EQ Never

Nobody_sl

shitlord
You can have your necro group. I'll take my charmed golems in city of mist any day. Enjoy your "CC". I'll take my hasted quad 180's.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
About any class was able to pull mobs, like mages with rooting pet, or shamans with sow and slow on mobs, it was just really a matter of survivability once you got jumped/trained on your way back to group.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I also played a necro and they definitely were misunderstood in groups but a ton of fun to play both solo and in groups. A rare, unbiased group would learn that while not as powerful as enchanters at what they provided, they were extremely versatile. I always felt like an ace in the hole for my groups.

Chakravartin_sl

shitlord
Search is failing me. Was this changed or contradicted by anything else yet?

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/01...actual-releas/

Smedley also hinted that SOE's long-awaited EQNext project may be closer to fruition than many folks expect. While we've known for some time now to expect a playable demo of the fantasy sandbox at this fall's SOE Live convention, Smedley's comments to Gamasutra will probably invite plenty of speculation.

"Players will get their hands on an actual release version of what we're doing late [this] year -- and I don't mean a beta," he said.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We don't even have screen shots... and this crazy fucker is implying that his game will be released this year? JFC Smed, seriously...

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
PS2 launched with 3 continents out of PS1s 10 (?). Apply that to EQN and he launches with just Odus...

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
things happen man. I'd like to think if things were not going so well in testing they would delay instead of releasing broken.

althuna_sl

shitlord
I have some thoughts on this game.

I really wish there was more separation between good players and bad players. For example, I was playing Vanguard tonight and we did Greystone which is a high level dungeon (mid 40's). There was a Sorcerer in the group who was really hopeless at his class. Im not usually critical of people if they are still learning or just a bit behind the curve, but he was 45 so should know better by now, and the curve wasn't even in sight. For example, there is a vital ability the sorc has which is to recover all their mana. It transfers their stamina in to mana, but you cant move while it happens and you can only use it once ever 4 minutes or so. A good sorc balances during this time, uses mana efficient spells, then unloads when the 4 minute wait is nearly over.

This guy literally did not know he had that mana recovery spell. He didn't use it once the whole time we were there. He would just shoot his load and blow all his mana at the start of each fight, and be out of mana the rest of the fight and just stand around doing absolutely nothing. On the rare occasions that we were totally out of combat, he would sit and eat food to try to recover his mana but I think he ran out food after a while, so he was basically OOM permanently. I also have a Sorc so I know that a good sorc played properly, would be probably around 600% more effective. But because the game is generally so easy anyway, everyone else just takes up the slack and nobody even noticed him hanging around at the back slacking off. The group didnt talk at all, they just ran from mob to mob, killing stuff so they didnt even notice this guy.

I miss EQ where people like that would be a major issue in groups, and by level 45, someone would have confronted him on his lazy/dumb grasp of his class.

One other thing, is that I wish the dungeons were more interesting. It's nice that they are not instances but if the result is that it's just dumb mobs standing around waiting to die, then I give me an instance instead... I think what they need to do is really improve AI across the board, I am tired of every mob just aggroing the tank. They need to replace lame traps (like falling through the floor or instant death spiders falling on you), with mobs that do things to catch the player off guard. For example, the group is charging through the dungeon owning everything, then they run in to a room full of mobs that are a bit smarter than usual. The melee mobs attack the tank as normal, but a mage type caster runs to the middle of the room and starts summoning pets to attack the group. And behind him are sorcerer type mobs nuking the group. The group would need to react or die. If they just keep mindlessly tanking and spanking everything, they will get overrun. In this case they would need to change targets, and get rid of that summoner mob. Then the sorcerer mobs, and then finally they can tank n spank the mindless melee mobs. But unless dungeons become hard and scary again, it's not EQ. Vanguard got it wrong somehow. Nothing ever seems to sneak up behind the group anymore. The group just charges through the dungeon clearing a path as they go and nothing ever goes wrong. Occasionally someone might die because the healer is slow and crappy, but in those cases the healer has an instant rez during combat spell, so the dead player is back on their feet before the fight even ended. I like Vanguard but it is pretty dumbed down if you analyse it.

But if they built on that, it could be epic.

althuna_sl

shitlord
One more thing, but having zero customisation really takes something away. Like in rift i play a mage and even when i am just doing dps (not healing or whatever) i have different builds for dps. I have a pyro build which is high damage on one target, and i have an ele/storm build which is good for killing groups of mobs. It seems more satisfying to me to get in a group and the tank pulls like 8 mobs and i start blasting the whole area with lightning strikes. I kind of feel like i made the class and im using the abilities i chose.

But in vanguard every sorc is the same. I just press my hotkeys in the same order as everyone and do the same things. Even though my gear is different, theres literaly no differentce between me and some other sorc (who knows how to play). I might go and they say goodbye and some other sorc comes and just carries on where i left off, they will never even remember me. Unlike in rift where they might think, i preferred that other guy who had all the AoE build, or whatever. A bit of customisation goes al ong way.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I dunno.. A lot of players in Rift just ended up copying the best builds. Maybe it feels like more freedom but that bad sorc would still be bad in rift and the good Sorc from VG would probably have builds very close if not exactly like yours in Rift.