EQ Never

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Again - I ask - why are they not showing way more if they are at a point to take money ? I've seen one man green lit games have more gameplay shown than this.

If Sony wants you to fund their development why is it not unreasonable to expect them to show more than their napkin scribble bullshit ?

dgrabs_sl

shitlord
Again - I ask - why are they not showing way more if they are at a point to take money ? I've seen one man green lit games have more gameplay shown than this.

If Sony wants you to fund their development why is it not unreasonable to expect them to show more than their napkin scribble bullshit ?
Because apparently they have fans who let them get away with it.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Because apparently they have fans who let them get away with it.
What are they getting away with exactly? Are you being deprived or denied something? People are being allowed to pay to play the game during alpha testing. Big fucking deal.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Honestly it scares me - it's a horrific fucking precedent to set.

Charging for Alpha/beta , so be it , but charging for it with showing almost literally nothing ?

How did UO , EQ , Lineage , AC , DAOC, CoH , EQ2 , WoW ( you see where this is going ) manage to actually ship an actual retail fucking game before charging a dime ?

Is it some mystical lost art ?

It scares me that if it works for them then every damn dev company won't code shit without asking for moneybags first.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Charging for Alpha/beta , so be it , but charging for it with showing almost literally nothing ?
So you aren't against the idea of it.... Just how they marketed it? Strange thing to take umbrage on.

Tell you what... Wait for them to release more info? It's not a time sensitive offer, nor is there limited space. Seriously people. There has to be other things to worry about or be horrified about.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole

How did UO , EQ , Lineage , AC , DAOC, CoH , EQ2 , WoW ( you see where this is going ) manage to actually ship an actual retail fucking game before charging a dime ?

It scares me that if it works for them then every damn dev company won't code shit without asking for moneybags first.
1. It's fucking MineCraft with a decent graphics engine and better tools. It's not like we don't know what we're getting.

2. I can't tell if you're serious, but all those games had $60 box prices with $90 collectors editions - not to mention monthly subscription fees. That was their pricing model, and how they expected to recoup money. Landmark is Free to Play. How can you not expect them to not try and make cash where they can? If Landmark doesn't end up going 'critical mass' like they keep refering to - they're going to be fucked.

3. Won't code shit? Landmark is going into player testing within 2-3 months. It's not a Kickstarter project where they just have some concept art.

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
Very informative livestream is up:

- 30m of construction shown..
- Two wipes planned. One from alpha to closed beta, and another from closed beta to open beta
- First wipe you'll lose your plots, and character progression
- Second wipe is "softer"
- In both situations, you will keep your templated creations
- All Founder perks will persist, forever
- The tools won't degrade. The pick is the best tier 1. The axe is the lowest tier 5 axe, and can harvest anything requiring an axe.
- The higher grade item in the tier, the faster it can harvest
- As you play the game, you unlock builder tools, including flight
- HUD shown : Traditional MMO hotbar with a bunch of tools mapped to it (Keys 1 - 7)
- Create / delete shapes of different sizes
- Heal Brush - Restores world back to it's original state
- Smoothing Tool - Block / Sphere Brushes that can erode / smooth at varying sizes
- Painting Tool - (Material Menu shown) Moss painted over stones, grows random plants while painting
- Line Tool - Create with arbitrary angles, select any two polygon and create an angle between them. Change size of the endpoint (good for buildings, rooflines, etc.)
- Selection - Grab different faces, change the size of a volume, and effect that selection with your other tools (like fill, delete, etc)
- Copy/Paste
- Axis Rotation
- Template Saving (these can be sold)
- Smallest voxel is about the size of a characters head
- Props: Premade items that are created through recipes and can be placed in the world
- Props can be rotated and fine-tuned after placing
- Alpha will have NDA, others are undecided
- Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Modern styles all doable. Nothing is strictly enforced
- Biomes : Lava, Swamp, Temperate, Mountainous, Beaches, Tundra, Desert, Jungle, etc. All the typical climates
- Water : Of course, it's just not finished
- More environments will be added over time
- How big is the world? Continent-based, continents are around 4km x 8km x 1.5km high
- If you heal, do you get resources back? Yes
- As EQN is being developed (stories, quests, etc.) all of those features are going into Landmark. By the time EQN is out, Landmark will be filled with it's own worlds
- Landmark is never going away. It's a fully-supported game, not a phase
- If you don't want to build anything, is there stuff to do in Landmark? Exploring, collecting resources and selling them to builders. Freely explore between worlds. Combat will be coming eventually
- Exploring beneath your feet. Higher tiers are lower down; have to find or trade for the best resources
- Can give permissions to your claim (or open up to everyone, if you wanted)
- Customization : Gender, Face, Hair, Skin for starting
- Well-done player creations will be spotlighted by devs
- Opening/closing doors will be in by launch

Twitch - EQN Landmark Livestream: 11.13.13 at 4PM Pacific!

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So you aren't against the idea of it.... Just how they marketed it? Strange thing to take umbrage on.

Tell you what... Wait for them to release more info? It's not a time sensitive offer, nor is there limited space. Seriously people. There has to be other things to worry about or be horrified about.
I'm against it..I don't think alpha should be something people pay to get in. I say that based on poor beta experiences with SoE in the past. They didn't get it right with a dedicated, hand picked group but somehow the people who pay their way in will do a better job? I can't wait until all the unproductive, I paid for this shit!! post start.. I also don't like how they throw around the term most dedicated to the people who are willing to pay $100 for access. I was very dedicated to this project and would of had no problem buying a pack had it started with closed beta and the 2 day early access and the kind of info we expect from an AAA MMO at this point. To me that should of been the premium package. I get this is a buisness but they are slowly pushing the bar in a direction that some of us don't feel comfortable seeing the industry go in. We all have our limits.. Think, what are yours? Would you of paid 125, 150 or 200? Eventually you will see those numbers and you will also see people rationalizing it until the model falls flat on it's face. Before that happens we are going to see a ton of games designed.. not around fun.. but designed around a FTP model that will increasingly nickle and dime us.. I guaranfuckingtee it.

Iadien

Silver Knight of the Realm

What the fuck is the big deal? Either buy it or don't buy it. SOE did the same thing with Planetside 2. People use to buy lifetime subs to games, lol. If this doesn't work, SOE will do something else in the future.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
What the fuck is the big deal? Either buy it or don't buy it. SOE did the same thing with Planetside 2. People use to buy lifetime subs to games, lol. If this doesn't work, SOE will do something else in the future.
Sony showed ,and had ,far more gameplay for PS2 before allowing any money to paid.

Now they've gone one step further.

I don't want them to succeed in this trend and especially don't want other companies trying it.

Hopefully there will be enough NDA rage leaks to blow the whole thing up into a joke.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Seriously?

Ok. One is playing the game in a directed fashion, submitting bugs, stress testing, and working closely with the development team giving feedback and data in a methodical and specific way.

The other is playing a fucking game when they feel like, doing what they feel like and how they feel like doing it. They CAN do the above stuff, but nothing is expected or required of them.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Seriously?

Ok. One is playing the game in a directed fashion, submitting bugs, stress testing, and working closely with the development team giving feedback and data in a methodical and specific way.

The other is playing a fucking game when they feel like, doing what they feel like and how they feel like doing it. They CAN do the above stuff, but nothing is expected or required of them.
I'm starting to think you're mildly retarded.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
The above is a great summary. Watching the replay, there is so much potential with Landmark in ways I never considered. To me this is uber-exciting. One of the thing Georgeson just mentioned was a list of things that could be done "outside of the box": Art teachers could reserve plots for their students, people could build areas for D&D/pnp games(!), co-opt building, etc.

I think whomever noted they aren't following along with the normal usage but rather using the F2P version of "alpha/beta/live". "Soft wipe" between closed and open beta, and no wipe before Live? Wow.

My various takes:

optimistic-they have come up the next jump for MMO's.
pessimistic-they are just making Second Life 2.0 and this is the "Keeping up with the Kardashians" version of MMO development.
cynical-they have just found of a way to monetize the dev tools.
idealistic- I can't wait to play both.