EQ Never

Fedor

<Banned>
Probably mad they don't want him anywhere near it. I mean they hired him back at SoE and they still didn't want him near it and basically sent him to his basement office away from anything worth a shit still.I can't even remember hearing about anything he did when they put him back on original EQ.He's a non-factor at this point and even SoE wants nothing to do with him.
Smedley made him head bee guy.

Carl_sl

shitlord
Actually, it's something they are wondering about privately. The game will be hard, they are worried about the reception of it's difficulty by the player.
what I am saying is, we are us. There is currently no such thing as a hard mmo for anyone on this forum. When smedley says get ready it's going to be hard, he isn't talking to us. He is talking about the people who enjoyed WOTLK more than Burning Crusade.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
what I am saying is, we are us. There is currently no such thing as a hard mmo for anyone on this forum. When smedley says get ready it's going to be hard, he isn't talking to us. He is talking about the people who enjoyed WOTLK more than Burning Crusade.
Yep, because when a long time employee of SOE is talking about EQ, he's really just talking about Blizzard products. Because he really doesn't have a clue about SOE products at all.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think this is one of those cases where you can take what Smed says at face value. He hasn't really defined hard but I think we will be adjusting as gamers with EQN. Those who don't want to adjust tactics will be on the boards complaining. I agree, that a lot of the people here will see it as good thing and positive change..But I don't think we will be steamrolling all of the content. It really just depends how far they take it. Mobs going after the guy who heals first is one thing, it needs to be more than that. I think a lot of the new challenges will come in form of the CC/Voxel destruction in the game. I'm sure guys like Mughal are itching to talk about difficulty in context to EQN when they get the ok from above. It's going to be interesting to see.

I know I've said it for a while now, and others have said it as well. But I really think they have something interesting here. I just hope they nail the adventuring/economy aspects of the game without diluting with cashshop shit. That would be a shame because we see the potential in the crafting. This game could really provide for a rich experience overall, and I haven't even mentioned storybricks.

Hinadurus_sl

shitlord
They always are. I went to Blizzcon in 2008~ and even though I consider myself pretty nerdy, I've never felt so out of place in my entire life.
As much as I love going to PAX and checking all the new stuff out, a LOT of the people there make me cringe. There's a lot of normal people.. but man some of the things I've seen.. heard.. smelled. Bleh.

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
I haven't even mentioned storybricks.
You know, the demo I saw wasn't allthatimpressive. Granted, it was a limited alpha demo, but the conversation/interaction bit wasn't all that deep. The player had a set amount of interaction choices, and by clicking a button the NPC would play out whatever block script they had preset. If the player was rude to a guard by /emote rude, the guard got angry and remembered that player was rude to him. Sort of like individual faction built under the "guard" subfaction built under the "village of whatever" faction. Kinda neat.

What I'm more interested in is the way NPCs are supposed to seek out what they "like". The example given by Georgeson was "Orcs like gold, so they'll be attacking travelers on roads. Orcs don't like guards, so if guards show up the Orcs will move on". I'd like to see that process demo'd. Mob migration through the world is going to be a huge part the game, given that each server will have different distributions of players doing different things, NPCs on one server might be found in a completely different region than another server. They might even be higher tier, only found deep in the Earth because of player actions.

Being able to wipe out an NPC from a region could have a big effect on mob populations. You and your guild kill every last Crushbone Orc in the citadel, they stop spawning there. The place becomes empty until something else moves in. Maybe more orcs. Maybe goblins. Maybe a necromancer moves in and reanimates the the dead Crushbone Orcs to serve him/her.

Storybricks will only be as impressive as it is deep. If Georgeson and Co. can put in a ton of time to make different NPCs actually behave differently, while also having all the mundane interactions we're familiar with, it'll be pure win. Otherwise, it'll probably be just a bit neater than regular ol' scripting.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Is anyone planning on going to SOE live this year? I'm thinking about it... But haven't decided yet. Wouldn't mind hitting up the Vegas restaurant scene. Also, I've never shot an automatic rifle, and I hear you can do that there :p

Did anyone attend last year? Is it as painfully dorky as it looks?
I plan on going, we have a thread up in the Travel forums.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I have this image in my head of getting a few like-minded dudes together in Vegas, getting all wasted at Planet Hollywood, and trying to party with the SOE devs. Maybe get some bad local blow and pay some strippers to dance while we LAN.
This is what envisioned, we get enough RR people going it could still be that.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
You know, the demo I saw wasn't allthatimpressive. Granted, it was a limited alpha demo, but the conversation/interaction bit wasn't all that deep. The player had a set amount of interaction choices, and by clicking a button the NPC would play out whatever block script they had preset. If the player was rude to a guard by /emote rude, the guard got angry and remembered that player was rude to him. Sort of like individual faction built under the "guard" subfaction built under the "village of whatever" faction. Kinda neat.

What I'm more interested in is the way NPCs are supposed to seek out what they "like". The example given by Georgeson was "Orcs like gold, so they'll be attacking travelers on roads. Orcs don't like guards, so if guards show up the Orcs will move on". I'd like to see that process demo'd. Mob migration through the world is going to be a huge part the game, given that each server will have different distributions of players doing different things, NPCs on one server might be found in a completely different region than another server. They might even be higher tier, only found deep in the Earth because of player actions.

Being able to wipe out an NPC from a region could have a big effect on mob populations. You and your guild kill every last Crushbone Orc in the citadel, they stop spawning there. The place becomes empty until something else moves in. Maybe more orcs. Maybe goblins. Maybe a necromancer moves in and reanimates the the dead Crushbone Orcs to serve him/her.

Storybricks will only be as impressive as it is deep. If Georgeson and Co. can put in a ton of time to make different NPCs actually behave differently, while also having all the mundane interactions we're familiar with, it'll be pure win. Otherwise, it'll probably be just a bit neater than regular ol' scripting.
What would be amazing is if they can hire people whose job is it to (micro)manage the major dynamic events happening on individual servers. It may be pretty awesome if story bricks has the right tools and flexibility. A throwback back to when Eq gms would run individual events on servers but with today's tech (presumably allowing them to do many more things)

Terial

Trakanon Raider
What would be amazing is if they can hire people whose job is it to (micro)manage the major dynamic events happening on individual servers. It may be pretty awesome if story bricks has the right tools and flexibility. A throwback back to when Eq gms would run individual events on servers but with today's tech (presumably allowing them to do many more things)
When i was a guide i LOVED being in these events as a mob in the game, it was so much fun watching as the zone would fill up with players trying to hunt us guides as we had cool abilities... it made it more dynamic and the players were fun to battle in a huge battle royal..
As a playable mob i would cycle through the targets and find those with the lowest health and kill them, then while all the tanks were on me, i'd look for the casters thinking they were all safe in the background and run to them and kill them all... it was so much fun!
It toally mixes up the normalcy of tanks holding aggro when i controlled who i attacked not some pre determined set of rules lol.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
When i was a guide i LOVED being in these events as a mob in the game, it was so much fun watching as the zone would fill up with players trying to hunt us guides as we had cool abilities... it made it more dynamic and the players were fun to battle in a huge battle royal..
As a playable mob i would cycle through the targets and find those with the lowest health and kill them, then while all the tanks were on me, i'd look for the casters thinking they were all safe in the background and run to them and kill them all... it was so much fun!
It toally mixes up the normalcy of tanks holding aggro when i controlled who i attacked not some pre determined set of rules lol.
I believe you just summarized the concern everyone had when they announced no formal trinity...

Here's hoping they at least have MOBA-esque role defining abilities that make some characters tanks, healers, support, and carries (dps).

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I believe you just summarized the concern everyone had when they announced no formal trinity...

Here's hoping they at least have MOBA-esque role defining abilities that make some characters tanks, healers, support, and carries (dps).
Hahahaha! I was thinking "yea, thats how Guild Wars 2 works right now" hahaha!

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Hahahaha! I was thinking "yea, thats how Guild Wars 2 works right now" hahaha!
Except it doesnt? A guy describing focus firing specific trinity classes has nothing to do with GW2 since that game doesnt actually have the trinity. Funny pointless comment though, jenniferlawrencethumbsup.gif

(GW2 would be much better with more class roles, so dont take this as pro-GW2.)

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Except it doesnt? A guy describing focus firing specific trinity classes has nothing to do with GW2 since that game doesnt actually have the trinity. Funny pointless comment though, jenniferlawrencethumbsup.gif

(GW2 would be much better with more class roles, so dont take this as pro-GW2.)
What do you mean "Except it doesnt?" If Im playing my engineer, shit charges me, I kite the NPC and hope it trades off to someone else if Im taking too much damage. Sounds exactly like the story we all just read. I didnt realize that my comment about my own experiences in GW2 relating to a story about being a Guide would rustle your jimmies so much that you would find it necessary to be a douche bag based on your asinine assumption of what I personally, experienced while playing GW2.

rrr_img_62804.jpg

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Is anyone planning on going to SOE live this year? I'm thinking about it... But haven't decided yet. Wouldn't mind hitting up the Vegas restaurant scene. Also, I've never shot an automatic rifle, and I hear you can do that there :p

Did anyone attend last year? Is it as painfully dorky as it looks?
I think this is the best, most succinct answer to your questions.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Yeah... I can't even look at anything hardly past PoP. There may have been a couple of bright spots but EQ is not EQ. Honestly, the last time I logged on and walked through the "new" Freeport, I immediately logged off. They should have never touched the original content and I think think they should have left the Mac Server alone.

I still think EQ made their biggest mistake not adding to the original content instead of expanding so far out all the time. Each expansion maybe had 5 zones that was worth having. I can probably let Kunark and Velious slide but even then, I would have liked the world they introduced just reveal new findings. Could have added Velks to Halas, Sebilis to Feerrott, etc. Knowing that probably 100's of zones are completely abandoned is sad. EQ should have never had instancing also.... of any kind.

Anyone, EQ will always be my first MMO love. Played since the last phase of Beta but I agree, how people still look at the game is beyond me.