EQ Never

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Is it just me or does EQN's version of the dwarf look strikingly similar to the Warhammer Online dwarf?

Dark elves look like Draenei

Ogres look like the Roegadyn/Galka or whatever from FFXIV

Copy pasted warhammer dwarves...
rrr_img_79671.jpg

Tell me I'm wrong.
WAR dwarves were awesome, they could do worse then copy that. For the ogre to WoW orc comparison, are we talking Thrall style love-orcs or Warsong clan?

How am I supposed to immerse myself in the world with fucking "Circle of Life" and "A Whole New World" going through my head? I guess I could replace my raid soundtracks, remove the trance and just buy Walt Disney "best of" cds.
Dont fight it, just embrace it. I suggest you create a female human as your character, modeled after your disney princess of choice.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
How am I supposed to immerse myself in the world with fucking "Circle of Life" and "A Whole New World" going through my head? I guess I could replace my raid soundtracks, remove the trance and just buy Walt Disney "best of" cds.
You're way too serious, man. Just have fun. I promise it won't hurt.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
WAR dwarves were awesome, they could do worse then copy that. For the ogre to WoW orc comparison, are we talking Thrall style love-orcs or Warsong clan?
They are a former Slave race, that is huge on warfare, hates magic, is big on honor, used to be conquerors but are now rebuilding their society.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Ability delay based on animations is considered "Clunky Combat" see hero engine debacles: TESO - SWTOR

Ability delay based on channels and global cooldowns and cooldown ignoring abilities is considered "Fluid Combat" see: WoW - Wildstar - Archeage - *any cast bar based mmo*

Animation canceling (and ability ejection) are everything involving combat feel in a game. Mark my words.

When you spend 3 seconds trying to complete a heroic movement based triple slash and being unable to change direction mid animation to dodge the fire you'll get my point.
Its varies on taste but I completely disagree with you, yet I once agreed. What changed my mind was TERA which I consider having the best combat engine/mechanics on the net. Once you fired off an ability you were locked much like any other fighting game. It really works well and adds more depth to PVP. If you're going to pull off a big move, you have to commit to it.

I mean, sure in your example you use a full 3 second animation string that completely locks your character. That's just bad design from a skill point of view, not a overall design method.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Weird. That should mean Rallos still invaded PoE and executed a Rathe Council member. I know that isn't the case but just strikes me as odd they wouldn't rename it.
They did rename it.

It used to be spelled 'Rathetear'. It's now Rathetyr. I doubt The Rather ever existed to cry those 'tears' in EQN.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
They did rename it.

It used to be spelled 'Rathetear'. It's now Rathetyr. I doubt The Rather ever existed to cry those 'tears' in EQN.
Correct Rathetyr is actually an area now in EQN that encompasses Rathe Mountains,Lake,Feerot and probably "Innothule Swamp" (what ever they will call it since no Inny)

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
They could do worse than base Ogre society on the Maori culture....

rrr_img_79746.jpg

which WoW copied for Orcs...

Doesnt mean they cant have an original take.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
The vain desperation of listing great ideas for a game.

I smell triple A cartoony do a million quests to max level and quit no matter what ideas ya'll come up with.

I'm glad I never got into game programming. I couldn't imagine having great ideas like the ones here swirling in my head and being required to implement tons of things that my casual gamer boss thought would be "neat".

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If the entire production of a game cannot survive "and now what?" from any category of gamer, it will fail.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Honestly, I think they are doing it wrong as well. If an appealing design for a race is more popular, fine. But the Ogre Race and Troll Race should honestly be modeled off of original EverQuest Classic models and the race have a "Pretty Option" not the other way around. I know people that didnt want to play the Ogre Race simply because they didnt want to be Ugly - but they still loved the fact that they existed and were laughably ugly. Something cracked me up about how massive and goofy they looked while all at the same time - if it was realistic, an Ogre would crush the fuck out of your little wood elf ass. Its like laughing behind a bullies back in High School about how utterly ape-like he was. Or having a faint similarity to a West Virginia Mountains country boy coming down to the coast thats inbred as fuck and massive. (think of the Clint Eastwood movie where Clints breaking those Stones and then that giant fucker comes in and breaks that boulder in one hit.)

I seriously hope that EQ:Next doesnt fail, and is a great game.. But Im really unhappy about some of the design decisions that they have came up with. The designers started off with "Ok guys! We're going to give the reigns to you to help us design this game!" But now they're giving us really strict boundaries about what they want done, and how they want it done when it comes to architecture and only changing what THEY like when they see something better. There really isnt even a change in character designs unless their is a huge population of people bitching (Ie. The Dark Elves).

I would rather they go back to their original plans of having players submit their own designs from Landmark and have those upvoted or downvoted based on what people think the architecture should look like. - And in that same vein, have their artists come up with several different designs for how each particular race will look with an up vote or down vote, followed by vote-able examples of what that races culture should be like. This was the original concept and I thought it was great. I would love to have added combat concepts to that list, but thats probably asking for too much.

Heres to hoping for the best, I guess.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I'm desperately hoping EQNext turns out decent. The MMO genre fucking needs it. Its the first western game from a major company to truly diverge from the WoW model. It NEEDS to succeed. If it doesn't, we're doomed to continue the mediocrity we've dealt with for the past god knows how many years. No, it doesn't need to dethrone WoW, but it needs to be a healthy, profitable game that shows the bean counters you can be different and still be successful. I can't stress this point enough, we NEED this going out on a limb to provide dividends. Otherwise, companies are going to be like "If SoE can't do it by leveraging their awesome genre creating IP then we can't do it with our unknown one."

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Honestly, I think they are doing it wrong as well. If an appealing design for a race is more popular, fine. But the Ogre Race and Troll Race should honestly be modeled off of original EverQuest Classic models and the race have a "Pretty Option" not the other way around. I know people that didnt want to play the Ogre Race simply because they didnt want to be Ugly - but they still loved the fact that they existed and were laughably ugly. Something cracked me up about how massive and goofy they looked while all at the same time - if it was realistic, an Ogre would crush the fuck out of your little wood elf ass. Its like laughing behind a bullies back in High School about how utterly ape-like he was. Or having a faint similarity to a West Virginia Mountains country boy coming down to the coast thats inbred as fuck and massive. (think of the Clint Eastwood movie where Clints breaking those Stones and then that giant fucker comes in and breaks that boulder in one hit.)

I seriously hope that EQ:Next doesnt fail, and is a great game.. But Im really unhappy about some of the design decisions that they have came up with. The designers started off with "Ok guys! We're going to give the reigns to you to help us design this game!" But now they're giving us really strict boundaries about what they want done, and how they want it done when it comes to architecture and only changing what THEY like when they see something better. There really isnt even a change in character designs unless their is a huge population of people bitching (Ie. The Dark Elves).

I would rather they go back to their original plans of having players submit their own designs from Landmark and have those upvoted or downvoted based on what people think the architecture should look like. - And in that same vein, have their artists come up with several different designs for how each particular race will look with an up vote or down vote, followed by vote-able examples of what that races culture should be like. This was the original concept and I thought it was great. I would love to have added combat concepts to that list, but thats probably asking for too much.

Heres to hoping for the best, I guess.
They changed the Dark Elves because people complained they also changed the Kerrans because people complained, If no one is complaining about Ogres not being goofy is it really a problem?

If the same amount of people that complained about Tony the Tiger Kerrans started expressing a desire for ugly ogres you'd see Jeff Butler back peddle so far on the issue.

You say they give you strict boundaries on what information they take into account and that's only as true as it matches public opinion. If people really want something to change no amount of "design doc" or "vision" is going to stop Papa Smedly from kicking down the door and demanding ugly ogres.

The truth is no game other than EQ has had truly "ugly" races and they never released an "ugly" race past 1999. People are making a big deal out of something very small in my opinion.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
They changed the Dark Elves because people complained they also changed the Kerrans because people complained, If no one is complaining about Ogres not being goofy is it really a problem?

If the same amount of people that complained about Tony the Tiger Kerrans started expressing a desire for ugly ogres you'd see Jeff Butler back peddle so far on the issue.

You say they give you strict boundaries on what information they take into account and that's only as true as it matches public opinion. If people really want something to change no amount of "design doc" or "vision" is going to stop Papa Smedly from kicking down the door and demanding ugly ogres.

The truth is no game other than EQ has had truly "ugly" races and they never released an "ugly" race past 1999. People are making a big deal out of something very small in my opinion.
EQ2 had ugly trolls.