EQ Never

Caliane

Devs deserve a salute. and probably a hug. what a shame.
pie in the sky I guess. we can't have nice things.

"Go almost bankrupt, get bought out by some random company who immediately guts us and changes the name, then cancels our flagship title"
seriously though, what even the fuck was the going on in the business side? Ran out of money, so clearly someone had incredibly poor planning to try design and launch two mmos at once.. did they think landmark was going to fund it all?
Daybreak shitstorm. again.. what was ANYONE thinking here? why would daybreak buy them? buy then cancel. where is the profit in this?

Bruman

Golden Squire
Any contacts at DBG would be stupid to reveal info.. If it came out somehow, they'd be fired.

There's no way DBG will cancel EQN.. It's too important to them. It's going to have to be the cornerstone game once H1Z1 starts to wane. Frankly, the longer they take, the better. The longer it takes, the less chance they're shoving something out the door unfinished.

The real issue with the destructible world is pathing. You can do it in a single-player game, but it's just not possible when you have to send out that constantly regenerated pathing data to every client in a zone. It becomes a gigantic bandwidth and latency nightmare.
Also, can't help but laugh again at this.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Not surprising, but still disappointing. SOE in a nutshell.

EQN? More like EverQuest Never.

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
Not completely surprised after they mysteriously stopped doing the EQN Landmark competitions; what is interesting is that Landmark is getting a large update and being launched soon.

My initial reaction is they are just servicing the people who bought pre-order packs and it'll be a stillborn launch.. but they have a fuckton of EQN assets they could market into Landmark with low-effort additions into Landmark, so maybe it'll be on life-support.

Either way, I'm checked out of all things Daybreak. How can anyone possibly invest time into such an unstable company's products

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Also, I'd be utterly terrified to see what the game on their internal servers is like if it fails to meet SOE of all people's quality bar. Are the mob graphics just giant cloth caps with clubs that go SLASH!?

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
remember the recent playtest?
From DBG CEO:

"Unfortunately, as we put together the pieces, we found thatit wasn't fun. We know you have high standards when it comes to Norrath and we do too. In final review, we had to face the fact that EverQuest Next would not meet the expectations we - and all of you - have for the worlds of Norrath."

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Obviously this means Blizzard can fire back up Titan development since they won't have to compete with the marketplace powerhouse that would have been Everquest Next!!!!!

Caliane

Obviously this means Blizzard can fire back up Titan development since they won't have to compete with the marketplace powerhouse that would have been Everquest Next!!!!!
honestly, I think we need to talk about this. Titan, wildstar, eqnext, reckogning, etc...
are mmo's dead?

These bite sized half assed mmos' on 3-6month life spans seems to be the only ongoing ones. Things like Blade and soul, etc.
The sweet spot of mmo seems to be gone. We've all talked about us growing up etc. Is the interest still there for a full mmo? Seems too much competition. what market there is, is too spread out, making no one game truly successful. Social media and always online in every game has killed the community aspect that made mmos unique in their time.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Honestly, EQN seemed like it was on the right track for making a successful MMO, if only because they were trying to do something significantly different from other MMOs. Maybe if they had been more focused with what they tried to do differently, they could have pulled it off and actually created a launchable game.

I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if failure came from trying to do both voxels and adaptive AI at the same time, and it just being too much to pull off. Who knows, maybe if they had picked one and just committed to it, they could've made something decent.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
honestly, I think we need to talk about this. Titan, wildstar, eqnext, reckogning, etc...
are mmo's dead?

These bite sized half assed mmos' on 3-6month life spans seems to be the only ongoing ones. Things like Blade and soul, etc.
The sweet spot of mmo seems to be gone. We've all talked about us growing up etc. Is the interest still there for a full mmo? Seems too much competition. what market there is, is too spread out, making no one game truly successful. Social media and always online in every game has killed the community aspect that made mmos unique in their time.
Yeah man MMO's are totally a dead genre, oh wait.. what's that giant fucking behemoth in the corner? Oh just a little game called World of Warcraft