EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You were fucked with less because only one guild had Grisvok warping around on a level one to train people. This has been explained to you like 50 times including by officers from that guild who talked about it.

There were parallel groups near ours that complained at times. The people who took over in ME when we finally slept said they got tried. It could be bullshit of course. Meanwhile, selo was SO much nicer than other tlps. Combine and fippy kunark leveling were pure shitshows for example, at least my experience.

Grisvok may have been by far the worst on the selo race but he was definitely not the only asshole to level on a tlp.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
There were parallel groups near ours that complained at times. The people who took over in ME when we finally slept said they got tried. It could be bullshit of course. Meanwhile, selo was SO much nicer than other tlps. Combine and fippy kunark leveling were pure shitshows for example, at least my experience.

Grisvok may have been by far the worst on the selo race but he was definitely not the only asshole to level on a tlp.

It's kind of crazy going to TLP after years and years on live.

Live is so relaxed and quiet. If you run into another person in a zone they'll be like "hail adventurer, how goes the hunt?" and give you a bunch of buffs before heading out. Then you don't see anyone else for a little while except your guildmates chatting about life.

Then you go to TLP and there's 100 people in every exp zone and you're getting trained and every time someone shows up at your camp you're waiting to see what level of trolling they're gonna try to get away with. Then on a new expansion unlock there's a massive pile of humanity leaning against the PoK door in Bazaar and you're launching yourself into it like a mosh pit while text scrolls faster than you can read it.

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>

View attachment 464102

What fucking casuals.

Got to get the BJ while you play. I pulled that off while camping caradon.

In other news me and the boys are getting a chalet and doing the launch weekend. Ill be here for a good time, not a long time.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Foler: You guys are losers for playing this video game.

Also Foler:

1679151347148.png

5-7 nights a week, 8-10 hours a day.

Never forget.

1679151437474.png

• 4Like
  • 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Remember when CBS did a special on being addicted to EverQuest? Me neither!

Poor guy is sitting here trying to relax and play EQ for ::gasp:: 20 hours a week while his wife and this other harpy from NBC are sitting there criticizing him and he just kinda nods and goes "yep"

This is incredibly funny, maybe because as I watch it I'm having a drink for the first time in months. Nothing against drinks, just not really that into them except on rare occasions like this St Paddy's bloody mary I agreed to.

"He plays.. a LIZARD person"

"Whoa! Someone just ran by!"

This reminds me of all the times news shows would talk about pro wrestling and they'd cluelessly refer to someone as a "four-time World Wrestler" or something.

Wait, how is it taking a Warrior with a 1.0 epic that long to defeat a Greater Skeleton? Aren't those like level 10-15 or something? Was this staged?

NOW SHE'S GREEN-SCREENED INTO THE GAME. MY GOD.

Ben Stein actually has a bit of a point with his son going through personality changes. Probably needed an intervention there if the kid was becoming a horse's ass over it. Alright, halfway through and it's no longer funny, that'll be it for me.

View attachment 464102

What fucking casuals.

"That fateful night"... It's funny how this Kotaku article acts like it's such an outrage that the guy ignored a naked woman.

He was doing something. Sometimes we're doing something. Like if a dude is putting together a bookcase and he's like five minutes from being done and some woman slinks in all "I demand your presence in the bedroom, slave" maybe she has to wait 5 minutes while he finishes doing what he's doing. Or maybe he simply doesn't feel like rolling around with his hag of a wife right that minute.

It's hilarious because they have the exact opposite reaction when a guy wants a woman's attention and the woman isn't keen on it right that minute because she wants to finish this episode of her show, which happens all the time. If the man pushes the issue, even if they're a couple, well, that's basically sexual assault!

Fuck off, Kotaku.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Suineg being the reference, although they have never played together really stood out to me.

Suineg did my selos ( I think it was selos?) static and cucked out before launch.

He also turned traitor and switched teams not too long after launch. Scandalous.

Man, that whole thing was zany. I like most of the Amtrak crew (everyone I've played with) but Lord knows I got pissed-off at the leadership, namely the level 1 shenanigans. I kind of respect the hustle though, if you're going to go balls to the wall to win then go balls to the wall.

Also, if you don't want to get messed with in a competitive level-rush situation, don't use your actual character name at first. I did so I probably shouldn't complain much at getting trained a bunch of times while leveling up. Name changes later are easy. So either don't use your public name, or accept the risk of possible consequences.

• 1Like

Xeris

Trakanon Raider
Uh sorry lots of posts in here since my last one, too lazy to quote. I think to make another version of Vaniki successful it would literally just need to make sure the achievements are literally possible to do.

At lvl 60, we could only do 1. We attempted Vish once but failed, and that was basically at the end of 60. I think Yar'Lir woulda been a good 60 achieve. We didn't even get close to any of the others. And it seems like all the 65+ achieves were literally not doable.

So either they need to continue to tune spells/abilities/etc to make the harder raids doable at lower lvls, or change the targets to ones that are doable. Without a ton of experience at later stages of the game, I expect that basically all the 75++ stuff would not be doable without major changes to gameplay??

We did 1 corruption mob at 65 (Stitch) and that was a gigantic effort. Yar'Lir, and I forget the Anguish boss where you split the raid into different jail cells... Those were probably the most challenging raids we did in era... Def felt like those could have been achieves.

I do like the concept of the server, and Vaniki is now mostly casual.

Actually went with 3 groups of Agnarr friends and raided Tacvi last night, had a lot of fun.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Uh sorry lots of posts in here since my last one, too lazy to quote. I think to make another version of Vaniki successful it would literally just need to make sure the achievements are literally possible to do.

At lvl 60, we could only do 1. We attempted Vish once but failed, and that was basically at the end of 60. I think Yar'Lir woulda been a good 60 achieve. We didn't even get close to any of the others. And it seems like all the 65+ achieves were literally not doable.

So either they need to continue to tune spells/abilities/etc to make the harder raids doable at lower lvls, or change the targets to ones that are doable. Without a ton of experience at later stages of the game, I expect that basically all the 75++ stuff would not be doable without major changes to gameplay??

We did 1 corruption mob at 65 (Stitch) and that was a gigantic effort. Yar'Lir, and I forget the Anguish boss where you split the raid into different jail cells... Those were probably the most challenging raids we did in era... Def felt like those could have been achieves.

I do like the concept of the server, and Vaniki is now mostly casual.

Actually went with 3 groups of Agnarr friends and raided Tacvi last night, had a lot of fun.

Issue with that is if it's doable by shitters, the high ends will blow through it in a night. If the Faceless/Amtrak's of the world struggle with it, then you get a lot of guilds who will never have a chance

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Issue with that is if it's doable by shitters, the high ends will blow through it in a night. If the Faceless/Amtrak's of the world struggle with it, then you get a lot of guilds who will never have a chance

So you launch at Classic this time with a level cap of 40 and then give a little prize to anyone that can get a kill on Inny/CT and a prize for downing Eye of Veeshan. Boxing, double loot, random loot, whatever is that something people are going to really be all that interested in doing? Vaniki having the low level cap plus a non-Classic start plus bonus loot plus spell resist changes made it a unique experience as people ventured out to find the best loot they could get but the other side of that coin was bind rushing the Avatar of War for an hour. Level 55 Vex Thal, Temple of Solusek Ro, Emp Ssra had exciting and satisfying moments but getting there and doing them was a lot of fuck as well. Vaniki didn't have much of a population and the people that did go hard for a couple of months all got their fill. They're not going to show up again to bind rush Kael.

The only way I can see something like this not ending in disaster is if it was part of a gimmick event server like Quarm was. You give hardcore people a reason to hack at each other with rusty spoons over bragging and some cosmetic rewards and a carrot or two for regular people to show up. You can launch it well away from your normal TLP dates either much earlier or much later in the year, move a bunch of merchandise in the cash shop and then close it down after a few months.

You could also retool raid DZs to have a hard mode or to scale with the number of participants or both and tie cosmetic rewards or extra loot to them but that's a bunch of WoW garbo with its own problems.

DickTrickle

Yeah, hard mode DZs seems like a viable path but I do doubt their interest in investing that effort.

It would be cool if a hard mode DZ had a little more than just higher damage and more HP, though. Throw in some adds or extra abilities for the bosses.

Will never happen, though! Even if it did, I'm sure a lot of the guilds that couldn't do the hard mode would complain that it wasn't fair.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
If you have hardmodes than people feel obligated to do them and shitty if they don't. In terms of dollars a carnival ride like all races all classes no keys no flags relaxed true boxing bonus loot has to make more sense than Vaniki 2.0 or bolting on hardmodes.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

If you have hardmodes than people feel obligated to do them and shitty if they don't. In terms of dollars a carnival ride like all races all classes no keys no flags relaxed true boxing bonus loot has to make more sense than Vaniki 2.0 or bolting on hardmodes.
Yeah, for sure. I'm mostly thinking from the perspective of someone who has done the rodeo a few times. I definitely think most of those options you gave are likely to be more appealing to more people over a longer period of time.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Be careful, when I called all of this way in advance I had a bunch of people jump down my throat for being a quitter or whatever and say that all these things are doable... while not going on Vaniki and trying to do them themselves, of course.

I do think an ultra-dedicated top-tier guild that min-maxes, on a server that doesn't immediately fall apart when the population dwindles a bit at 60, could probably pull off some of these cheevos. Some sort of AoS/Faceless/OGC uberconglomeration with the willpower to roll and level 36 rogues/zerkers with raid level 2H piercers just for the CBQ fight. Stuff like that is probably doable by a bunch of devoted enough people, just not by any normal guild. And then you have stuff like Lethar and Meldrath that might not even be doable even by those people because of needed abilities that don't exist. A bunch of us gave it a good stab from 40-60. Thraka was the best-geared tank on the server and couldn't withstand some of these mobs that we were expected to kill.

Poorly thought-out server is poorly thought-out, and it wasted a lot of people's time. At least it was fun, mostly, for a couple months.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
If Vaniki had the kind of insane energy we saw on Selo it's possible more targets would have went down. It also didn't help that a whole bunch of people burned out hard on from camping shards and farming Emp keys on a server where you were already spending a lot of time bind rushing targets or trying to out rez your losses.

Personally I'd like to see the resist changes and mez/charm/fear/stun level boosts make a return some day. All that shit was really cool.

Xevy

Log Wizard
The "play all day" thing for EQ is a bit different. EQ, generally, requires about 30% of your attention for most solo/group play if you're a normie or shitter. So whereas a normal job may have huge blocks of time where you're very busy, most jobs have a lot of inbetween time with no rush. So a ton of WFH people in software and networking etc etc can play as much as they want then just suck when they HAVE to do something. It's not like manufacturing or something where you're focusing 100% of the time on a task. Also goes for people who may work on shit that then gets sent up the ladder and have a lot of downtime waiting for other people to respond.

From my experience mostly people in software shit, which I imagine, is a huge chunk of the hardcore EQ population. Again they're not necessarily neglecting their job to play but more likely neglecting the occasional play to job.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zapan

Lord Nagafen Raider
I’d love to see them keep DZ’s but add all of the OW bosses to each expansion and keep them. Make/keep the game more social, fun, and competitive.

An OW version of Tacvi, Anguish, bosses spawn in Frostcrypt and AG, etc and maintain that through. Add OW Time/Quarm, etc.

• 1Like