EQ Never

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I can rephrase and change it to say nothing else worth playing - bc WS, TESO, and TSW surely are not, atleast not to me. Black Desert seems interesting enough but thats likely as far out as EQN and id likely play EQN over it just bc m curious to see how they do or do not fuck up.

Think ive beta or alpha tested 95% of the mmo's released since UO was around and now im just jaded and hating on anything not amazing.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Thing is if EQN fails there is literally nothing else but WoW and its offspring of clones that people say arent clones. Fortunately is EQN fails i will just continue to pretend that consoles are the master race and be content.
Isnt that Bungie game that's coming soon a big deal for consoles and is pretty much the WoW formula mixed with a shooter? You can run but you cannot hide!

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I like to think of it as a borderlands game with mmo aspects - in either way im totally sold on it.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Isnt that Bungie game that's coming soon a big deal for consoles and is pretty much the WoW formula mixed with a shooter? You can run but you cannot hide!
Destiny? No way that can be called an mmo, at least not in the sense most of us here would define one. It is a fun game, but it is no more mmo like than co-op Borderlands. Community makes and breaks mmo games, Destiny has hardly any community interaction. It is a FPS with some borderlandsish elements with some "group" content, and raids that require you to already have the people on your friends list (stupid idea).

I will buy it day one, but it never scratch any sort of mmo itch. More likely to take people away from CoD or Battlefield than WoW / EQ.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Yeah the raiding is such a retarded step on wrong direction on Destiny - not sure what they were thinking with that.

Mughal

Bronze Knight of the Realm
EQnext is the last rodeo for this old cowboy, too. If it doesn't grab me I'm done until the first polished VRMMORPG.

edit* thought about it. If anyone makes an MMORPG out of A Song of Ice and Fire I'd almost definitely check it out. Hellboy, too... And Dune... Or Spawn...

...fuck. Those last 3 aren't gonna happen, but I could see ASOIAF MMORPG within the next 4 years.
Great lore will follow great mechanics. One you have the gameplay structure sorted you can roll out anything. The problem is that the industry has been double whammed by EQ and then WoW so they have stopped innovating and instead (successfully) they are throwing money at Kim Kardashian on iOS.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
Thing is if EQN fails there is literally nothing else but WoW and its offspring of clones that people say arent clones. Fortunately is EQN fails i will just continue to pretend that consoles are the master race and be content.
Almost no chance EQN succeeds. Instead of paving its own unique path, Sony has doubled down on being everything to everyone. No levels, no limits, no defined classes, no restrictions, any class can be any other class....it will have a wildly successful start, then bomb hard when everyone is bored to tears after 6 months.

Sony is designing a game where everyone is a winner, and life just isn't like that. There are winners, and there are losers. The winners play because they strive to be the best, and they will work hard to make sure that happens. The losers play because they want to be winners. The very premise of the game is total fail. I wish it wasn't because its the only game in town now to look forward to, so I pray I'm wrong.

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Almost no chance EQN succeeds. Instead of paving its own unique path, Sony has doubled down on being everything to everyone. No levels, no limits, no defined classes, no restrictions, any class can be any other class....it will have a wildly successful start, then bomb hard when everyone is bored to tears after 6 months.

Sony is designing a game where everyone is a winner, and life just isn't like that. There are winners, and there are losers. The winners play because they strive to be the best, and they will work hard to make sure that happens. The losers play because they want to be winners. The very premise of the game is total fail. I wish it wasn't because its the only game in town now to look forward to, so I pray I'm wrong.
Runescape's still putting bread on more than a few devs' dinner tables ~13 years later. I'm not saying I think that SoE devs can take that premise that you're describing (i.e. all things to all players) and produce the same result as Jagex. I'm not even saying that I'm cautiously optimistic either. But the premise is actually pretty solid, what's still up in the air is if the implementation is worth a shit or not.

Fingz_sl

shitlord
At least Sony is trying something different and the next big thing will be different. They should'nt've called it Everquest and came up with a new name like eQuest. It's not going to bare much resemblance to EQ.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Merlin is being retarded again.

As far as calling it Eq, what's the big deal. It's only the Lore that's carrying over. Can you only call a game Eq if it's a neckbeard paradise?

Fingz_sl

shitlord

As far as calling it Eq, what's the big deal. It's only the Lore that's carrying over. Can you only call a game Eq if it's a neckbeard paradise?
If it's completely different from EQ, it doesn't make much sense to call it EQ. Save the IP for an EQ like game.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit

The lore is not carrying over, only some names are re-used to trigger nostalgia. The actual events and history (i.e. everything that makes up the lore) are rewritten. That pet peeve of mine aside this is the most promising game on the horizon. I share one concern with Merlin though, if they make it too easy and fast to get everything people will have finished their character and their alt within 2 months. Similar to GW2 and how Anet was incredibly naive about how fast people would get full exotics or even legendaries and "be done".

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Last I was told.. The Devs were concerned EQN might be too hard. I'm not trolling with that comment. Internally they feel the challenge is there but are worried how players will receive the level of difficulty and if higher ups will cave to the complaints and dumb it down. That was a while ago tho, who knows what has changed.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
SOE infamously equates difficulty with timesinks and RNG fails, so I'll wait and see what the release is so we can translate how they define their work.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
GW2 difficulty was much better 4 months before release, too. Those dumb-it-down calls are probably last minute decisions. You just need to hope the devs can point to the last couple of 6-week wonder games to sway their bosses towards sticking with the difficulty.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
I can rephrase and change it to say nothing else worth playing - bc WS, TESO, and TSW surely are not, atleast not to me. Black Desert seems interesting enough but thats likely as far out as EQN and id likely play EQN over it just bc m curious to see how they do or do not fuck up.

Think ive beta or alpha tested 95% of the mmo's released since UO was around and now im just jaded and hating on anything not amazing.
Black Desert actually has a planned closed beta for this winter coming up in NA EU.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Black Desert actually has a planned closed beta for this winter coming up in NA EU.
Yeah but i wouldnt be surprised if SoE has their paid founders alpha/beta around the same time(Dec/Jan) with a more open beta by summer 2015 for its end 2015 release. Im sure people are going to say it wont happen but 2015 has been that pegged release window for a while now. I dont think BD will be able to really content with EQN is they have anything near the same windows.