EQ Never

spronk

FPS noob
What evidence does anyone have to suggest EQ Next will even be any good? Let alone released? I'm genuinely curious. Is there some kind of amazingly talented team behind it or just the same old recycled devs that have worked on previous fail MMO's?
its going to be pretty hilarious when the EQN reveals are made and it turns out the game is primarily focused on PS4 and console players, with PC players just along for the ride.

Dragoon_sl

shitlord
Roughly drawn maps would be cool. Make it so that the character doesn't appear on it. If they take maps out completely then people will use other means. Internet, a pen and paper, cheat programs..

I agree with the ! points above quest NPCs. Take those out.

Sounds like you want an EQ1 remake, I doubt it will be that
I don't necessarily want an EQ1 remake.

All I want is a game that will compel me to play longer than 3 months. The sad thing is that the game companies should have the same goal as me. The longer a player subscribes = more money.

I have played every major MMORPG release since EQ. Like most of us.

I know what keeps people playing after the release and initial "fan-faire". It seems that every MMO released in the past 5 years has missed that concept.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
This conversation is a lot like the diehard Star Wars fans discussing 7-9. Glimmers of hope for a franchise long dead and devoid of epicness. I'm being somewhat exaggerated since eq2 was by and large better than a lot of Mmos released during this time period. The prequels, sadly, were not when it came to movies.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
This conversation is a lot like the diehard Star Wars fans discussing 7-9. Glimmers of hope for a franchise long dead and devoid of epicness. I'm being somewhat exaggerated since eq2 was by and large better than a lot of Mmos released during this time period. The prequels, sadly, were not when it came to movies.
I wrote off SOE back in 2008 or 2009. Mainly because Smed seemed to have gone insane and SOE was only producing crap. But Smed hiring back Jeff Butler for, and Butler incorporating StoryBricks into, EQN have me convinced that Smed and SOE have been born again and there is hope we'll get something good.

I'm particularly thrilled witht the thought that a new game paradigm which the devs aren't used to means we'll get the same old unbalanced crap that made original EQ particularly enthralling. Sure Blizzard will come along in a few years with WoW Next that will take EQN and polish it to a shine, but they'll also remove all the interesting bits.

Of course if EQN fails, I think the MMO market is officially dead except for consolish MMOs like The Division.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Old news but interesting:
http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12...ng-npcs-to-li/

Finding like-minded players is tough in current MMOs. If you don't play with friends, the only criteria that strangers tend to use to judge you in most MMOs are your class, your level or build, and your willingness to commit time to a group. But what if games could facilitate player connections by matching the quality of experience sought by different players? In other words, what is the next step in LFG?

It is about letting players clearly express what they're looking for in their game and creating a way to satisfy these desires. Players should be able to express their PCs' emotions and needs in the game world. This can extend to all goals, beliefs, and values. For instance, you could declare your character to be a champion of Justice, and once you've proven yourself in a storyline designed for this purpose, you'd be put in contact with other Justice-minded characters. Maybe you'll form a new group or faction, adhering to rules and oaths that help strengthen your drive. The game itself would enforce these rules and test you and your faction-fellows with situations. This means that being a paladin is more than having shiny armor and a holy sword. What if actually being just, pious, honest and honorable -- acting in the game world in ways that demonstrate those particular virtues -- gave you in-game advantages and let you meet players who have chosen the same path?

From there, it's easy to imagine new kinds of player organizations that would develop organically like religious orders, trading networks, armies, tribes, political parties, crime syndicates, local communities, and so on. Each group would be defined by what brings its members together: their common values and goals. Since the goals of these organizations would sometimes conflict, player competition would naturally emerge from the existence of such groups. This competition would not necessarily be PvP combat but could take on other forms: Religions may compete to convert characters, merchant guilds might arrange trade routes, or indeed, law-oriented factions may hunt down criminals. By being able to do the things they personally enjoy doing, players would create content for other players.

StoryBricks as a Swiss Army Knife (or Obi-Wan) - here with its LFG function.

Edit: Make that its LFG/e-Harmony function.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
A while back there was someone claiming they were working on EQ Next. I forgot the person/user, but my Google-fu and IP info on them lead me to StoryBricks. At the time I wasn't sure what that was or if it was really related to EQ Next, but seeing all this info now basically tells me whatever that person was posting was probably accurate. I'm not sure if that was here or Morenetz though. I think it was here.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I know there was someone posting under the name Mughal. They claimed they worked for SOE and knew details of EQN?

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Old news but interesting:
http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12...ng-npcs-to-li/
StoryBricks as a Swiss Army Knife (or Obi-Wan) - here with its LFG function.

Edit: Make that its LFG/e-Harmony function.
Oh man, if that's even fractionally true this is going to be a great game to play.

With the rest of the Goons, I mean.
cool.png

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea, we PMed a bit about some stuff but he never really spilled the beans. He didnt deny the whole EQ/Eve/Minecraft hybrid theory. Actually, quite the opposite. But I never was able to confirm him being real. I think he was since didn't share much. Whats the point of trolling if uoure not going make up shit lol... If he was he is most likely on EQN now.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
I'm actually surprised we haven't talked more about StoryBricks here; it's one of the few semi-concrete things we know about EQN, you would think we would've picked it apart half-a-dozen times by now.

But yeah, the more I find out about it, the more excited I am to see it in action. At first, I thought this was just about making npcs more active and dynamic, basically an MMO version of the ai in Elder Scrolls games: daily/weekly/monthly schedules, being members of factions, having a personal disposition towards the player, etc; promising, but not quite revolutionary. But going off the stuff Tad's posted, it sounds like this is also about creating the environment for emergent roleplay: creating game mechanics that guide the player toward acting more-or-less in-character, even if they aren't people who typically consider themselves 'roleplayers'.

Hopefully SOE is using this stuff to its fullest, and not just grabbing a few token elements.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm actually surprised we haven't talked more about StoryBricks here; it's one of the few semi-concrete things we know about EQN, you would think we would've picked it apart half-a-dozen times by now.

But yeah, the more I find out about it, the more excited I am to see it in action. At first, I thought this was just about making npcs more active and dynamic, basically an MMO version of the ai in Elder Scrolls games: daily/weekly/monthly schedules, being members of factions, having a personal disposition towards the player, etc; promising, but not quite revolutionary. But going off the stuff Tad's posted, it sounds like this is also about creating the environment for emergent roleplay: creating game mechanics that guide the player toward acting more-or-less in-character, even if they aren't people who typically consider themselves 'roleplayers'.

Hopefully SOE is using this stuff to its fullest, and not just grabbing a few token elements.
We've tried talking about it before. I even linked the story when I got the info about when it was announced. Like all actual info about the game, it gets drowned out by neckbeard nation talking about shit like having no fucking maps.

Hinadurus_sl

shitlord
I hope the loot won't be randomly generated. It's such lazy design. It works beautifully in games like diablo or poe, but it doesn't belong in EQ. It was more of a WoW thing, I just hope SOE stays away from it.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I'm ok with not having the gps minimap, but that's not a big deal either way. I cant see not having maps, though. Would be a way to fit in another tradeskill maybe, or make it part of whatever trade makes scrolls and stuff. You could get weak maps from npcs to get around, make our own through exploring or buy more detailed ones from players. bonus points for freeform text being possible, but unlikely because of dickmaps.