EQ Never

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Three in a row!

rrr_img_40221.png

slicedmass_sl

shitlord
its funny because as if they have even designed that part of the game to say that. Sure they can hope and pray that it will turn out like that but its all in their hopes and dreams.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
What's really going to determine Sandbox vs Themepark is going to be crafting. From their weapons page, it seems like weapons have tons of sub-components. And if you need hundreds of pieces of armor to outfit all your different classes, it could create a pretty voracious economy. For example, if "major" pieces of gear were gotten from PvE slots like say, Chest plates, Helms, Weapons, Ring, Legs, Feet (Since there are only 6 slots, I guess that's it)--and each of those can have "slots" in them, kind of like the D2 gem system, but far more broad, and those sub-components are mostly crafted?

So, if normal Tier 4 Chests have 10-14 slots (Extra slots could represent rarity)...Then you could have say...

"Froglock Robe of Tidal Fury" [12 Slots, -5% Mana Cost on Water/Ice Based spells, +10% Swim Speed, +1 Range on Water/Ice]. Each slot piece though, is crafted. So you could add "Rune of Tidal Fury +2% Water AE 1 Slot" or "Rune of healing rains, 15% chance to proc a self heal when casting water spell" 4 Slots ect ect.

The main point would be, crafters would be the ones to fill items with cool sub components, and since there are no "nodes" in the world, rather you can find material right in the ground? You could have all sorts of combining combos, just like minecraft, to create sub-components and each combonation of raw material can produce subcomponents with very different effects, but maybe an overall theme. So like if you add Copper, then most likely your subcomponent will aid lightning in some way, but how is determined by the amount of copper vs other elements.

This could create thousands of recipes, and given how people are collecting classes, it could create a massive crafting market--because as new content is released, people will want to build specific class (And so, Items) based counters to the content.

Anyway. Not sure if it would work, as it's not a "durability" based sandbox (Like eve and UO were), where in the desire for crafting was based around need to replace gear/items. Instead, this will be more like generational economics, where the need for new production comes from "new" demand (IE new classes.). It could be sandbox? But it's going to depend on their implementation. And as I said earlier, I trust Sony as far as I can throw them (Literally throw the whole building the company is in.)

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
5 man groups confirmed? OTOH, if you have 5 warm bodies you can possibly, depending on the dungeon, complete it! =)

slicedmass_sl

shitlord
It's a day or two old, but I don't think it's been posted here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...entated-launch
Yeah we saw the video where he says they are focusing on the pc and mouse/keyboard but it seems not so genuine so far. Who knows but I really feel they want to unveil that its for ps4 at a later date so are trying to keep the conversation off the ps4 until they announce it at gamecon or PAX or what have you.

Banal_sl

shitlord
The rest of the world is sandboxy: no static spawns, no quest hubs, 'dynamic' AI, destructible terrain, multi-layered zones, procedurally generated dungeons, probably some sort of player housing/building, probably mostly player/tradeskill-driven economy, etc. The Rallying Calls are for story-driven events.
None of that is a sandbox. That is content. Content is neither a "sandbox" or a "themepark." Content is what goes inside a sandbox or themepark. Dynamic spawns or lack of quest hubs or AI can't define a sandbox. Destructible terrain that resets itself every 30 minutes isn't a sandbox.

If I, the player, can shape content to determine "win conditions" and have a meaningful, permanent impact on the world, then I'm playing in a sandbox. If the developers are determining win conditions, it doesn't matter how you dress it up. That's a theme park. For example, if my reward is developer determined carrot X (loot, a class unlock, an ability, experience, money, etc), for doing Y action, that's a quest. It doesn't matter that I have to find the mob, or kiss his ass, or bake him a cake or whatever. He may not have an exclamation point over his head, and he may have caught feelings, but that's a quest giver.

The difference between a rallying call as described and WoW daily quests is iterative. You show up at a place, you do something for someone, and you get a reward. Presumably, these will be great places to show the faction that gives the class you want how much you deserve it. I find them some logs, or wolf pelts, or kill someone they don't like and I get a carrot (badge, faction points, gold). However, I don't durably affect the world. That's a theme park. More accurately, it's a Skinner box. The box might look a little different. It may even be a little bit more complicated. It's still a Skinner box.

Player housing is a little bit more like a sandbox, but unless it's related somehow to player interaction, then it's pretty pointless. If I can't affect other players with my player-created structure, or have them affect me via it, it's a little masturbatory. I'll give this one the wait and see approach because implementation is everything here.

Finally...dynamic content. Dynamism is just a red herring. It's the difference between It's a Small World Afterall and Space Mountain. WoW is fantastically dynamic. Phasing is dynamic. WoW combat is dynamic. WoW is not a sandbox.

Look...it makes little difference to me. I'll play a fun theme park game and I'll play a fun sandbox game. It's just amusing to me how the hype has shifted away from one buzzword to the next buzzword without skipping a beat. We all move on as we're distracted by the next shiny, forgetting the last one.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Finally...dynamic content. Dynamism is just a red herring. It's the difference between It's a Small World Afterall and Space Mountain. WoW is fantastically dynamic. Phasing is dynamic. WoW combat is dynamic. WoW is not a sandbox..
As planned, SB is nothing like this. As applied? We'll see.

Banal_sl

shitlord
Procedurally derived and scripted win conditions can both be learned and gamed. It's qualitatively similar.

Also, that video...

The guy says something like: "So you're experience in the game is different, depending on when you started playing the game!"

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
None of that is a sandbox. That is content. Content is neither a "sandbox" or a "themepark." Content is what goes inside a sandbox or themepark. Dynamic spawns or lack of quest hubs or AI can't define a sandbox. Destructible terrain that resets itself every 30 minutes isn't a sandbox.

If I, the player, can shape content to determine "win conditions" and have a meaningful, permanent impact on the world, then I'm playing in a sandbox. If the developers are determining win conditions, it doesn't matter how you dress it up. That's a theme park. For example, if my reward is developer determined carrot X (loot, a class unlock, an ability, experience, money, etc), for doing Y action, that's a quest. It doesn't matter that I have to find the mob, or kiss his ass, or bake him a cake or whatever. He may not have an exclamation point over his head, and he may have caught feelings, but that's a quest giver.

The difference between a rallying call as described and WoW daily quests is iterative. You show up at a place, you do something for someone, and you get a reward. Presumably, these will be great places to show the faction that gives the class you want how much you deserve it. I find them some logs, or wolf pelts, or kill someone they don't like and I get a carrot (badge, faction points, gold). However, I don't durably affect the world. That's a theme park. More accurately, it's a Skinner box. The box might look a little different. It may even be a little bit more complicated. It's still a Skinner box.

Player housing is a little bit more like a sandbox, but unless it's related somehow to player interaction, then it's pretty pointless. If I can't affect other players with my player-created structure, or have them affect me via it, it's a little masturbatory. I'll give this one the wait and see approach because implementation is everything here.

Finally...dynamic content. Dynamism is just a red herring. It's the difference between It's a Small World Afterall and Space Mountain. WoW is fantastically dynamic. Phasing is dynamic. WoW combat is dynamic. WoW is not a sandbox.

Look...it makes little difference to me. I'll play a fun theme park game and I'll play a fun sandbox game. It's just amusing to me how the hype has shifted away from one buzzword to the next buzzword without skipping a beat. We all move on as we're distracted by the next shiny, forgetting the last one.
It's content, sure. But a true sandbox would just be an empty world. The content just helps drive players interaction, which is what a sandbox is all about. I don't think EQ Next will be a 'true' sandbox, hence why I said 'sandboxy', but there will be much less handholding and on-the-rails gameplay (or so they claim).

I (and I don't think anyone) has every claimed that Rallying Calls were a sandbox element. It's just their story driving mechanic. It's why I didn't list it in my 'sandboxy' list.

And dynamic content...If you want to claim WoW is dynamic in comparison to what EQNext is promising - then I think we have very different definitions. (Or you just haven't read much about EQ Next). StoryBricks, if it works as they claim, can do A LOT to contribute to player interaction.

turbo

Molten Core Raider

By your definitions then I must say I have zero interest in any sandbox type game because it sounds boring as hell and something only a bunch of hippies would go play (good for you hippies, carefree for life ?!?!).

I guess when I look at MMO's the main thing I wish they would strive for is create the illusion of choice and lack of rails. Multiple options, multiple rewards based off difficulty, attitude that not everyone deserves to be treated equally and get to beat the same content etc. I wouldn't want a game that they didn't define results for actions....playing a game with no defined purpose(s) is just stupid for me (people's milage may vary). I can hardly enjoy a single player game anymore knowing its short lived and the day after I beat it its over.

Ya....not much point to that rambling but I am bored waiting for FFXIV to release...

Banal_sl

shitlord
It's content, sure. But a true sandbox would just be an empty world. The content just helps drive players interaction, which is what a sandbox is all about. I don't think EQ Next will be a 'true' sandbox, hence why I said 'sandboxy', but there will be much less handholding and on-the-rails gameplay (or so they claim).

I (and I don't think anyone) has every claimed that Rallying Calls were a sandbox element. It's just their story driving mechanic. It's why I didn't list it in my 'sandboxy' list.

And dynamic content...If you want to claim WoW is dynamic in comparison to what EQNext is promising - then I think we have very different definitions. (Or you just haven't read much about EQ Next). StoryBricks, if it works as they claim, can do A LOT to contribute to player interaction.
A pure sandbox is impossible. To extend the metaphor, you need shovels, buckets, molds, etc. to make your castle. But you decide what to make with the tools and youmakeit. You don't just play through what someone else, i.e. developer or AI algorithm creates.

Player interaction is another red herring and has little to do with player side vs developer side content generation. Minecraft by yourself is super sandboxy and has no player interaction. EQ and WoW heroic raiding require a lot of player interaction and are on the theme park end of the spectrum.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
A pure sandbox is impossible. To extend the metaphor, you need shovels, buckets, molds, etc. to make your castle. But you decide what to make with the tools and youmakeit. You don't just play through what someone else, i.e. developer or AI algorithm creates.

Player interaction is another red herring and has little to do with player side vs developer side content generation. Minecraft by yourself is super sandboxy and has no player interaction. EQ and WoW heroic raiding require a lot of player interaction and are on the theme park end of the spectrum.
You are arguing in circles.

What's the point you're trying to make again?

Banal_sl

shitlord
By your definitions then I must say I have zero interest in any sandbox type game because it sounds boring as hell and something only a bunch of hippies would go play (good for you hippies, carefree for life ?!?!).

I guess when I look at MMO's the main thing I wish they would strive for is create the illusion of choice and lack of rails. Multiple options, multiple rewards based off difficulty, attitude that not everyone deserves to be treated equally and get to beat the same content etc. I wouldn't want a game that they didn't define results for actions....playing a game with no defined purpose(s) is just stupid for me (people's milage may vary). I can hardly enjoy a single player game anymore knowing its short lived and the day after I beat it its over.

Ya....not much point to that rambling but I am bored waiting for FFXIV to release...
It's not that there can't be any developer side carrots. There has to be some "value" in the world. The most basic drive is competition for resources.

You are arguing in circles.

What's the point you're trying to make again?
I haven't seen any sandbox elements described in EQNext (with the possible exception of a robust crafting economy). Which is funny, because just a month ago that's what the game was supposed to be about.