EQ Never

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
Saw this earlier:

With the amount of classes you'll collect, plus gear loadouts for each, it seems it would be a UI nightmare for whatever setup they have.
In 2013 could we not get gear that changes stats and look when you swap specs how fucking hard can that be.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
It just seems that they're so determined to provide players more and more options, that by doing so, they remove any consistency or harshness the world could bring to the player.

If you could multiclass in the original EverQuest, I guarantee you the game wouldn't have had such an impact on people. If the world was easier or more convenient, there wouldn't be as much nostalgia as there is today. The designers need to do well to remember these things.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
If you could multiclass in the original EverQuest, I guarantee you the game wouldn't have had such an impact on people.
Well, as you know technically hybrids like Paladins or Druids are multiclassed - but you traded greater solo utility for being not as good as the pure classes on a raid. The problem with modern multiclassing is there is no tradeoff.

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
Considering finding gear/"specs" is pretty much the purpose of the game, I don't think you'll find that here.
Finding specs yes but with multi classing it's going to be a inventory nightmare, walking around with silk/leather/chain/plate armor with all the weapons/rings/clickies/, and what ever else we need.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
The further we 'progress' in this industry, the more afraid designers become of having players make decisions that are meaningful. I don't understand why. If you level an SK to 30 and decide you don't like it, you reroll another character - you don't hot swap your class.

I just really don't understand where these gameplay decisions are coming from. I want to ask them why it's better for the players to be able to do this, and if that explanation is somehow a good one, then why not go all the way and give me Ultima Online.

I really just don't get the modern gaming industry whatsoever. Stupid design decisions all around.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I just really don't understand where these gameplay decisions are coming from.
In part because of the FTP model, they have to make it easy to get in. There can't be a "hardcore" EQ3 or whatever without a subscription model.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
In part because of the FTP model, they have to make it easy to get in. There can't be a "hardcore" EQ3 or whatever without a subscription model.
Do you think they will have a sub only model available even if EQNL and EQN do great? I'd love to think so but Im not sure.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Interesting idea, reverse hard mode cash shop?
-5000 Station points to unlock corpse recovery option, on death your body stays and you respawn thus needing to ran back to get your gear!
-2500 sp to unlock PVP
-1000 sp to unlock friendly fire
-500 sp to unlock clickable removal on quests choices, you will now have to type in theUnderlinedkey word in the quest text
-250 sp to add sense heading starting a skill 1
-100 sp to unlock kicking for all snake creatures

Willing to bet some would pay it! lol

Dizzam_sl

shitlord
Well, as you know technically hybrids like Paladins or Druids are multiclassed - but you traded greater solo utility for being not as good as the pure classes on a raid. The problem with modern multiclassing is there is no tradeoff.
I think this, as well as other lame design decisions, have to do with ponytail's stupid holy grails. When they sit around thinking about what they've always wanted in an MMO, of course they are going to come up with stuff like "I don't want to have to level up a new class when I want to change." What you won't hear at those retarded meetings are things like "I want to have the inconvenience of corpse runs" or "I want to have a penalty when I die."

The underlying problem is that if any of the main EQN developers were just regular gamers they would be reddit posters. We need a rerolled type developer.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
What you won't hear at those retarded meetings are things like "I want to have the inconvenience of corpse runs" or "I want to have a penalty when I die."
One area where I've always disagreed with Zehn and others is that I believe you can mix hardcore and casual elements in a game. An example I'd use is this: allow players to choose one of three XP curves when leveling - a 10% faster leveling but subject to corpse runs and XP loss, including de-leveling. Normal leveling, no corpse runs but XP loss/XP debt (no deleveling) and -10% slower leveling but no corpse runs or XP loss on death.

You can "Play your way" but playing your way has some consequences. Similiarly, I don't mind class switching, but with consequences. Same sort of thing. You can start a class with no class switching allowed for a 10% XP boost. You can start a class that allows class switching but you lose 50% of your accumulated XP/Levels (so if you're a 50 Ranger and switch to SK you start as a 25 SK) for normal IP. Or you can start a class that allows class switching and you only lose 25% of your level but at a -10% XP costs.

Numbers are just arbitrary for the purposes of this post.

slicedmass_sl

shitlord
One area where I've always disagreed with Zehn and others is that I believe you can mix hardcore and casual elements in a game. An example I'd use is this: allow players to choose one of three XP curves when leveling - a 10% faster leveling but subject to corpse runs and XP loss, including de-leveling. Normal leveling, no corpse runs but XP loss/XP debt (no deleveling) and -10% slower leveling but no corpse runs or XP loss on death.

You can "Play your way" but playing your way has some consequences. Similiarly, I don't mind class switching, but with consequences. Same sort of thing. You can start a class with no class switching allowed for a 10% XP boost. You can start a class that allows class switching but you lose 50% of your accumulated XP/Levels (so if you're a 50 Ranger and switch to SK you start as a 25 SK) for normal IP. Or you can start a class that allows class switching and you only lose 25% of your level but at a -10% XP costs.

Numbers are just arbitrary for the purposes of this post.
I disagree you cant segment it like that. A big thing about EQ was i knew what it felt like to need my corpse and so did everyone else so there was compassion and people were more willing to help because they felt your pain. With no corpse runs for some people they will just ignore you.

Edit: Same goes for xp resses.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I disagree you cant segment it like that. A big thing about EQ was i knew what it felt like to need my corpse and so did everyone else so there was compassion and people were more willing to help because they felt your pain. With no corpse runs for some people they will just ignore you.

Edit: Same goes for xp resses.
I don't know man - the problem with corpse runs for me is that these days I can't stay up until 3am to go on an extended corpse run if I fucked up or if a buddy screwed up.

I actually liked the VG compromise. You could always get your corpse back, but at an XP loss that hurt. So if you could recover your tombstone, you did.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Course they want you to have to carry 1000 things you have to buy 1000 bag slots fools.
That's too unwieldly. How the hell do you find anything that's not actually on the paper doll? I assume each loadout is both a base class/ability and itemization load out. Which could indeed get ridiculous. They'll sell loadouts in batches of 20.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Speaking of which that Bioware writer that most everyone hates, Jennifer Hepler, just quit because of the abuse.
Was she terrible? With all due respect to Polygon there are a lot of terrible people in the industry who don't know what the hell they're doing but somehow managed to get to the game designer or manager level.

Dumar might have mentioned something about that sometime, somewhere.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Was she terrible? With all due respect to Polygon there are a lot of terrible people in the industry who don't know what the hell they're doing but somehow managed to get to the game designer or manager level.

Dumar might have mentioned something about that sometime, somewhere.
She was really bad. She advocated a "fast forward" button for games, so you could skip the "game" parts and go right to the dialogue and cut scenes--and she compares this to skipping parts in books to get to the scenes she can savor. Seriously, who skips parts in books? Whodoesthat? Then she flat out said she doesn't really enjoy playing games because she is bad at them and doesn't have time to do it. Imagine being a huge fan, and finding out someone who is working on your games doesn't even like them...And then the next product that comes out (Dragon Age 2) is terrible. (Granted, if someone wants an interactive movie or book, fine....but that's not a video game.)

She was also attributed to saying that she wants writing in games to be less like "old white men" fantasy, and more like Stephenie Meyer. Which, if true, means she referenced Twilight as the kind of literature she wants to bring to the gaming world. Ugh. (Not sure if she actually said this last part though, the first paragraph she did say.)

Don't get me wrong, there is no excuse for threats against her and her family, that shit is out of line. But her comments were completely were really dumb given the industry she works in.