EQ Never

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
It's linear, but in a 40-dimension space. You have 40 different classes that you can collect and improve to tier 5, each independently. Quite unlike WoW where there's exactly one direction for the one class you selected, and each talent for each spec is handed simultaneously.
I'm talking about the flow of the game. If each tier has a linear progression path instead of an organic progression path then you're just going to have a rehashed TSW. You need to create Tiers that have objectives but no clear liner progression to get to the next tier. There are a bunch of different ways to do it too.

In any case, 40 different classes is just like 40 different alts if that is the case.Semantics.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
My guess is it will have some similarities to ESO as if you wanted to level a weapon or class skill you had to have it on your hotbar while questing.

slot a class ability while doing shit will rank your classes in eqn. Dictated partially by weapon type restrictions between classes.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
GW2 doesn't count because there is shit to do in that game other than level and watch some really bad story telling. If I had to play a leveling game, it would be GW2 for sure because they made an awesome world. But farming low level zones was as pointless as attempting to "gear up" at level 80.
If you were into the stupid grind of ascended gear, you needed stuff dropping from world bosses (those on a timer), but the "going back to lowbie zones" was just a matter of badly done scaling, you had X hp instead of Y and did 100 dmg instead of 10k.

EQNext is making me think that all those things like levels, tiers and so on, are things I don't give a flying fuck about, nor I care much about having multiple "classes" or skill sets. What makes or breakes an MMO for me is the combat and the setting. I can get behind Azeroth, as I could behind Norrath, while for example the Tera world was fairly uninspiring.
What I understood for certain is that: I prefer to pay 15 a month and nothing else for all my needs, the f2p option is nice, but I loathe cash shops that sells stuff you actually need to play without gouging your eyes out, such as bag slots and bank slots, but I'm open to discussion about character slots.
I also love playing healers, so a game without the trinity is "automagically" less appealing to me, there is something in filling up those bars at the last moment that gives me satisfaction and a relatively unpredictable gameplay (due to the occasional bad players). I don't mind a Wildstar / GW2 / Neverwinter combat, with dynamic dodge, aka the gtfo from voidzones button, but I want healers to be important, I can't help it. If I can mix healing and offense in some ways, ala disco priest, Cenarius Druid or Chloromancer from Rift, I'm even more happy.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
The softer tiers are the better eqn will do imho. Replacing levels with hard tiers would be pointless. I want a system where my t1 guy can still do stuff in t3 if my skill is high and my guild takes me along. The level systems biggest fault for me is that since its so rigid it restricts who you can play with so the companies have made the curves short and made these games focused around end game. With soft tiers tho you can have progression that lasts for years like EVE and it still works cause my guy who is noob can actually play with vets and not just in the hamfisted gw2 way with downscaling.

Bruman

Golden Squire
Yeah, I'm hoping for "soft tiers" as well, although with their current thoughts being "to get to T2 you need to do these quests/accomplishments/collections" it's not sounding like it'll be the case. Maybe they'll change their minds.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
You need to create Tiers that have objectives but no clear liner progression to get to the next tier.
That sounds contradictory. If you have an objective, you can measure your objective progression, and call that a linear progression.

I got the impression that the tier progression was not fungible: it was distinct, specific steps that you needed. You need of course to complete tier 2 before you can complete tier 3, but you could potentially get some of your tier 3 elements before finishing tier 2. And of course...
In any case, 40 different classes is just like 40 different alts if that is the case.Semantics.
... you can progress tier 3 rogue while playing tier 4 warrior, or, if you get lucky, get some tier 2 necro achievement by being there the right time. You don't have 40 alts, you have one character that can progress simultaneously any of those 40.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
It's been almost a month since SOE Live when they said that "expect more" soon.

They need to keep with the updates because its critical now they show growth.

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
'' We're waiting for the community to deliver us an update on where our game is heading since we gave em all the tools they need to build their game, wait our game. Shit, Smed, whos game is it ?''
rrr_img_75889.png

Meatus_sl

shitlord
Yep that's not good. I'd rather have them postpone a full year than bring out a piece of crap. People want quality products. Hope they deliver

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
No worries, tier 4 is behind a quest line that needs a key to get the next key, but you have to have the first key to get into the zone that has the first key. Once that is done, a patch will arrive that adds a .00000001% drop rate for a Planes Rift. Then, and only then, will you be able to download Tier 4. Wait, theres another tier?

Mughal

Bronze Knight of the Realm
There has been a Titan announcement rumoured at every BlizzCon for the last 5 years excluding 2013.

That being said, nothing would make me happier than a Blizzard made MMORPG with Storybricks (or something similar) & destructable terrain.
My guess is that something like this is happening. Unsure if it's a full blown MMO or just a multiplayer instance. This is not Titan and the team responsible for it has been set up after its demise. No idea if this is the one that will be revealed in 2014, seems way early by Blizzard standards.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My guess is that something like this is happening. Unsure if it's a full blown MMO or just a multiplayer instance. This is not Titan and the team responsible for it has been set up after its demise. No idea if this is the one that will be revealed in 2014, seems way early by Blizzard standards.
Even with their recent sub losses WoW still rules the mmo world. I think they realize they have lighting in a bottle and it would be next to impossible to do it again. Plus any MMO they put out would hurt WoW's sub numbers more than anyone elses. It makes more business sense to keep improving WoW, update the graphics, release new expansions, etc.

If Titan is released anytime soon I think it will not be a traditional MMO like WoW. Perhaps something more like Destiny, or PS2. Like you though, I'm just guessing.

Bruman

Golden Squire
I think Minecraft is very representative of the WoW killer (okay, that'll never happen, but maybe the just-as-good-as-WoW-popularity-wise?) MMO. It's just not broken up into official servers/worlds, instead being community ran on that end. Although I think a recent update had paid servers or something? I dunno, I've been out of the loop for a while.

But either way, the next Big Thing in the MMO space that'll have staying power will have obvious incorporation of some things Minecraft does/did, and it's obvious they're trying to have some of that with EQ:Next.

Mughal

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Even with their recent sub losses WoW still rules the mmo world. I think they realize they have lighting in a bottle and it would be next to impossible to do it again. Plus any MMO they put out would hurt WoW's sub numbers more than anyone elses. It makes more business sense to keep improving WoW, update the graphics, release new expansions, etc.

If Titan is released anytime soon I think it will not be a traditional MMO like WoW. Perhaps something more like Destiny, or PS2. Like you though, I'm just guessing.
Titan is dead and buried. Kaputt. Blizzard has a very articulate product portfolio where each game has a distinct identity and tends to be the defining game in its genre:

MMORPGs - World of Warcraft
RTS - Starcraft 2
MOBA - HotS
Card games - Hearthstone
Titan - Destiny-esque game, originally set in a new universe and later retconned to Starcraft
Diablo - rogue-like RPG

The big missing things are a Minecraft clone and a Skylander one. Both using Blizzard IP. The miniatures they gave away at Blizzcon were probably part of the work/prototype for using Blizzard IP in a Skylanders game but possibly it's still early to assess whether they are in production or just experimenting with it.

As per a Minecraft clone, every single large developer at this point has a Minecraft clone in production one way or another. It would be presumptuous to think that Blizzard is sitting with a thumb up their ass and not actively exploring this genre and rapidly prototyping games that are heavy into user generated content and crafting. Moreover Rob Pardo, who left last year was a strenuous opponent of UGC so the timing seems right.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
No worries, tier 4 is behind a quest line that needs a key to get the next key, but you have to have the first key to get into the zone that has the first key. Once that is done, a patch will arrive that adds a .00000001% drop rate for a Planes Rift. Then, and only then, will you be able to download Tier 4. Wait, theres another tier?
I fully expect tier 5 unlock to be "participate in a Rallying Cry". Want 12 classes at tier 5? Need to wait until you do 12 rallying cries. Or tears.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Titan is dead, but that's putting too much focus on a project name. I'm sure they scrapped damn near everything and any comments about it not being based on an established IP or any indication of what it might have been, can all be thrown out the window. But the team is still working on whatever Titan shit out whenever it was canned.

If you're equating Minecraft to UGC, then yeah, I'm sure that'll be the new buzz in MMO world and Blizzard will tap into it with their own spin. Or maybe not. It'll be in MMO form though, or at least I'll be shocked if it's not. Every indication, from their current hiring listings to Linkedin profiles, has next gen MMO written all over. WoW is a cash cow but it was created long enough ago that the derogatory "EZ Mode WoW kids" are mocking modern MMOs for being EZ mode kid shit.

They'll want something fresh on the market and while you can't your lost subscribers back with a yet another WoW expansion, the minute Blizzard puts out a fresh MMO everybody is going to join the party.

It's kind of weird of you to put Destiny in your list. Granted it falls under Activision Blizzard but it's not in the immediate Blizzard family and damn sure won't fall into their portfolio of Blizzcon games.

P.S. Microsoft is about to have a lock on the Minecraft IP. Notch is about to make fucking bank (rather, even more bank).

rolx_sl

shitlord
Being able to swap abilities then say you can be 40 classes is the biggest front ever. There will be a few builds for each class. Thats that. Thats how it always works out. Offensive build, offensive defensive, defensive.