EQ Never

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The "issues" they say they are fixing are exactly the gameplay elements that made EQ interesting. EQN will suck, guaranteed.

They are so heavily invested in fixing "Denial of service" issues that they have forgotten that that is what EQ was about.

slicedmass_sl

shitlord
The "issues" they say they are fixing are exactly the gameplay elements that made EQ interesting. EQN will suck, guaranteed.

They are so heavily invested in fixing "Denial of service" issues that they have forgotten that that is what EQ was about.
I think they do need to dial some of it back but it still needs to exist and it still needs to create cause and effect.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I can't even hardly stand reading this thread lately. It's so fucking pessimistic.
Eh. I've been moderately optimistic overall despite my reservations about class/combat. But the competition roundtable results and related dev tweets were ridiculous. Talisker might as well be making TESO, and as i said I found the guy very likable, so I'm a little disapointed if this is the direction they're taking.

dgrabs_sl

shitlord
I can't even hardly stand reading this thread lately. It's so fucking pessimistic. What's hilarious is people trash other websites for slobbing all over SoE's cocks, when this forum is becoming just as bad for the exact opposite reason.Oh look at those fucking grease balls talking about their game!Very constructive discussion guys. Perhaps they're trying to maintain balance in the force, I have no idea.

I just wish people would stop exaggerating and using terms out of content simply to take a rimshot at the game. I think the 'Denial of Service' comment is going to haunt them - but I actually 100% agree with them in the specific instance it was used.
It's MUCH more logical to take a cynical and pessimistic approach to new game design ideas than it is to just take the devs' words for it and expect a shining platter of fulfilled promises.

Their PR is absolutely god awful and they're digging themselves holes out of which they'll never climb. Are we being harsh? Yes, absolutely. But this genre has conditioned us to trust nothing we hear, so can you really blame us?

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's MUCH more logical to take a cynical and pessimistic approach to new game design ideas than it is to just take the devs' words for it and expect a shining platter of fulfilled promises.

Their PR is absolutely god awful and they're digging themselves holes out of which they'll never climb. Are we being harsh? Yes, absolutely. But this genre has conditioned us to trust nothing we hear, so can you really blame us?
There's a difference between taking a 'Lets wait and see' attitude with realistic expectations, and just straight up attacking every thing they say, do, etc. People need to stop getting their panties in such a twist and just chill the fuck out. The craziness in this thread lately is FAR from logical.

And their PR is fine. EverQuest Next is so fucking far off that the supposed 'conditioned' MMO veterans freaking out about hype or marketing at this stage is almost comical. Regardless, their biggest marketing tool is going to be Landmark, moreso than meaningless polls on the 'Round Table'.

dgrabs_sl

shitlord
There's a difference between taking a 'Lets wait and see' attitude with realistic expectations, and just straight up attacking every thing they say, do, etc. People need to stop getting their panties in such a twist and just chill the fuck out. The craziness in this thread lately is FAR from logical.

And their PR is fine. EverQuest Next is so fucking far off that the supposed 'conditioned' MMO veterans freaking out about hype or marketing at this stage is almost comical. Regardless, their biggest marketing tool is going to be Landmark, moreso than meaningless polls on the 'Round Table'.
They're ostracizing the most rabid part of their current fanbase. There's no randoms walking in off the street and getting consumed with the idea of EQ:N. The people following the game right now have ties to Everquest or are veterans of the genre, and most of the things they're doing are just pissing these people off. They're not even throwing them nostalgic bones to chew on. Even Reddit is begging to slightly turn. They're not doing a good job, period.

Mellent_sl

shitlord
... when this forum is becoming just as bad for the exact opposite reason.Oh look at those fucking grease balls talking about their game!
Hear, hear. It's one thing to have a rational discussion about a game that is in its early stages of development, but it's another thing to start getting catty because the team behind the game isn't comprised of beautiful androids. I mean, shit, if I were making a game and I came to some forums where people were making fun ofmygood friends, I'd sure as hell want those guys to have nothing to do with my game.

Debate about thegameall you want, guys (because we're here for thegame), but have some basic decency while you're at it, eh?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm

They brought a lot of that on themself when they call a gam EQ NEXT, instead of something else.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
There's a difference between taking a 'Lets wait and see' attitude with realistic expectations, and just straight up attacking every thing they say, do, etc.
Kudos for fighting the good fight but in this case we're not attacking everything they do/say. Almost everyone is very interested in StoryBricks and a lot of people are interested in Voxels. There are a decent amount of people like yourself that are okay with changes to the class/combat system.

The contested RT & comments are different. The people who are in favor of non-constested content are the players who want to play EQN for two weeks and then move on to something else. The people who want contested content are the players who want to play EQN long term. If Jeff Butler and SOE can't distinguish between these two classes of gamers then we're screwed. You can't design a game for the players with ADHD who want to hit max level see a couple things and then move on because that game will just piss off the players who want to play long term. That's why I've reacted negatively to the RT/comments in a way I haven't to anything else they've said or shown.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
They're ostracizing the most rabid part of their current fanbase. There's no randoms walking in off the street and getting consumed with the idea of EQ:N. The people following the game right now have ties to Everquest or are veterans of the genre, and most of the things they're doing are just pissing these people off.
On this forum, you're absolutely right. On the internet as a whole, I don't think so. There's thousands upon thousands looking for a good new MMO to play, if there weren't - shitty MMOs wouldn't be selling hundreds of thousands of boxes on every release. If you think the only people keeping an eye on this game are EverQuest players, then I have a bridge to sell you.

They've been pretty upfront for the past year atleast, that this game was going to be completely different. I can understand people not liking all the design decisions. And that's fine. Maybe it's just not the game for you.

I will be disappointed if every raid mob is instanced, but I'll give it a shot before I claim the game is a complete failure like I've seen some here do.

The people who are in favor of non-constested content are the players who want to play EQN for two weeks and then move on to something else. The people who want contested content are the players who want to play EQN long term.
This is hyperbole. I'm sorry. I personally wish that everything was noninstanced. But to just demean and write off any opposing view is why this thread is becoming stupid.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
This is my new site for sandy vaginas and you guys aren't disappointing me at all. Let's act like this game is really, really close to release right now, hmm? These polls mean nothing and I find it hilarious when everyone gets bent out of shape over every little thing. Much like the stupid painting drama for several days, this too will blow over...when something else to bitch and moan about is found. Been playing variations of the same fucking game for over 15 years now but let's not make too much different now! Change is bad!

dgrabs_sl

shitlord
On this forum, you're absolutely right. On the internet as a whole, I don't think so. There's thousands upon thousands looking for a good new MMO to play. If you think the only people keeping an eye on this game are EverQuest players, than I have a bridge to sell you.

They've been pretty upfront for the past year atleast, that this game was going to be completely different. I can understand people not liking all the design decisions. And that's fine. Perhaps it's just not the game for you.

I will be disappointed if every raid mob is instanced, but I'll give it a shot before I claim the game is a complete failure like I've seen some here do.
If you were a random MMO player with no real connection to the EQ franchise and you happened to notice an article about EQ:N on whatever gaming site you happened to be frequenting that day, then you went and checked the everquestnext.com website and discovered the absolute dearth of information, you would immediately disregard the game.

The only people following this game right now are people whose interest was piqued when they heard "Everquest."

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
If you were a random MMO player with no real connection to the EQ franchise and you happened to notice an article about EQ:N on whatever gaming site you happened to be frequenting that day, then you went and checked the everquestnext.com website and discovered the absolute dearth of information, you would immediately disregard the game.

The only people following this game right now people whose interest was piqued when they heard "Everquest."
We'll just have to agree to disagree. I think many/most ex-MMO players are looking for their next fix, like most of us have been since the original EverQuest.

I think the game actually sounds great to a lot of people right now, because it's still just mostly a concept. A part of this is people allowing their imaginations to run wild with expectations. The big problem is going to be when systems get finalized and it's not like what they described, or not what people dreamed up while aboard the hype train.

Mellent_sl

shitlord
I'm following the game, and I have no ties to EQ. I saw the name "EverQuest" and found it interesting that they were making another game, but I only hopped on the train because I saw they were aiming to create something trulydifferent. To give a bit of insight on how the grass looks from this side, it's pretty depressing that a lot of people are freaking out over the changesjustbecause it shares the EverQuest name.

dgrabs_sl

shitlord
We'll just have to agree to disagree. I think many/most ex-MMO players are looking for their next fix, like most of us have been since the original EverQuest.

I think the game actually sounds great to a lot of people right now, because it's still just mostly a concept. A part of this is people allowing their imaginations to run wild with expectations. The big problem is going to be when systems get finalized and it's not like what they described, or not what people dreamed up while aboard the hype train.
Don't worry, the Storybricks guy reigned them in:

What else would you would want gamers to know about Storybricks?

We just want to keep expectations at a reasonable level and drive down the hype. We have seen some posts suggesting things that would be impossible in 10 years time and others that are possible but it would be very disruptive to have in a multiplayer game with a persistent world.

Mellent_sl

shitlord
On that note, I'd rather be pleasantly surprised when the game comes out rather than find out that "The Second Coming of Jesus" was just the name for a Mexican birthday clown's first ever performance.

Couloir_sl

shitlord
Perhaps I'm a little biased from reading all the venom in this thread but I do think the marketing/pr strategy seems kinda wacky and inept.

Kinda feels like this project wasn't truly ready for a reveal but they had to start pushingsomethingout after years of development. Some execs at Sony above this whole SOE outfit must be growing more and more impatient just like the rest of us.

Like where's the eye-popping cinematic from Blur? Where's Mr. T and his night elf mohawk? I guess it's way too early to really be spending big $ on those sorts of things but at some point you would think that they wanna start treating this shit like it's their blockbuster movie of the summer.

Something else I don't necessarily get is the way they put the developers out there as the primary salesmen. Their main focus should be making the game, not talking about it. That's what your sales department is for. At least bring in a marketing/pr guru with some more emergent intelligence that can coach this team up a little on their pitch.

Dizzam_sl

shitlord
On this forum, you're absolutely right. On the internet as a whole, I don't think so. There's thousands upon thousands looking for a good new MMO to play, if there weren't - shitty MMOs wouldn't be selling hundreds of thousands of boxes on every release. If you think the only people keeping an eye on this game are EverQuest players, then I have a bridge to sell you.
This is my biggest problem with their approach. They don't care about the community that exists at this point; you know, the people that areacutallyfollowing the game? They are targeting the massive blob of casuals and non-gamers out there. They are targeting LoL players that they think they can steal by making their game more like LoL. And the super casual people who play things like Farmville, because there are more of them than there are of us.

I'm not saying it's a bad business decision, of course it's a good one. It's also called selling out, and its a disservice to the industry as a whole. They want to go this way, that's fine. But don't pretend like you're creating the next greatest MMO. Winning the popularity contest certainly doesn't make you the better game. There are at least a handful of games that are far less popular than WoW, but that I would consider to be better games.

I'm still going to play this game, but from the way things are looking, I'm not going to be telling stories about playing this game 10-15 years after I'm done playing. At this point it seems pretty obvious they care less about making that kind of game than they do about making more money. So yeah, I'm going to keep complaining about their decisions.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
This is hyperbole. I'm sorry. I personally wish that everything was noninstanced. But to just demean and write off any opposing view is why this thread is becoming stupid.
No it's an over-generalization, and as such both over and under inclusive. There are players who want things handed to them who will play long term, and players who want competitive content that will leave relatively early. However, like many generalization it is mostly true. A large percentage of players who do not want competitive content won't stick around once they've been handed the end-game. Again, this is the lesson SOE should have learned from DCUO where you could get everything and where all major content was instanced. DCUO crashed a month out after everyone had consumed all available conntent.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Kinda feels like this project wasn't truly ready for a reveal but they had to start pushingsomethingout after years of development. Some execs at Sony above this whole SOE outfit must be growing more and more impatient just like the rest of us.
The claim is that they can't reveal everything because they're afraid the player base couldn't handle it - contrast this with the statement back in March where they said they would "reveal everything." So yes, the marketing & PR is beyond retarded.