EQ Never

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
AAANNNNDDD your assuming that you will leave a corpse, to be CR'ed ... most likely when you die you will just pop up with all your shit like nothing happened at your local not-a-quest-hub hub

but I would love CRs!
I can see some sort of marketing version of permadeath like in Wizardry online. One in which it is damn near impossible to die, as you get "knocked out" 99% of the time, but in that small chance you do "die" its for keeps... unless you buy a hypothetical resurrection items like a "Phoenix Feather" or whatever from the Station Store.

Personally, I liked the UO system where you turned into a fucking ghost and when you spoke you only said OoOooOOoo

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
AAANNNNDDD your assuming that you will leave a corpse, to be CR'ed ... most likely when you die you will just pop up with all your shit like nothing happened at your local not-a-quest-hub hub

but I would love CRs!
Except in my post I didn't assume CR's. I just asked a lot of what's. I would assume you actually don't leave a corpse. My main question is how do these earthquakes effect dungeons that you're currently in the middle of running. If you're still in it and an earthquake happens, are you automatically killed? Does it close it up so no one else can join? Are you booted? Are you just in it until you eventually die/port out, and then it's gone?

If you do die, are you basically locked out of that one forever? The example with EQ and its static dungeons doesn't apply here, so now if I do find the same tier one, it's a different randomly generated dungeon. Is that a good thing? Maybe, but it's also kind of annoying if I was enjoying the one I was in. Does it mean I've got to spend an hour digging random ass holes looking for a new dungeon? Or are dungeons all over the fucking place and it's really just a 30 second job to start a new one?

Overall, I think I'm getting at the point that I don't especially like the idea of earthquakes wiping out dungeons. They may do it in a way that's acceptable or even awesome. But I really doubt it.

Caliane

but I would love CRs!
dropping a body in a world with destructible terrain seems like it could be a problem to me.
terrain regen around it? does the body pop on top of it? Either way, problems. aka, digging a tunnel with pickaxe, someone trains an ogre into your tunnel. it kills you. and then the tunnel starts closing up due to respawn. what happens to your body?

I would expect full on returning to spawn point instantly on death/release.
Possibly, body has 5min or whatever timer that just happens to coincide with terrain respawn.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
How awesome would the griefing be if you could shieldbash someones' body into a huge hole as the voxels swollow it.

/shout downedcoinedvoxelgobblelolol

Caliane

you just described what made EQ awesome and what no other game has been able to replicate.
no, he just described the first 10 years of MMOs.
Even in Wow people bitched to no end on travel times and having to walk to raids, camping entrances, etc. especially on pvp servers. Oh you want in Blackrock? going to have to corpse run past 90 alliance, or vice versa.

There are MANY things in early mmos that as niche gamers we put up with. Or might even have enjoyed, that the masses simply will not. If you want EQnext to have 150k subs, then sure, ask for those old school methods. but then expect the same kindof budget in design. A number of Kickstarter and crowdfunded games try for just that.

Caliane

How awesome would the griefing be if you could shieldbash someones' body into a huge hole as the voxels swollow it.

/shout downedcoinedvoxelgobblelolol
Gravedigging profession. My god.

oh oh oh. Undead pc's from bodies that got swallowed too!

Siliconemelons

I think there are going to be certain levels and regen rates to the world and terrain

Also I do not think there is going to be that many mobs etc in the "static world" - your going to be wondering around and find some orcs or or shit but nothing that's going to kill you- maybe a dragon - but anything "big" is going to be sought out. Lets say you where wondering around commons, found some skellys that seem to be in one spot and emerging from somewhere close by- you investigate and dig around down some and discover befallen- you most likely are going to only discover its entrance and then your in an instance of befallen- now you say how long is that little hole you dug from commons to befallen going to last? eh who knows- its most likely going to "know" that you have gone from point A to B and keep that path open longer than- LULZIMADEHOLES user #9481298321 that's been hammering random shit around commonlands all day. Also if there is a sandstorm and your little tunnel got covered up- you still know in general where to go- what to do- to get back to befallen...

Now "random" content generated and discovered? ehh no idea how that is to be handled... I also am not digging the vibe that 90% of the world has 3 full layers of the world under it...and I cant explain it I just don't like it.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
EQ shared some bedrock elements with other mmos but there were certain nuances to the game that haven't been explored since. Travel in EQ was different from travel in WoW. Death in EQ was different. The social dynamics were different. Just because two games have levels and raids doesn't mean they're the same.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Even in Wow people bitched to no end on travel times and having to walk to raids, camping entrances, etc. especially on pvp servers. Oh you want in Blackrock? going to have to corpse run past 90 alliance, or vice versa.

There are MANY things in early mmos that as niche gamers we put up with. Or might even have enjoyed, that the masses simply will not. If you want EQnext to have 150k subs, then sure, ask for those old school methods. but then expect the same kindof budget in design. A number of Kickstarter and crowdfunded games try for just that.
So I'm tossing around an idea I thought of about 2 secs ago.. People can probably pick holes in it but maybe we could expand on it too. So it makes sense and has purpose..

Seems like some of the issues for people in EQ are travel and buffs. People dont want to have to wait on those things. SO I have 2 ideas.. The first idea would be to add them to tradeksills and have the class that has the buff/port play a part in making the item. Even if it's just casting the spell on a one use clicky. So you could buy a port clicky from a trader. He needed a Wizard or druid to actually cast that spell on the clicky to lock in the port. SO it makes travel/buffing less tedious but also promote crafting and the economy.

My other idea isn't fully thought out yet but basically it involves.. I guess we will call it a Utility statue or well. Let's just go with a statue for now.. It would tie in to your faction with a god. Basically you could donate buffs and ports(1 of each spell) and attach a value to it. When someone buys say a buff you would split the money with your god which would in return give you favor and eventually unlock god specific abilities.

Again these things need purpose and I haven't spent a whole lot of time thinking about that end. Just looking for a solution to keep some of things we enjoy in MMO's but make them less tedious for the average player

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
wrong. The challenge to Cazic was breaking Fear and not whipping at 3am in the morning trying to clear it then having to find outside help to revive your dead guild. The challenge to Innoruk was breaking Hate, the challenge to Nagafen was holding down the camp, making guild treaties and keeping others away while you were waiting for it to spawn. Then if it spawned at 6am in the morning finding people to kill it. Those were the challenges to those bosses. You're missing the entire point. This is why you morons play new MMORPGs for 1 month then quit then wonder why games are so fucking boring and easy now.
No, that sounds really shitty. The "challenge" being you vs your sleep/work schedule isn't something to brag about or long for. Breaking fear was mostly based on luck or load times. Calling other MMOs boring and easy because they are more based on the player than uncontrollable outside recruits is just stupid

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

Yet the only periods of rapid growth in the industry came from games built with some of those things in the mix, and rapid shrinkage in the markets came as they were diminished. Odd.

I get what you're saying, but I find it ironic that people preach this like gospel, when, in fact, we've seen markets shrink when these things are removed and grow when they are in place (to some degree). From WoW Vanilla's success--I think it's hard to argue that accessibility is not needed (It most certainly is). But I wouldn't be so quick to throw out any trace of those other elements, either (For instance, my post on efficiency vs difficulty--how an attempt to make something more casual friendly, can actually make it less so). In any case, we've obviously seen hyper-accessibility isnota key to success. It's pretty obvious that these "old school" methods might havesomekind of component,even if diminished, in what makes a "good" online RPG.

Dismissing them out of hand, when this market is contracting rapidly as these concepts have been taken out? Seems a little odd. I think, it's safer to say, there needs to be a mix. Maybe only a small pinch of those more frustrating components, but some kind of mix.