (although there were some that would continue to help you forever), but just random 30 minute encounters even. I made a ton of friends by being helped and similarly I made a lot by being the one to help. In current day MMOs power leveling someone is not possible simply by the mechanics that have been coded in to the game just to stop it from happening. But even worse is even if those mechanics WEREN'T in place to prevent power leveling, the pace and ease of the current MMOs do not allow substantial room to do so. Who the fuck needs power leveling in WoW? Nobody. So this ties in with the leveling speed and difficulty obviously. That's a huge topic but I feel like we need to allow these interactions with higher players and lower level players again. That would mean slowing down the leveling curve, changing mob difficulty....SOMETHING! Actually as I'm writing this I'm starting to realize it's not just power leveling, its ANY interaction between higher and lower level players. There are other examples like being able to hand down items. No drop and bind on pickup killed that off. Sorry, this post is poorly organized - I'll fix it later......didn't have time to finish this post (at work).