EQ TLP 2024 Teek (Random loot) & Tormax (Traditional) #neckbeardnostalgia

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
On the Luclin server back in the day the head of the local uber guild was messing around with a chick in the guild who happened to be the girlfriend of the head GM for the server.

GM got mad and summoned/bound Neku right at Phara Dar's feet when you couldn't gate out of good old VP.

Poor Neku stuck in a deathloop.

I literally danced when I heard that fuck OD'ed in real life.

Edit: GM Leycrow. Pretty sure he got fired for that stunt.
There was an incident where a GM summoned an entire guild into VP and bound them there. Is that this, or is this separate? That's the legend I remember, at least. And they were definitely fired lol. I heard it was a whole guild though and not just one person, but maybe that was a tall tale. But regardless it's so fucking autistic it's gold.

Pretty sure after that GM's couldn't even zone into VP unless they were literally the highest highest level GM. They definitely did something where lower level GM's couldn't zone into certain places after that incident.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 14-13-54 ABSOR ON TERRIS’ ROGUE GUIDE Author lum – Broken Toys.png

Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 14-11-47 PC Games EverQuest Guide Kills Characters.png

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

TheRealmOnline

Bronze Squire
What, dont you want to kill Faydedar ~168 times?

A druid can solo the spawned Faydedar easily... With the no XP loss on death perk. I solo'd the entire druid epic on Oak. Although th kedke keep seahorse one was rough.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I was jobless for the last part of Luclin / first part of POP so I got in a nice AA xp group with guild friends that also had lotsa time. We were xping in VP off the racnars that had fast respawn. Other guilds were keeping the dragons dead.

To get out, we were sneakily using the Seru earring gate. That worked even back then.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
I was jobless for the last part of Luclin / first part of POP so I got in a nice AA xp group with guild friends that also had lotsa time. We were xping in VP off the racnars that had fast respawn. Other guilds were keeping the dragons dead.

To get out, we were sneakily using the Seru earring gate. That worked even back then.
Nice. That's pretty sweet. I love secret exp spots like that. That kind of freedom was what really made Everquest great.

TheRealmOnline

Bronze Squire
Kedge Keep is usually where I leveled in classic launches cause it's always empty and was solid XP. Not sure will do the same with Kunark open. Prob just focus on leveling / doing activities that coincide with getting the epic done so not backtracking. Maybe the archaeologist quest lines too... Depending on class I go. If a melee, for sure getting Ivy to push mobs around and piss people off.

Mini

Lord Nagafen Raider
Not gonna lie, all of this sounds AWESOME.

I imagine VP now is a pale shadow of a shadow of what it was then though. Still gonna be cool to finally see it.
Idk you just factioned up and walked through VP as allies before they took them off faction.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Speaking of VO and faction: was running through VP a bit for funsies since I’d never been in there and was wondering why killing in there gains faction with the league of antonican bards. Thought I heard somewhere that bards are one of the few classes that can worship Veeshan? Someone give me a lore dump here.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Speaking of VO and faction: was running through VP a bit for funsies since I’d never been in there and was wondering why killing in there gains faction with the league of antonican bards. Thought I heard somewhere that bards are one of the few classes that can worship Veeshan? Someone give me a lore dump here.

Iirc they split? Ring of Scale(VP dragons) is a self made faction of the dragons who split from Claws of Veeshan.

Why they hate the bards I have no clue. Ask Zaide Zaide .

TheRealmOnline

Bronze Squire
Uh, ok I guess.

Available from Planes of Power onward for 2500 DBC.

Weird. Guess it makes sense given population falls off after PoP so this is a catch up. Probably infuse lot of cash to them when combined with Personas.

They should probably even open it up at Luclin to let people instant get beastlords level 50. Make a killing and reduce the Krono lord PL margins.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
It was partially awesome if you were a kid like I was. But even I remember being exhausted by that shit. You're not actually gaming for most of it, you're just waiting for your clerics to med, necros fervently giving them mana. 90% of the fun (for me at least) was the exclusivity and eliteness of it. That shit is really cool when you're 13 and your friends are in shitter guilds and they see your name with veeshan's peak zone tag next to it when they /w all friends.

By the time I was really playing for real (late 2004) the raid game was totally different and debatably a lot better.

As a kid when I played in 99/00 before giving up for a few years, I didn't really get to raid much. I did a couple Velious raids that were kind of a flop as an un-epiced Rogue (That's right, rogue, see why I gave up?) and a Plane of Fear raid that failed on the break-in. About 5 minutes of awesome gameplay and trying to get the camp while fending off a bunch of mobs, followed by about 3 hours of sitting around while uberguild teams went in and tried to clear the west side to start dragging and rezzing and whatever else. Enough of the zone was cleared by then that I did get a distant look at the fire wall / temple before leaving (using someone's Holgresh Beads IIRC). Now that was awesome.

All of that said, as an adult, none of this would be what I remember it being. Sitting around for 3 hours now while a raid recovers would just piss me off.

Edit: It's like that scene in American Beauty where the main character talks about how he spent a summer flipping burgers just to afford to go out. A young person is like "that sucks" and he says "no, it was amazing, we had our whole lives in front of us"

Last edited:

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm not sure why they don't just sell the Viniki achievements. I guess they are in a round about way since people pay Kronos.

Just would be easier to sell the rewards for 15 bucks.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Wait a minute, I remember this, or at least I remember Leycow and I remember hearing something about this happening, didn't know it was him. I was on the TT server at the time too. Leycow is the guide that showed up and gave me my JBoots after Hasten Bootstrutter ate my quest items (still, to this day, I don't know why or how that happened, except maybe that I'd killed a bunch of Ak'anon guards for EXP before that)

A druid can solo the spawned Faydedar easily... With the no XP loss on death perk. I solo'd the entire druid epic on Oak. Although th kedke keep seahorse one was rough.

Can other casters bind-rush solo effectively? Every time I hear about anyone bind-rushing a mob (Faydedar, Fear mobs, etc) it's always a Druid. With teleports and SoW they would have the easiest time escaping from a bind situation that goes bad, I guess. But I would think a Wizard could do this same thing with considerably more effectiveness, as they can do a lot more damage with their 20% mana. A Shaman could too by dropping EB (long as the mob didn't die while they were dead, probably too risky).

Fuck it, Im going Ranger no box solo to 60

Good luck, couple years ago I tried a Ranger SSF and tapped out around level 5 because it was incredibly slow and boring. Gotta have Zaide patience to pull that kind of thing off. Paladin is probably a more fun class to do a SSF with as well.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
All this talk about Veeshan's Peak reminded me that the Ring of Scale expansion (level 106-110) has VP as its final zone. It functions as both OW group content and a raid instance (most endgame zones are like that after a certain point). This VP revival is interesting because they re-did the zone, so it looks much more modern and has a slightly different layout.

The bosses are Hoshkar, Silverwing, Xygoz, Talendor. You see, Talendor leveled up at some point between OG Kunark and level 110 Kunark and became the new leader of the Ring of Scale. It was kind of cool to have the big final boss of an expansion be your basic D&D giant red dragon, but also he ended up being one of the easiest final bosses of any expansion and we one-shotted him with no testing. For whatever reason Talendor escapes, I guess because they were planning on doing more Kunark and having him involved, but it didn't happen.

A couple expansions later in the Velious remake, they kinda turn Talendor into a joke by having Zlandicar fuse with him to form a two-headed monstrosity (which Talendor wants no part of, but he's basically just a head at that point and can do little besides complain). Said two-headed dragon was probably the coolest mob they've designed in the last I don't even know how many expansions.

As for the other dragons, I think Phara Dar was eliminated during OG Kunark, since the Ring didn't have a leader before Talendor stepped up. Gorenaire is a boss earlier in the ROS expansion. There's no sign of Severilous, Trakanon, Nexona, or Druushk. Unsure if they were slain in OG Kunark or being saved for something else that never came. I figured they were gonna do a third Kunark remake expansion, since they left pretty much exactly one third of Kunark unmade, including Sebilis, and we'd see those four show up there. Alas, that didn't happen. We're missing the other half of The Burning Lands, as well.