EQ Never

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Better yet, will we be able to inspect and see people's single hotbar to find out instantly who the special little snowflakes are?

Lenas

Trump's Staff
They said that attribute gains are going to be really rare and difficult to get. They also said that every stat will help no matter your class.

Example given: +1 Str may make you jump higher, or Int on a warrior may increase your weapon swing range.

Bruman

Golden Squire
Warrior: Hit A. Put back to corner. Hit 1 and 3 and 4 as you please.

You've done your job, warrior! Sorry about the lost roll on your bracer. You can fight this boss again in 72 hours...if you're on the schedule.

Yeah let's remake that.
What the hell brah, you left out hitting 2. A good warrior knows when to sit to pull snap aggro away from the cleric who sat too close.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Their model is pretty genius. They may actually be able to provide a F2P MMO without the F2P annoyance - all because they have Landmark to to pad their wallets.

It's SoE, so they'll probably turn the greed up to 11. But really, I could see Landmark being able to fund Next completely - if the get a shit ton of players.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Their model is pretty genius. They may actually be able to provide a F2P MMO without the F2P annoyance - all because they have Landmark to to pad their wallets.

It's SoE, so they'll probably turn the greed up to 11. But really, I could see Landmark being able to fund Next completely - if the get a shit ton of players.
They'll get players if they can ship the game. People are bored with WoW and other MMOs and looking for something to play.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Everyone at Arenanet must be bummed right now that everyone is so terrified that EQN has a GW2 combat system. So terrified even that SOE is making a statement that's basically going to say "We're totally not like that GW2 system."

Mughal

Bronze Knight of the Realm
"We want better AI, just not good enough to figure out that there is a cloth healer and if they could focus fire on him/her they would wipe the group"

If you want the trinity you will get the same combat that you have in WoW and its clones. Otherwise you will have the mobs cc'ing and focusing on the healers as their only viable strategy if the AI is done well. Like it happens in most arena fights.

UPDATE: and just to be clear, if you remove tanking abilities then you relegate the fights to endless kites which is not fun either.

If this game was called anything else you gents would be burning it at the stake for being gw / rift clone with Minecraft mini game. But will just have to wait till a month after release like every other mmo before your hatred flows. I shall wait for it

xzi

Mouthbreather
I'm actually looking forward to super rare attributes. Getting +500 str gloves started to get boring. I'd like to only receive them from difficult quests or hard raids having a chance to give them out, that would be neat. I hope they keep their plan of keeping attributes rare but actually useful.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If this game was called anything else you gents would be burning it at the stake for being gw / rift clone with Minecraft mini game. But will just have to wait till a month after release like every other mmo before your hatred flows. I shall wait for it
Someone hasn't been following this thread...

graffiti_sl

shitlord
Fawe, having read your post fully I agree with everything 100%. I for one am open to the new concept and welcome it. Being an avid gamer and EQ fan since kunark it has been hard for me to truly enjoy or create as many memories as EQ originally did. The reason for this is because of how groundbreaking the game was for its time. I had minor feelings that were similar when WoW first came out pre-expansion and Lineage 2's Castle PVP raids are the only moments that have stuck with me since. I hope they can back all of their claims and I for one am all about removing the raid caps and emphasizing the importance of item acquisition.

I played a Ratonga in EQ2 but then again I never mustered enough interest to make it past newbie island.

Anyway, a quick TL;DR:
Pros: Voxels (revolutionary), graphic style (pixar style is fine, will stand the test of time), EQNL (<3 Minecraft)
Cons: Raids (probably capped and wont be memorable), Item acquisition (probably randomized and won't be special), Ratongas
Neutral: Class system (too early to judge, will <3 if like LoL), PvP (too early to judge - huge potential)

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
"We want better AI, just not good enough to figure out that there is a cloth healer and if they could focus fire on him/her they would wipe the group"

If you want the trinity you will get the same combat that you have in WoW and its clones. Otherwise you will have the mobs cc'ing and focusing on the healers as their only viable strategy if the AI is done well. Like it happens in most arena fights.

UPDATE: and just to be clear, if you remove tanking abilities then you relegate the fights to endless kites which is not fun either.
Sure we could brainstorm and come up with other cool ideas besides that.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sure we could brainstorm and come up with other cool ideas besides that.
You can do amazing things on paper, putting that into a game however..

I hope they can back all of their claims and I for one am all about removing the raid caps and emphasizing the importance of item acquisition.
Hasn't someone already said raids were 24 people or something. Also a big part of the game is getting items already. So far you are 0 for 2.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Everyone at Arenanet must be bummed right now that everyone is so terrified that EQN has a GW2 combat system. So terrified even that SOE is making a statement that's basically going to say "We're totally not like that GW2 system."
This made me laugh. Wish I could +1 you.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Dude, it's going to be a fun game. I'm going to enjoy playing it, I think most of the people on this board - even some of the haters - will enjoy it. The two problems with the game has already been identified:

-the EQN class system doesn't seem to give one the same character connection that the EQ had
-the EQN combat system has no downtime.

So I'll play it for a few months, enjoy those few months until I've got my tier 5 monk and have no desire to start collecting other classes and then sit around and wait for SOE to make EQ3 with the billions that EQN will generate. StoryBricks might possibly suck me in for longer, but I'm doubtful.