EQ Never

Bellringer_sl

shitlord
How did top guilds put together raids that were so successful with so few players before EQ DPS meters? You make it sound like dps meter analysis was mandatory to get together a successful raid guild, when we all know that is not the case.
B/c you could throw unlimited players at content?

On that topic, limiting raid sizes can be very hard on a guild. When you can only bring a limited number of people to raids, people are going to eventually have to sit out, no one likes to sit out (Denial of service?). Guild politics and leaders having to make tough decisions based on who is more valuable to the raid (quality of player) vs long term guildies/friends (merit) who may not have the same "dps output" as the others. It's a pretty shitty system.

Let people throw massive armies at content and limit loot. They will learn to limit their numbers to what is appropriate for their guild.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
How did top guilds put together raids that were so successful with so few players before EQ DPS meters? You make it sound like dps meter analysis was mandatory to get together a successful raid guild, when we all know that is not the case.
When there is no enrage timer and no raid cap size, you can do whatever the fuck you want: my guild killed Bertoxx during PoP (when it was re4levant) with 39 people, 12 healers, 7 of them were two-boxed. If you could keep up the tank and the rampage tank, everything else was optional, given enough time we could have killed him with just the tanks damage (a few hours would have sufficed).

UI mods in WoW were born due to necessity: mobs were designed in a retarded way (see MC raid bosses spam cursing the raid, then Decursive was born).
Some were cut, some remained, most mods I use are either for aesthetics, QoL mods (total gold, map location, durability indicator, DoT tracking, etc.) or for saving profiles I use on every character. Exceptions? Recount. Log parsers are tools, useful ones at that and I have fun using them. As a matter of fact I find boring playing without them nowadays, I like to know if I'm doing better or worse when things change.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I like what you all are saying was in the video, but tbh I havent watched them for two months because the first 5 or so were so non-committing and basically sum up to "we'll try to please you all, promise /hug". I'll pay more attention once they move from napkins and fanservice to "this is how we're doing it".

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
On that topic, limiting raid sizes can be very hard on a guild.
Raid size are good if you want difficult raids (because you can design tightly tuned stuff), but devastating for social stuff. A fixed raid size means your game is a gamer's game, not a social game. Funnily enough, I think MMO should be primarily social.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Limiting zergs via population caps is dumb unless you're setting up an achievement system, though at some level I expect a mechanic just to preserve the server's bandwidth (300 people tends to cause teleporting PCs/NPCs). They get less loot per person, but they get to see the content. Everyone wins. The better raiders will do more with less and progress faster as their average gear level rises faster. It works itself out as players desire a larger share of loot, so they improve themselves and gain access to smaller organizations.

And you can design anti-zerg into the encounter anyway. You can't bring extra people to vehicle fights where there are X vehicles. You can't magic more space into proximity explosion areas so extra hands will wipe the raid. Anytime someone has to get out of the group b/c of a debuff they need less people to run away from, and any raid that forces personal survival checks makes each extra person a liability. You can even design scaling into the encounter such that if you exceed a population envelope the boss/environment just one-shots everyone with an AE that should do less than 50% of player health.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anti-zerging measures should be built into the game as naturally and seamlessly as possible, as opposed to being addressed by hard mechanics such as strict time limits and raid number limits. This goes for just about every "solution" to typical mmo problems. Make itpracticallydifficult andrealisticallyunlikely, or even haveundesirableconsequences- but don't make anything mechanicallyimpossibleunless you absolutely must. Loose mechanics are a must for any quality mmo world.

Bellringer_sl

shitlord
New round table poll. Seems odd they poll this when they have already announced that there will be one starting area that will be the current rallying cry. When the rallying cry changes so will the starting area.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Maybe someone accidently used that napkin to sneeze in and they're back to square one regarding the starting experience. A less jaded interpretation would be that they really ARE listening and are willing to take back earlier decisions. I'm not sure I buy that though.

Bruman

Golden Squire
They've mentioned before that the roundtables are discussion, and that's it. Sometimes they use it decide what to do, sometimes they use it to talk about a decision they've already made.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
They've mentioned it before yea, but the round tables polls/videos gave the impression that they have skewed questions to lead the vote their way and then a video full of vapor maybes.

Not to be missunderstood, but given that early impression this latest roundtable poll is a positive thing.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I've never seen the problem with zergs. If the casuals want to be part of the raid, they are guild-members right? If they want to eat a fireball, tail-whip, etc then they weren't a necessity from the start if designed well. I think the after fight victories where a heap of dead are waiting to be rezzed is cool. We all know it's amazingly immersive to tell 'heroes' of the land that only the 20 greatest are allowed in the dragon's chamber because of that Forcefield of Lame. Those bosses are also extremely potent as ten people stomp their ass without a loss.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
New round table poll. Seems odd they poll this when they have already announced that there will be one starting area that will be the current rallying cry. When the rallying cry changes so will the starting area.
What's odd is that I only recall the "spawning at the rallying cry" thing being reported by one individual out of SOE Live (or was it PAX where that came out? One of those two), although it did have a fair amount of traction after that, so I don't know how accurate that is.

I do vaguely recall them talking about the idea of the building of Qeynos being the first rallying call, so maybe that's where it came from.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Why does it seem like every EQ dev is 35-45yrs old?
well, I'm sure there are younger people on the team, but they are not in the lead positions, and those are the only ones we are seeing (Dave, Terry, Jeff, Emily, Darrin etc) in their marketing materials.