EQ Never

kudos

<Banned>
There is huge difference between what SoE is saying.. Which is "if you build something exceptionally awesome, cool and better than what we have, we MAY put it in the game", and the stuff you are pulling out of your ass which is "LOL make our game noobs!"

They have dozens of people on staff, who do this erry day, all day. They get paid to do it professionally.. and they are really good at it. They aren't sitting around eating Oreos.

They are looking for users to replace what they already have or augment what it is there.

Jesus.. Some of you people just straight make shit up in your own heads and convince yourselves it's fact.
From looking at those videos it seems to be just as I am describing... They turn a random spot of land into a castle which is exactly what these shit head developers should be doing. I'm almost certain that they said mob placement is automatic and random so they don't even need to do any work other than copy/paste your shitty creation into their live server landscape and BAM job well done.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
You have to see the irony of all this. The developers have created a platform for their customers to develop a game they are supposed to make. It's genius from a business perspective but I don't understand why anyone would want this to be the future of gaming. It's like going in reverse. I should be pulling a $60k salary (pulled out of my ass) if I'm making content for a video game just like all the other mmo world developers.

This is cheaper than even using some shitty korean game developer. Somehow SOE has figured out an even cheaper way of making games than outsourcing. The most amazing part of all this is that if people say the content sucks.. guess what? YOU CAN ONLY BLAME YOURSELVES LOL!
I wouldn't want to see it in EVERY game, but I think it's certainly an interesting concept that works with the model they've developed. I mean, how much of an MMO world is just empty, boring space? Why not lets players design that space and feel involved? With StoryBricks, it really doesn't necessarily matter that every area isn't hand-designed by the developers, the actual game content is really independent of that. They'll design key areas like cities, and 'Points of Interest' and they can let the community be involved in the rest.

They're only going to crowdsource the best of the best. And considering some of the absolutely most intricate and mindblowing shit I've seen in MineCraft - I don't really see why that's a bad idea. Thousands pf players do that shit just for fun in MineCraft, now imagine if their creations can mean something more than just a few hits on YouTube. Now they can be paid for their creations (blueprints) or immortalized in what will probably be a very popular MMORPG.

My point with the $60k salary was that if I'm going to develop your game for you AND it's good enough to be put into your main game then I want to be paid as much as a normal developer. I don't actually know what they make but with the price games cost to make these days I'm sure it's some bullshit inflated salary like $60k.
No one forces you to build shit. If you don't want to be involved, then fuck off and let others do it. I find it tedious as fuck, but some people enjoy building stuff.

And you do realize that they're going to have some sort of 'blueprints' feature so that you can sell your creation to other players, right? So there's a possibility to profit if you build things that less creative players want.

kudos

<Banned>
No one forces you to build shit. If you don't want to be involved, then fuck off and let others do it. And you do realize that they're going to have some sort of 'blueprints' feature so that you can sell your creation to other players, right?
Watch them only give you marketplace currency as payment LOL! That EQNext model as your avatar is supposed to be a joke right? It looks terrible.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Considering how much of the MMO fanbase spends an unhealthy amount of time discussing how they would build an MMO if they were in charge, I'd say Landmark makes a lot of sense. Letting people channel their inner armchair developer towards something productive in some small way seems like something of a win-win.
Um no. Arm chair developer is class, combat system, skill tree, ui, and other game systems. Things pony tail and the other soe guys are doing and pretending you can influence with bull shit polls. This is arm chair artists on the cheap because art/design/world assets take the longest to create and they just started over with reset #3 when they went to a voxel farm design.

Edit: phone so fuck multiple quoting, but the other guy who thinks only the cream of the crop may end up in eqn and most everything will be made by soe? Lol. that maight be true if they are planning a 2017 release after having sunk hundreds of millions in dev costs.
They have literally fuck all created for this game so far. They blew 3 years worth of development costs on prior versions that have been scrapped as wow clones. The only thing they made that they've shown was char animations and combat from the previous wow clone thrown in to an outsourced voxel farm, and the promises of an outsourced ai to make everything not suck. The rest is theories on napkins, smoke and mirrors. You better hope 50+% of the game world is ported from player made shit from eqnl if you have any hope of seeing this game by 2015.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
From looking at those videos it seems to be just as I am describing... They turn a random spot of land into a castle which is exactly what these shit head developers should be doing.

Who says they aren't? Besides.. Devs don't do art assets.. Completely different people. Artists do things like that.

I'm almost certain that they said mob placement is automatic and random so they don't even need to do any work other than copy/paste your shitty creation into their live server landscape and BAM job well done.
This is a troll post, right? You really haven't read much on this game have you? Skimmed it maybe? Where's Monty Hall...

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
I won't mind it if they truly make it a coherent virtual world with the EQL stuff , and not some random shit from thousands of creators slapped together they didnt have to make

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Um no. Arm chair developer is class, combat system, skill tree, ui, and other game systems. Things pony tail and the other soe guys are doing and pretending you can influence with bull shit polls. This is arm chair artists on the cheap because art/design/world assets take the longest to create and they just started over with reset #3 when they went to a voxel farm design.
Randin's point was that once you can use SB in EQN/L you can make your own Mini-MMORPG.

@Kudos I'm going to go with Teekey on this one - he's right - no one is being forced to slave over thier hot computer to make things in Landmark. And again, if it means we ALL get to PLAY THE FUCKING GAME in 2014 instead of 2015 then full speed ahead.

kudos

<Banned>

Who says they aren't? Besides.. Devs don't do art assets.. Completely different people. Artists do things like that.

This is a troll post, right? You really haven't read much on this game have you? Skimmed it maybe? Where's Monty Hall...
I'm sorry did they NOT say during the reveal that mobs will automatically spawn depending on where people are in the game? I seem to remember them mentioning it along with some dumb orcs blocking a road or some shit. Seems pretty automatic to me.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm sorry did they NOT say during the reveal that mobs will automatically spawn depending on where people are in the game? I seem to remember them mentioning it along with some dumb orcs blocking a road or some shit. Seems pretty automatic to me.
There's no static spawns. But they didn't say what exactly causes mobs to spawn, either.

There's probably some logic behind it, and not automatically filling the world 'just because'.

But who knows. So little concrete information.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Randin's point was that once you can use SB in EQN/L you can make your own Mini-MMORPG.
Must of missed this, when did they say sb, or even mobs, would be in eqnl? Nevermind that that still has nothing to do with what i said. even if you could bring sb/mobs in you can't make your own mini-mmorpg, you could just make a mini eqn with different scenery.

dgrabs_sl

shitlord
They are looking for users to replace what they already have or augment what it is there.

Jesus.. Some of you people just straight make shit up in your own heads and convince yourselves it's fact.
Kinda like you just did right there?

People may be unfairly criticizing elements of this game without knowing all the details, but that goes both ways. You can't just blindly defend everything they're doing without knowing if they can do it properly.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
IIRC, they said there would be spawn points and how often they would spawn depending on how many people were around. Spawn points would change/could be destroyed.

There's a lot more than copy/pasting in a dungeon or a village - as noted - places and things have attributes and of course city NPCs have to be built with more complex AI then the average orc. So they've got to do more than put the buildings.

kudos

<Banned>
IIRC, they said there would be spawn points and how often they would spawn depending on how many people were around. Spawn points would change/could be destroyed.

There's a lot more than copy/pasting in a dungeon or a village - as noted - places and things have attributes and of course city NPCs have to be built with more complex AI then the average orc. So they've got to do more than put the buildings.
I don't think they will allow you to place NPC's in whatever you make though.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Thing is they haven't said anything as far as I've seen about letting you use story bricks.
True. But that's really half of why StoryBricks was created - to give players control and let them make their own stories.

Will SoE allow that? We'll have to see. But it was designed by StoryBricks to be used that way.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
i already played a game where i created the entire world and everything and everyone in it, it was called populous and it came out like 25 years ago. not sure of how good of a MMO it would make though.