EQ TLP - Mischief (Free Trade / Random Loot)

Dubee the Sugawolf Pimp

Trakanon Raider
Bro please specify which Faceless the retards are in.

tenor.gif

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
This is what I think of when asked to point someone out in Faceless or <insert other zerg guild>

Its the guy in yellow.

Dead-Sea-of-China-5.jpg

Stover678

Lord Nagafen Raider
Velk's popularity on Lanys, aside from the zone-specific reasons listed in my post, could also be due to Lanys' server history.

Unlike Fennin and E-Marr, Lanys launched in late December 1999. When Kunark was released, less than four months later, there was still a very large low-level population. For some perspective, Lanys had one resident U.S ."uberguild" during Classic, Kunark, and Velious. Other guilds were an expansion or boss tier behind and unable to compete with Lanys' one uber. In fact, all of our guild racing drama was between the second tier guilds and usually late into an expansion.

With, arguably, a fresh playerbase given the date of Lanys' launch coupled with the snail's pace of leveling and barriers to leveling in a keyed instance, I can see why Velk's on Lanys was so popular.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
That's interesting to me. On Bertox Velk's was relatively untouched for much of my memory. You'd find a dozen people in there... maybe on any given day. But Seb was chalk full of randoms at all hours functioning identically to Lower Guk. People would sit around the entrance forming groups and heading to camps, all day every day. If anything, the dregs would do Karnor's because of the lack of key requirement and the central location of it.
Yeah Veeshan would have Sebilis with 50 people even into Velious and Velks would have like 10.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Tribunal always had people in velks, well into Luclin. Usually dog group, some spider group, and then DarkDoc, the ranger, soloing somewhere come Luclin to max his AA's. I remember my brother in velks at 60 with his pre-sleeper primal 2hb on his cleric in a group helping get gems.

Sebilis has more camps to offer and at that point more loot as people still used a lot of kunark pieces. Velks has like 3ish good pieces irc. Maybe more with some high ac pieces.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It's funny how far "Oh hey you were the necro in our crypt group?" has derailed. I like it.

• 1Worf

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Velks was certainly super fun. probably one of the best dungeons of all time. Back when everything wasn't mapped out on the internet and you finally got a group strong enough to crawl through spiders and make it past that bridge, to the ice castle and shit? That was amazing. Velketor raids didn't count, you were just following a massive raid. But getting to that area doing a dungeon crawl was just the best. And there was some mysterious loot up there. I camped the dumb kobold for weeks to get my Lute of the Howler. Velks is truly one of the best zones design wise.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I played on EMarr and while I'm not sure how it got later(I quit mid SoV to play DAoC for a couple years), it wasn't all that frequented early on, except by statics. Most PUG types still just sat at Seb zone-in OOC spamming LFG, hoping to get lucky replacing somebody or having enough of the right classes to form a group.

I fucking hate Velk's though. I understand it has a great ZEM, but that zone really only supports 2-3 groups of solid players. You basically have 1 at entrance, 1 at crystalline spider(I forget the name, but the spider that drops the haste gloves), and then 1 at Kobolds. If each group is pretty solid, that's about all the spawns that shit will really support. Sure, you can stretch it to 4 or 5 groups if people suck, but that's really stretching it. Plus, I absolutely hated that it was basically the ONLY 42+ dungeon people ever did in SoV. At least in Kunark you had some variety with Seb, Chardok, HS, KC, etc. Velk's was it for SoV, unless you ran with a static or the occasional KD armor farm, but even KD farms mostly seemed to be 3 or 4 person group stuff.

Upper and lower dogs, inner and outer castle, sometimes brood spiders, and sometimes entrance/upper spiders split. Nowadays they get combined sometimes, like upper dogs with outer castle, or all of castle, or all front spiders, but back in the day there were definitely a lot more distinct camps than just three, at least where I played.

• 1Like

Cupie12

Send Tits Pls
Ya'll racing to the bottom as quickly as you can eh? Drive this really cool, fun concept into the ground and beat it into a bloody pulp, toss a bomb behind your back and wipe your hands clean of it. One person wins the 15 green dragon scales in a row? Lol, why so averse to making rules for your guilds? Do people have not feel bad whatsoever? This is like removing all regulations from corporations and telling them they can do whatever they want and telling Google, Apple, Microsoft and Amazon to just go for it. Emit all the co2, enslave all the children in the factories, price fix all you want.

But hey, you'll make a lot of krono in the process. Too bad it will damage the game permanently.

yerm yerm I don't know what to tell you, you were probably level 22 at Velious and were a dumb kid. Unike you I was a smart kid :cool: and had two 50+. The minute velious launched I was exploring it. I was one of the first people in Siren's Grotto and I made it to Westwastes before anyone outside of FoH. So I remember leveling in velks, it was shit. I wasn't some newb flicking boogers in gfay and then finally gets to Velks by the time Legacy of Ykesha comes out. That's why you don't remember Velks right.

Sieger

Trakanon Raider
Velious is kind of when I feel I hit my EQ stride in the old era, I was too ignorant of what MMOs were and too lackadaisical towards the game to get much into classic. I basically hit 50 on my Necro in Classic solely because my uncle and cousin that got me into the game were good about helping me level and harassing me to log in semi-regularly. In Kunark they got into being more raid focused while I was kinda just soloing shit on the Necro. The general lack of real knowledge of end game and really what you should/shouldn't do with your character was high. In Velious is kind of when I really started to read more about how to play EQ for real and got active on some of the good class-specific forums etc. I think a combination of EQ being a weird game compared to everything else I played + I was in High School until PoP (when I left for College and mostly quit EQ) and just had less time for gaming than I do as an adult.

All that being said I don't really remember ever zoning into Velk's on Xegony and not seeing at least 2-3 groups of people active. OS definitely remained extremely popular for exp all the way through Velious, I don't remember it becoming a ghost town until Luclin (after that it would mostly have like one group in it, usually down in Juggs camping fungi stuff to sell.) KC was always insanely popular. It's weird to think now the places peopled leveled and the levels they did them. People would regularly group in KC all the way to 60 on Xegony, even though the exp is insanely terrible in KC at those levels. But just outside KC you'd have 3-4 groups in Dreadlands just pulling zone trash as their XP group, so just the general tolerance for bad exp was massively higher. I remember there being exp groups at the Ry'gorr fort and in Crystal Caverns as well (lower levels obviously), those are places that are barey used now. In the old days there was a little noob progression that went from LOIO-->Overthere--Dreadlands, just grouping by finding wall or safe spot and pulling open world trash mobs. Dungeons obviously didn't have picks so spots in those were harder to find, and they were also perceived as dangerous by the noobs. And you needed a "real" group" with CC etc. I remember Enchanters being more desired and rare to find when building a group than Clerics were back in the old days, and any even moderatley decent Enchanter could easily find a group within minutes of logging in each night.

Sterling

El Presidente
Velks was bad before the revamp. Revamp was relatively early into the expansion though so it wasn't like it was bad for most of the expansion or whatever. Once they did the revamp it was a solid xp zone that had some unique loot that was worth getting.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Velious is kind of when I feel I hit my EQ stride in the old era, I was too ignorant of what MMOs were and too lackadaisical towards the game to get much into classic. I basically hit 50 on my Necro in Classic solely because my uncle and cousin that got me into the game were good about helping me level and harassing me to log in semi-regularly. In Kunark they got into being more raid focused while I was kinda just soloing shit on the Necro. The general lack of real knowledge of end game and really what you should/shouldn't do with your character was high. In Velious is kind of when I really started to read more about how to play EQ for real and got active on some of the good class-specific forums etc. I think a combination of EQ being a weird game compared to everything else I played + I was in High School until PoP (when I left for College and mostly quit EQ) and just had less time for gaming than I do as an adult.

All that being said I don't really remember ever zoning into Velk's on Xegony and not seeing at least 2-3 groups of people active. OS definitely remained extremely popular for exp all the way through Velious, I don't remember it becoming a ghost town until Luclin (after that it would mostly have like one group in it, usually down in Juggs camping fungi stuff to sell.) KC was always insanely popular. It's weird to think now the places peopled leveled and the levels they did them. People would regularly group in KC all the way to 60 on Xegony, even though the exp is insanely terrible in KC at those levels. But just outside KC you'd have 3-4 groups in Dreadlands just pulling zone trash as their XP group, so just the general tolerance for bad exp was massively higher. I remember there being exp groups at the Ry'gorr fort and in Crystal Caverns as well (lower levels obviously), those are places that are barey used now. In the old days there was a little noob progression that went from LOIO-->Overthere--Dreadlands, just grouping by finding wall or safe spot and pulling open world trash mobs. Dungeons obviously didn't have picks so spots in those were harder to find, and they were also perceived as dangerous by the noobs. And you needed a "real" group" with CC etc. I remember Enchanters being more desired and rare to find when building a group than Clerics were back in the old days, and any even moderatley decent Enchanter could easily find a group within minutes of logging in each night.
Outdoor spots were so popular because dying didn't mean much other than running back. Back in the day, dying when you were deep in a dungeon was a massive pain in the ass and even worse if you couldn't find a necro to summon your body. Now that you respawn with all your gear, people are more apt to grind dungeons because a death doesn't matter much.

• 1Like

your_mum

Trakanon Raider
according to eqmac zem (pop era) velks is 113% and so is sebilis.

imo i always thought velks was trash exp, you just had access to higher level mobs easier (like dog/castle area). higher level mobs is what gives you better exp once zem is equalized. pretty sure though velious mobs in general had more hp/ac because of scope creep so in the end it was probably worse for a fresh ~50s group.

it was just more popular because of a new zone, easy travel, no key. people would level there on eqmac (it was comparable to ponightmare/disease/innovation for fresh ~50's)

if we're talking about fastest exp for hour in velious era (even with power leveling - except for pbaoe) then hhk nobles/bards were far superior to anything else pre 55. it was tried and tested for years on eqmac - but that wasn't known back in the day really. on TLP though, its not the same - idk what changed, probably the 200% zem because eqmac had the exp changes (where higher level mobs gave much more exp and lower level mobs (light blues - at the time dark greens) gave less, which was introduced in late luclin era.)