EQ Never

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I'm guessing you don't think Brad is capable of making another successful MMO
Quite the contrary, I think Brad's clear love of fantasy can be seen in his body of work, and I trust his judgement to create an interesting and engaging world more than anyone else.

However, do I trust him to make a great game? No.

I guess it all depends how you define 'successful' MMO.

I wouldn't necessarily consider EQ a straight up fluke. But... it sure as hell had a lot of things that came together that somehow worked out. Everything from how the combat system worked to being able to get instagibbed by a random NPC on hitting auto attack.... lots of things that people would never go for today, but somehow worked and was part of the charm/nostalgia around EQ

Honestly, most good games come out of situations like that. Once they are in the "SOE/EA world" the games seem to go to shit. Middle managers and devs who are no longer concerned with the game and more their career end up in charge, and bland , lifeless shit is the result.
Yeah, think of all the various sandbox and indie games that have become cult hits compared to the regurgitated shit a lot of "big names" put out

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Quite the contrary, I think Brad's clear love of fantasy can be seen in his body of work, and I trust his judgement to create an interesting and engaging world more than anyone else.

However, do I trust him to make a great game? No.

I guess it all depends how you define 'successful' MMO.
You kind of gave me a yes and no here.

Personally speaking.. I think Brad is capable of designing and running a team that can make a profitable MMO. If I had to elaborate on that I would say a niche mmo. Mostly likely PvE. Just b/c that tends to be where his passion and experience is.. If he were to come out and say he was making a modern day FPS MMO I would be much less optimistic..

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
So is anyone actually excited for this release? It looks HYPER gay to me.

I am an original EQ zealot so yes I am qualified to comment on this.
I'm looking forward to Landmark mostly. As a big Minecraft junkie I really want to see if they can pull off properly splicing Minecraft with an MMO.

Mick

<Gold Donor>
I'm looking forward to Landmark mostly. As a big Minecraft junkie I really want to see if they can pull off properly splicing Minecraft with an MMO.
My concern with landmark is it is going to be cash shop dependent to really do anything in it.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
My concern with landmark is it is going to be cash shop dependent to really do anything in it.
The are monetizing the actual land, so I'm guessing you are right. Anything beyond a very simple house will probably cost either a small amount of money or a huge amount of time. Just budget $60 for it like a normal game purchase if you enjoy it and I'm sure you'll be fine.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
That is a concern. SoE definitely does not have a good history of intelligently designed FtP plans. One of my worries is if they restrict what people can do or not in terms of Mobs. If they leave it free form enough then I could see some really awesome dungeon type stuff coming from the community. On the other hand if they lean more towards the EQ2 dungeon builder type stuff where it's fairly restrictive then they could wind up choking quite a bit of creativity.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
EQ2 just rolled out a bunch of shit from their Landmark'ish tools. Getting players to pay for making their own stuff, and then turning around and selling it to other players? Brilliant twist on the Company Store scam.

Curious how much of it will sell. Some of it is pretty expensive. But it's a great idea to start getting pricepoints for EQ3.

827.jpg

831.jpg

edit:

Then there's literally turds like this. I'm not even sure how that's supposed to be anything other than a fucked up broom. I think it's 5 bucks...

857.jpg

Mellent_sl

shitlord
My concern with landmark is - Why do I care to build a better"er" homestead?
I guess that's why they have the Minecraft/Terraria/whatever style of tiered tool progression and the combat. Perhaps there will be some sort of placeable furnishing progression as well (furnaces etc.) but there really is no incentive to make your house look better (at least in the aforementioned games). That's really just your problem if you don't want to make your home pretty.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Why do I care to build a better"er" homestead?
Why do you care to grind that dungeon for the +2 betterer armor?
Why do you care to run around collecting all the non-combat pets or what have you?

It's a different form of fun, that's why. Some people "get it" and some don't. I personally don't get MOBAs or Battlefield type games, doesn't change the fact that tons of people like them. The PC version of Minecraft is the #4 best selling PC game of all time (source: Wiki) and if you include the Android and Xbox versions it's probably one of the most popular games ever so there's obviously a very large market for this type of thing if SoE manages to get it right.

Mellent_sl

shitlord
Why do you care to run around collecting all the non-combat pets or what have you?

It's a different form of fun, that's why. Some people "get it" and some don't. I personally don't get MOBAs or Battlefield type games, doesn't change the fact that tons of people like them. The PC version of Minecraft is the #4 best selling PC game of all time (source: Wiki) and if you include the Android and Xbox versions it's probably one of the most popular games ever so there's obviously a very large market for this type of thing if SoE manages to get it right.
If it keeps as much depth as Minecraft (which isn't very much IIRC; the depth is pretty much in the variety of materials and literal depth) and adds some combat that is actually interesting, then they game could have a rather large player base. We'll see though. At this point, much of it is in the execution.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider

south park did a pretty awesome job making fun of minecraft in last week's episode. i'll echo the words of the immortal randy marsh: "i don't get it."

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
south park did a pretty awesome job making fun of minecraft in last week's episode. i'll echo the words of the immortal randy marsh: "i don't get it."
I tried watching it but something in my browser cuts the show off at the first break period on their website. Minecraft is definitely one of those games that some people just won't like. Lots of people like clear goals and structure for their play time. MC is very much a game where you make your own fun. I'm hoping SoE manages to emulate that to some extent. But as Mellent pointed out above, there's still just too many unknowns about Landmark for a good guess yet.

Tol_sl

shitlord
Yeah, minecraft is probably one of the most entertaining games I've played, but the caveat there is that there isn't much structure or "game" as much as it is a sandbox toolset to do whatever the fuck you want. Some players will play hundreds of hours, making amazing creations with lots of cool redstone systems. Other players will spend 10 minutes, not find a glowing "!" mark, and get bored and quit. It's two ends of the spectrum, guided entertainment color by numbers verses a world that players create their own fun in based entirely on their own creativity.

Bruman

Golden Squire
If you enjoy playing with legos, you'll probably like Minecraft.

If you can only play with legos if you have an instruction sheet, you'll probably not like Minecraft.

bayr_sl

shitlord
Yeah, minecraft is probably one of the most entertaining games I've played, but the caveat there is that there isn't much structure or "game" as much as it is a sandbox toolset to do whatever the fuck you want. Some players will play hundreds of hours, making amazing creations with lots of cool redstone systems. Other players will spend 10 minutes, not find a glowing "!" mark, and get bored and quit. It's two ends of the spectrum, guided entertainment color by numbers verses a world that players create their own fun in based entirely on their own creativity.
The autism spectrum maybe. If I give you a pencil and a blank piece of paper do you see the infinite possibilities for creation where the average person might doodle a penis and then move on?

Tol_sl

shitlord
The autism spectrum maybe. If I give you a pencil and a blank piece of paper do you see the infinite possibilities for creation where the average person might doodle a penis and then move on?
I don't think that's really a fair comparison. The survival and crafting aspect of the game is decently entertaining (and challenges are fantastic), and it's sold like 40 million copies for a reason. I know dozens of people on my steam list who are not at all the creative types, but can find fun stuff to do in minecraft. Like, one challenge map I did recently was basically a 28-floor dungeon crawl, and another was a treasure hunt in a huge world. There's just a lot of cool stuff you can do with it. Comparing it to MSpaint or a scratch pad is a bit unfair. I do get that it doesn't appeal to some people, but it's pretty cool for what it is.

Mick

<Gold Donor>
I want landmark to be my own private world/server that I can open to the public if I choose with zero limitations and no cash shop from SOE.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I've always played minecraft as more of a survival/adventure game. I will quickly build a homestead, then venture out further and further gathering rarer and rarer materials. With those materials I will craft better tools/weapons/armor. With those weapons/tools/armor I venture further away and find better stuff. Upgrading my base/homestead and building satellite bases with only function, not form, in mind. I also install certain mods that enhance this style of gameplay. It sounds like I'll be able to get at least as much enjoyment out of this playstyle in Landmark as I do in Minecraft, after they've mentioned combat being more than just "oh look random_mob_03, let me kill your AIlessness in 2 hits, get nothing, and move on cause you're there" in the Forbes article.