EQ Never

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Storybricks is one of the reasons I'm excited about this game. The lack of levels and other forward thinking ideas are the rest of them. To see a developer try or talk about changing the equation is really a breath of fresh air. While Wildstar is trying to make the next WoW, RotP is trying to make a better vanguard, and TESO is just trying to make some quick cash...SOE is attempting to change many foundations that were supposedly a given for the industry. Generic questing and leveling. Unchanging environment. Premade world with an unchanging canon of lore. This isn't the only game I'm excited about(Pantheon and EQNL have me excited as well) but I'd love to see EQ back in the limelight and pushing the industry in new directions.

Mahulk_sl

shitlord
WoW made me start to hate raiding in games. It was just never fun to me. Specially when the whole token collection hit, running dungeons at warp speed! I will admit that the EQ 4 hour corpse collections wasnt very fun either but there seems to be some sense of wanting to help other members in the guilds I ran with. As a collective with a ton of players, I felt more connected to more members than just looking at them as a ladder to my next token collection item!

I am not saying that EQ was all that and a bag of Happiness but it was more preferred than the DDR of WoW raiding!
To me, EQ-like games are fun because you basically log in without knowing exactly what you will do. It's an alternate world you live in. You go where your friends are or where you feel like going. WoW-like games always ended up like chores you log in to cap your points/tokens or to raid the dungeon planned at set time. One is a hobby, the other feels more like work.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
To me, EQ-like games are fun because you basically log in without knowing exactly what you will do. It's an alternate world you live in. You go where your friends are or where you feel like going. WoW-like games always ended up like chores you log in to cap your points/tokens or to raid the dungeon planned at set time. One is a hobby, the other feels more like work.
Good post. I agree. I loved WoW in the beginning when it was closer to EQ. I still have a friend who plays just because of all theworkhe's put into it. I find it sad. It's only a game and there will always be more things to add to that game. Perfect game for hoarders though.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Storybricks is one of the reasons I'm excited about this game. The lack of levels and other forward thinking ideas are the rest of them. To see a developer try or talk about changing the equation is really a breath of fresh air. While Wildstar is trying to make the next WoW, RotP is trying to make a better vanguard, and TESO is just trying to make some quick cash...SOE is attempting to change many foundations that were supposedly a given for the industry.
Yea their goals are good, very much looking forward to Storybricks. I still find it unfortunate that they didnt go with a fresh IP for a new direction for MMOs but what can you do.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
So true, and it works on enough people that it seems to pay the bills. Friend at work is the same way with FF14 still. Doesn't touch it all week but logs in to do his one raid 'because'. He admits it's not fun but needs his stuff!

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Yea their goals are good, very much looking forward to Storybricks. I still find it unfortunate that they didnt go with a fresh IP for a new direction for MMOs but what can you do.
I'm disappointed a bit too but it's their primary franchise. I guess there's only so much they are willing to experiment on. The draw of EQ to add a few more subs. Or they could just be very proud of the direction and think EQ is the only name that will do it justice? I honestly doubt that but it sounds good right?

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm disappointed a bit too but it's their primary franchise. I guess there's only so much they are willing to experiment on. The draw of EQ to add a few more subs. Or they could just be very proud of the direction and think EQ is the only name that will do it justice? I honestly doubt that but it sounds good right?
Honestly.. I think shit like this is decided by suits for the most part. I get that they want to use the EQ name to port into a new generation of MMOs but I'm not buying that it's the sole reason to use the name. It's playing on our nostalgia cords and they hope to get extra $$ from it. Btw.. Ponytail has really won me over throughout this project. I give him a pass on some of the financial type decisions(Alpha) that have been made and will be made with this game. I think that's way over his head and think he genuinely just wants to make a good game.

Felmega_sl

shitlord
He won me over too. Anybody who thinks Ponytail is not sincererly trying to make a great game for us, gamers is just a hater at this point. Yes, profit is a financial motive, but clearly the love and excitement for great games, namely MMO's is there.
Ponytail is welcome to join my raids anytime!

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, Georgeson has a bit of a d-bag look to him, but it's become increasingly clear that it's just that: a look, and he's actually a decent guy. And certainly, he's the one whose responses to roundtable questions most frequently mirrors my own (and most people's here, frankly), which gives me additional hope for EQN.

Really, Butler's the only one of the leads who tends to worry me on a semi-regular basis when he tosses in his two cents on a subject.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I like Ponytail too. He really does love his job and therefore these projects. I'm glad he will be working on EQN for the next few years and can't wait to see what he finally pulls off. This is by far the most ambitious game coming out and it's about time someone had the resources and fortitude to move forward.

Tol_sl

shitlord
it's funny, during the first reveal all I could think of was, "holy shit- shady used car salesman." But he's definitely grown on me too. I think his enthusiasm is pretty real.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
SOE has everything to prove. EQN sounds like a very interesting game that I would be very interested in playing. I however don't believe anything they say until I see it in action myself.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I told you half a year ago that Georgeson is the one to look towards if you want this to live up to its full potential! Butler on other hand seems like the folks that raped Ut's dog.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Itzena_sl

shitlord
SOE has everything to prove. EQN sounds like a very interesting game that I would be very interested in playing. I however don't believe anything they say until I see it in action myself.
As I said before, way back when the announcement was first made and the grognards shit the bed, SOE gets a bit of credit from me for going "Hmm. Copying WoW doesn't seem to be working. Foranyone. Let's try something different". Not much, mind you, but a little bit - just enough to go from "EQ3 laaaaaaaaawwwl" to "Okay. Show me what you've got".