EQ Never

Destante

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yup, I am already done with mmo's atm. Havent played anything outside of p99 and EQtest over the last year or more. The only games on my comp atm are a bunch of Indie games currently playing Driftmoon. If Eqnext is a good game game with half the depth and social aspects of EQ then i will play it, otherwise I just continue on with life as is.

rolx_sl

shitlord
Well I hate raids in general, so they need to change too. I hope someone is making notes. No parsing, no lame UI addons that play the game for you, and no raids. Or at least, new types of raids. I think even if you do like raids, surely EQ2, WoW, Rift, etc.. have delivered everything you ever wanted in that by now anyway? Floor turns red, run away. Mob enrages, do this. Mob flurrys, do that. Etc. The only thing that amazes me about raids, is how this industry has somehow turned a huge battle with a dragon, in to a fucking boring flashdance with number keys. It's really amazing. It takes a real special talent to take something with so much potential to be breathtaking and great, and make it in to something so dull and mundane and silly. And not only that, but they then go and require you to show up to the same thing 50000 times until you get your lewtz.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that MMO's started in the 90's and were kinda cool but also pretty retarded. And in the 14+ years since then, they have just become less and less cool, and more and more retarded each step of the way. By this point, they are just laughable. And it's not even a new joke, it's an old joke, a tired old joke.

Sadly I never saw any of that :\
No raids or UI addons .... you just lost all credibility. Raiding was the pinnacle of EQ, and its always nice to be able to customize your UI and move stuff around. I"m out I don't even know why I come on these boards. No raids.... I've totally wasted my time.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
QFT.

I'm realizing that I can't play the "game" they want. They want a hardcore "world" to live in and, at this point in time, I want a time waster. I'll grind at my job thanks.
It's all relevant within the game.. I never understood this.. I'd be ok logging in and getting half a level in 2 hours. As long as I had fun, I don't really care. EQ did have a grind but a lot of the grinding was cushioned by fun because of the social aspect of the game.

Kegz_sl

shitlord
I live my life a raid at a time. Nothing else matters: not the mortgage, not my job, not my family and all their bullshit. For those 5 hours or less, I'm free.
You cant bet your dads fungi... It's alright, I aint losing, this fools running a Spirit of Wolf. I'll win.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I see a lot of words in qwerty's posts but not a lot of substance. So, explain how the DDR raid fights with all manners of crazy shit more boring than what I can imagine to you is dragon just sitting there beating on a meat shield. Maybe you kite sometimes! I'm over raiding more or less, but I found TBC-WOTLK raiding to be amazing. It lost its charm in Cata but I saw all manners of hero shit in TBC and H. WOTLK shit that me and my buddies still bring up to this day.

As far as UI addons, if I can't resize my bar and move shit on my screen, GTFO. You don't need to allow DBM level addons, but you need to let people reconfigure bars and shit. This isn't the dark ages. A big plus to a game that can make their resource readouts non-retarded. A great awful example are the little runes for the default DK UI in WoW. Nobody fucking uses them because they're hard as fuck to see on most screens.

I'm expecting GW2 with some destructible elements in the world, maybe even on some retarded timer, and housing. Most likely classes will have more abilities and no weapon switching. Make it B2P and put a reasonable shadow knight class and I'll pick it up...maybe.

No raids or UI addons .... you just lost all credibility. Raiding was the pinnacle of EQ, and its always nice to be able to customize your UI and move stuff around. I"m out I don't even know why I come on these boards. No raids.... I've totally wasted my time.
Well if you want loads of raids and ui addons, don't you already have like 500 games to choose from? What more do you want?!

Caeden

It's all relevant within the game.. I never understood this.. I'd be ok logging in and getting half a level in 2 hours. As long as I had fun, I don't really care. EQ did have a grind but a lot of the grinding was cushioned by fun because of the social aspect of the game.
True, but I find myself realzing that if I had to put in what I would have to put in to see in an EQ style game what I'd like to see, I'd just pass. Its why I don't play Eve. Pissy? Sure. Maybe that makes me the new WoW's target demographic: Jaded raider that does LFR to see pixils then does alts/pvp rest of the time.

Don't get me wrong, if there's aprofitablemarket, make said game.

rolx_sl

shitlord
Well if you want loads of raids and ui addons, don't you already have like 500 games to choose from? What more do you want?!
No, thats the problem mostly. Theres no games to choose from. All 3 top games are going to come out at the same fucking time I know it. New FF, EQnext, and that cartoon shit I cant remember the name will all come out at the same time just to burn me. Id play the cartoony one right now if it came out, or the FF reborn. But eqn is the only one with potential win. Back to tf2 mge I guess.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
You do realize that it is raiding that brought almost all of us to this community to begin with right? You think FOH would have become the community it did if it was a run of the mill guild camping Dvinn?

Caeden

You do realize that it is raiding that brought almost all of us to this community to begin with right? You think FOH would have become the community it did if it was a run of the mill guild camping Dvinn?
A lot of his posts sound like the guys you'd get in TBC heroics or early Cata heroics that would BITCH and fucking WHINE because you pointed out they're doing 1/4 the dps of everyone else. I doubt he made it ANYWHERE in any raid game, and, while I agree with the fact that its basically DDR, some of WoW's high end Heroic shit is brutally hard and requires skill beyond breakdancing.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
True, but I find myself realzing that if I had to put in what I would have to put in to see in an EQ style game what I'd like to see, I'd just pass. Its why I don't play Eve. Pissy? Sure. Maybe that makes me the new WoW's target demographic: Jaded raider that does LFR to see pixils then does alts/pvp rest of the time.

Don't get me wrong, if there's aprofitablemarket, make said game.
But wouldn't you rather just take a longer time leveling through the game? Thinking back to your EQ days would EQ of been a fun game for you in your current situation/mentality? I don't have the time of those days but I know I would get a ton of enjoyment in playing EQ anyway. Btw.. I really doubt EQN will have some of those grinds

tad10

Elisha Dushku
QFT.

I'm realizing that I can't play the "game" they want. They want a hardcore "world" to live in and, at this point in time, I want a time waster. I'll grind at my job thanks.
Butler isn't into grindfests (see the quotes 10 pages back) at least not in the way you're thinking. Anyway, I liked EQ and VG (despite the bugs) so I'm looking forward to see what Butler has come up with in EQN - maybe third time's the charm...

rolx_sl

shitlord
A lot of his posts sound like the guys you'd get in TBC heroics or early Cata heroics that would BITCH and fucking WHINE because you pointed out they're doing 1/4 the dps of everyone else. I doubt he made it ANYWHERE in any raid game, and, while I agree with the fact that its basically DDR, some of WoW's high end Heroic shit is brutally hard and requires skill beyond breakdancing.
You know this is true. I did as soon as he started hating on parsers, obviously had a bad experience lol. I'd give u a fucking internet, but you assumed he got into heroics.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Parsers didn't matter much in EQ. There was no limit to raids. They really only started to matter when there were raid caps. In EQ it was more for bragging.

I see a lot of words in qwerty's posts but not a lot of substance.
Only cause I haven't bothered to give any! It's not my job to save this stupid genre.

So, explain how the DDR raid fights with all manners of crazy shit more boring than what I can imagine to you is dragon just sitting there beating on a meat shield.
I think for me, it's not so much the mechanics of the fights in particular, it's more just how raiding works that I don't like. For a start I hate things not being completely random. Having someone know the 'strats' and then preparing for that beforehand is just lame. Also, I hate instances because they feel claustrophobic to me, even if they are outdoor, and they feel artificial because there aren't random noobs wandering nearby etc. I also hate knowing that some other raid could be doing the exact same thing somewhere else at the same time. I hate instances. They are shit, and they ruin the suspension of disbelief these games desperately need.

At this point I think it's totally pointless to even bother making an MMO unless you can make it work like Skyrim. And for the record, I hate Skyrim too because it has the worst combat ever. But what it does have at least, is a pretty good open world where stuff can fly around and swoop down and breath fire on people etc. Of course it all becomes a bit silly when it is scripted to always land and trade blows with people, but for the most part, fighting a dragon was pretty fun, especially as a spell caster because I had to actually shoot at it and usually ended up relying on making pets to help.

The only way I am ever going to be impressed by a new MMO, is if it has stuff like that. Dragon flies over and breathes fire on everyone. Melees can't do anything, maybe they start throwing shurikans or something. Rangers - finally rangers get their day in the sun! Dragon eventually gets injured and crash lands in to a town. You rush there and finally get your traditional 'raid'.

Vanguard worked more or less like that. But nobody played because it was borked. As I said before, I would much prefer a Vanguard 2, than an EQ Next. That game was pretty damn close to being great, if only it wasn't released half baked.

Yeah I know, and I also was part of super importantz raid scenez in the past too. It's serious business. But it's also fucking stupid. I find that I have far more fun being a noob.

Caeden

But wouldn't you rather just take a longer time leveling through the game? Thinking back to your EQ days would EQ of been a fun game for you in your current situation/mentality? I don't have the time of those days but I know I would get a ton of enjoyment in playing EQ anyway. Btw.. I really doubt EQN will have some of those grinds
Yes, in a lot of ways I would like that...if the content is compelling. Camping in a spot and pulling mob after mob after mob is not. I actually would like something like GW2's event system mixed with some of the cinematic Blizz quests and a slower pace. Fewer, more important quests. I'd probably prefer to see raiding being 10 man only too.

I would have quit EQ now honestly though. Same as I did soon as grad school hit.

rolx_sl

shitlord
Only cause I haven't bothered to give any! It's not my job to save this stupid genre.

I think for me, it's not so much the mechanics of the fights in particular, it's more just how raiding works that I don't like. For a start, I hate instances because they feel claustrophobic to me, even if they are outdoor, and they feel artificial because there aren't random noobs wandering nearby etc. I also hate knowing that some other raid could be doing the exact same thing somewhere else at the same time. I hate instances. They are shit, and they ruin the suspension of disbelief these games desperately need.

At this point I think it's totally pointless to even bother making an MMO unless you can make it work like Skyrim. And for the record, I hate Skyrim too because it has the worst combat ever. But what it does have at least, is a pretty good open world where stuff can fly around and swoop down and breath fire on people etc. Of course it all becomes a bit silly when it is scripted to always land and trade blows with people, but for the most part, fighting a dragon was pretty fun, especially as a spell caster because I had to actually shoot at it and usually ended up relying on making pets to help.

The only way I am ever going to be impressed by a new MMO, is if it has stuff like that. Dragon flies over and breathes fire on everyone. Melees can't do anything, maybe they start throwing shurikans or something. Rangers - finally rangers get their day in the sun! Dragon eventually gets injured and crash lands in to a town. You rush there and finally get your traditional 'raid'.

Vanguard worked more or less like that. But nobody played because it was borked. As I said before, I would much prefer a Vanguard 2, than an EQ Next. That game was pretty damn close to being great, if only it wasn't released half baked.

Yeah I know, and I also was part of super importantz raid scenez in the past too. It's serious business. But it's also fucking stupid. I find that I have far more fun being a noob.
Thats hilarious because in EQ2 there was actually raiding just like that. The dragons would fly around and dive bomb down on you and when they came down the fight was on. But while you exp'd in the zones if you saw one of them flying over you fucking hide!!

Caeden

I think for me, it's not so much the mechanics of the fights in particular, it's more just how raiding works that I don't like. For a start, I hate instances because they feel claustrophobic to me, even if they are outdoor, and they feel artificial because there aren't random noobs wandering nearby etc. I also hate knowing that some other raid could be doing the exact same thing somewhere else at the same time. I hate instances. They are shit, and they ruin the suspension of disbelief these games desperately need.

Ah so GW2 events then! I know that's not what you meant, but that will be the 10's version of that...is that what we call this decade?