EQ Never

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
There will be a few builds for each class.
Oh, I've not doubt theorycrafters are going to figure out skill combos for your class.

Which, by the way, can't be obtained by levelling or grinding skill points; you actually have to get the appropriate class (variable difficulty), then raise it to tier 5. And then figure out why your Lightning Strike that was said to be so awesome looks weak until you find out that this build was made for a dream list of gear with "+ Lightning" which you don't have and relies on RNG to obtain at the max quality where the theorycrafted build is, in fact, the best.

In other words, "builds" for a class should look more like "gear lists" rather than "allocate your points this way".

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Being able to swap abilities then say you can be 40 classes is the biggest front ever. There will be a few builds for each class. Thats that. Thats how it always works out. Offensive build, offensive defensive, defensive.
Well, from what they showed at SOE Live, I have to assume that all skills are attached to classes (as in, you won't be able to collect Regenerate without collecting the Druid class, but when you collect the Druid class, you get Regenerate - and then can use it in any build that allows for it). I understand how on the surface level that might seem disingenuous, but I don't think they're trying to deceive anyone.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The dumbass kinda has a point. You don't need to try to appeal to tons of new customers if you've got tons clambering for more of the same.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I don't mean original Everquest, but more of the same as in a high budget, polished DIKU clone in the same vein as EQ and then WoW, rather than reinventing the wheel.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I don't mean original Everquest, but more of the same as in a high budget, polished DIKU clone in the same vein as EQ and then WoW, rather than reinventing the wheel.
How is it possible that every single belief and opinion you've ever espoused is wrong?

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
They are still missing the point like many other games and keep putting in idiot blocks and not adding other good features. Like remove "no drop" "BOE" etc tags from the game completely, still an idiot idea when it was conceived. Allow players to buy what others sold to the NPC. Remove lvl requirements from items and lvl adjusted to players lvl items, this ranks up there with the no-drop BOE crap! Allow the high ended items or any item at all in the game to be craft-able also and only if you attempt to break it to learn it (with failure possible) and may need to do a quest of faction grind to learn the recipe in addition to.
Many here would hate most if not all of these old ideas, but since most of these blocks have been slowly put into EQ and other games follow as if they are on the bandwagon train, their game sucks on some lvl before even getting out the door.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Allow players to buy what others sold to the NPC. Remove lvl requirements from items and lvl adjusted to players lvl items, this ranks up there with the no-drop BOE crap! Allow the high ended items or any item at all in the game to be craft-able also and only if you attempt to break it to learn it (with failure possible) and may need to do a quest of faction grind to learn the recipe in addition to.
Many here would hate most if not all of these old ideas, but since most of these blocks have been slowly put into EQ and other games follow as if they are on the bandwagon train, their game sucks on some lvl before even getting out the door.
I would love if the top end gear was crafted. As mentioned by a few here, have RCs drop parts to recipes and very little loot outside of maybe cash. Let's say that each RC gives you something that can be used for armor for a smith. 8 RCs will get you a full suit, 3 will get you a weapon, etc. This would ensure participation at least. maybe that full suit makes you Tier 5? Who knows but I'd love to see some changes to the formula.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Crafted gear is boring compared to a kick ass gear drop.
Regular crafted aye. But the gear that required rare drops off of mobs and a decent crafter to finish were cool. As long as it wasn't overdone. My favorite quests are still the original epics in EQ. I generally don't care for questing, but those were a lot of fun. And when you finally finished it, the intense sense of accomplishment truly was epic. At least in the early days of the game.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Crafting should be a stepping stone to get what you want and not a parallel gearing path in terms of what a raid boss drops. I personally dont want to spend a month slamming my dick in the door to kill Heroic Garrosh only for a crafting component to drop. Its just not epic, fun or encouraging. Nine out of ten times it seems that crafters just want to be the people that other people have to answer to in an MMO and be popular based on their repertoire of recipes. I personally dont want to answer to anybody else on top of the shit I have to put up with to get the drops in the first place.

The Epics (EQ) and Legendary (WoW) items that were brought up just arent in a comparable aspect to the conversation. They are one off items that are defining and deservedly so since those items will be immune to upgrades for at least 2 tiers. Im fine with crafters being involved in this process, but only to an extent. Such as the Rebreather for the Warrior Epic. The rebreather wasnt something major and could be made by a relatively low end crafter. (...and it wouldnt break the fucking bank, either.)

But all to often Devs force crafters down raiders throats by not only allowing only one or two professions on your character, but by needing 3 or more. Each time needing an item that is an obscenely large gold sink in some regard. Much less, since that Crafter has to be a special little snow flake that everyone comes to - that recipe is ultra rare as well. That shit is just nonsense and makes me hate crafters that much more.

Ideally, I would understand a gearing process that was similar to how early Molten Core was done. You had the option of spending a ton of time farming items that had fire resistance - or someone in your guild could quickly level crafting and make that fire resistance gear after having enough faction for everyone. Once the raider people were decked out in fire resist gear - then they could kill the raid bosses that dropped the gear that would be BiS or at least close to.

Or, if you want to use EverQuest, fine - Temple of Veeshan, Giant Faction. You got a piece of Ancient Relic Gear from random trash mobs in ToV and went and turned that piece in at Kael to an NPC with a couple gems and you got what you wanted. They could have easily just made the recipes purchasable with appropriate faction with low skill needed and then a Crafter could make the gear. But the reason I bring this up is because this gear was a stepping stone to better gear. It was great gear that got your character ready for the bigger fights that would net you the best in slot items. Though, I liked my Cobalt more...
frown.png

Both solid examples of how Crafters and Raiders could get along quite well without having a First Kill, server first, w/e tarnished by a Crafting Component drop. Some of you may get off on it, but Im pretty sure there is a much bigger group of people that just want the fucking item right then and there.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Some of you may get off on it, but Im pretty sure there is a much bigger group of people that just want the fucking item right then and there.
I'd say there's data that supports this because Blizzard is changing almost everything about their itemization for this expansion with the stated goal of making acquisition of gear immediately rewarding and not a hassle (removed reforging, removed hit and expertise, socketed items are rare, required enchants are negligible, and tier tokens are used in your inventory to claim your armor instead of visiting an NPC in town, to name a few changes).

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Crafting should be a stepping stone to get what you want and not a parallel gearing path in terms of what a raid boss drops. I personally dont want to spend a month slamming my dick in the door to kill Heroic Garrosh only for a crafting component to drop. Its just not epic, fun or encouraging. Nine out of ten times it seems that crafters just want to be the people that other people have to answer to in an MMO and be popular based on their repertoire of recipes. I personally dont want to answer to anybody else on top of the shit I have to put up with to get the drops in the first place.

etc..

Well, as I said, as long as it's not overdone. I loved the epic quests, they needed crafting help, but it wasn't too outrageous in the crafting portion. And it was minor in the overall arc of the quest.

On the dark side of that type of quest was the standard rotation that every expansion went through for endgame raiders. Where you prayed for a heavy arm drop because that was the last piece you and every other tank needed, but instead another fucking boot drops that noone needs. Usually the carfting portion was trivial at that point in the game so it was just another time sink. After expansion n+whatever, it got real old.

Everquest's problem (and almost every other mmo since then) wastoo manyquests that followed the same pattern over and over, with little variation. Plus questing in new mmos became mandatory because of better xp and gear rewards. That is what is boring, not the need for a crafting piece to finish a quest.

As for getting the item every time. It's a balancing act. For most items I think that is fine, but if you do that for every item then it doesn't work. Keeping some items special and rare in any game is good for business. Even WoW follows that model, if they didn't then there wouldn't be any need for endgame raiders.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
As for getting the item every time. It's a balancing act. For most items I think that is fine, but if you do that for every item then it doesn't work. Keeping some items special and rare in any game is good for business. Even WoW follows that model, if they didn't then there wouldn't be any need for endgame raiders.
By that, I meant that I would rather have a component drop for a Legendary only if I can decide who it goes to. I dont want to have a Legendary component drop thats specifically for Rogues, and the only Rogue in our 10 man is a PuG because the other one is out for the weekend. Let me give it to someone that I know is going to be in the guild for the length of time that its relevant. Necrious on P99 for example. (Hes an AI and you know it)

Between that and a parallel path to gear you up for a Raid dungeon (fire Resist - MC. Cold Resist - Naxx) - I just dont want to be bothered with it because it seems forced or unnatural in any other situation.

I dont care if it makes the epic tier item "rarer" in WoW. If I have to decide between a 3% component drop thats associated with a gold sink and a Quest or a .5% Weapon Drop - Im going to choose the Weapon Drop every time. WoW's problem isnt anything listed - Its problem is that everything is homogenized. IE. You finally do everything for that Legendary Cloak and its only lvl 608, which is only one tier above the Heroic Warforged gear of 580. Even if it was a true legendary (not the cloak), a disparity of only 20 item levels doesnt make it very "Legendary." (I forgot they added the extra 8 ilvls to everything recently, blah blah I know)