EQ TLP - Mischief (Free Trade / Random Loot)

Los_Necros

Trakanon Raider
I'm just saying your reasoning for liking 1 zone and not the other, makes no sense. It's purely a lack of willingless to learn... 1 zone. It's not like some giant race where you have to run far to everything. Literally 1 minute to get anywhere in the zone lol. There is no... oh shit I gotta go 2 zones over for this vendor purchased item. How bad can a zone be when everything is right next to everything else?

Ryoz

<Donor>
Need more cryptic updates on dupegate, please. The drama-meter is getting low.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I got lost for over 2 hours on my first ever Dark Elf in 1999. It took me over 2 hours to turn in my starting note and get to Nektulos. Remember, no map. And you could NOT alt tab to the internet. Neriak is the hardest content in classic EQ.
I had a low spec machine at the time, and they had uncapped deltatimes on the turning math. What would happen is something new would come into view and the game would stall while loading it into vram, and if you were turning at the time, it would spin you as if you turned the whole time it was stalled.

End result you'd be facing a random direction just like the spinner traps in old bard's tale. I had to follow a friend to get out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
I played a shitter Druid back in the day. I remember my first TLP back after a long self imposed exile from eq- rage fire.
Was super fun and nostalgic. Built my shitter Druid up to 50 and then got a group of brave adventurers to go kill phinny. We socked phinny for hours and then when we spawned, an army of box mages materialized and ganked it in front of us. That was my first reintroduction to modern eq.

the rest is history

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Witless

Trakanon Raider
I started as an ogre warrior in beta 2, and played live through velious and shortly after the luclin launch, but not since. i think I started on Tunare, then Povar, then finally landed on Drinal, if I remember correctly.

I have never actually played anything other race/class combo. I've botted friends' accounts at level 60, representing most classes, but never had an alt above like level 10.

I've watched the TLP and custom server updates for years, but never jumped back in.

I'm tempted by Mischief more than ever, but also kind of dissuaded by how abnormal it is, and now by this recent news.
maybe I should just suck it up and do what Sorrows said yesterday, spend like $70 on the bag pack and 2 krono and dive in.

hmm... ogre warrior?
The only classic ogre warrior I remember on Tunare was Thogg. And if you ARE Thogg, then let me send my belated condolences. You were robbed in warrior BotB.

• 2Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I will say that. In classic and Kunark back in 99-00, I rarely ever saw Ogre Warriors. Night and day difference now. ~150hp more than your smallest variety Warrior and frontal stun has a large calling card for some people over the the perks of being small and good alignment.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
IIRC you're pretty technically sufficient so I'm not trying to come accross as the "Durr did you try turning it off" type of person, but one of the first things I'd check are whether or not the game folders are whitelisted with your antivirus and network security. Next I'd check the DX9 version that EQ uses. Then I'd check the eqclient.ini settings, like CPUAffinity (set to -1 for each), etc.

Here's a link that may be helpful from within the past year:

Yeah hit that up already thanks. I’ll just stick to windowed. I just hate how dark it is and turning the gamma up in game makes the desktop bright af.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I will say that. In classic and Kunark back in 99-00, I rarely ever saw Ogre Warriors. Night and day difference now. ~150hp more than your smallest variety Warrior and frontal stun has a large calling card for some people over the the perks of being small and good alignment.
The alignment thing barely matters by Kunark and gets easier each expansion thereafter. By PoP, it doesn't matter at all. If a class can be an Ogre, there really isn't a reason not to be one from a min/max perspective. The only reason to be anything else is purely aesthetic. There might be some argument to be made for Iksar with Warriors and SKs, because of the AC/Regen and frontal immunity AAs later, but AC/Regen also have caps. So, frontal immunity stays relevant longer IMO, even for tank classes.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Yeah hit that up already thanks. I’ll just stick to windowed. I just hate how dark it is and turning the gamma up in game makes the desktop bright af.
There's a bunch of lighting settings and windowed gamma and shit. Turn off advanced lighting and turn on gamma for windowed (I think) and it cancels out and looks pretty good iirc. Something like that.

• 1Like

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
The alignment thing barely matters by Kunark and gets easier each expansion thereafter. By PoP, it doesn't matter at all. If a class can be an Ogre, there really isn't a reason not to be one from a min/max perspective. The only reason to be anything else is purely aesthetic. There might be some argument to be made for Iksar with Warriors and SKs, because of the AC/Regen and frontal immunity AAs later, but AC/Regen also have caps. So, frontal immunity stays relevant longer IMO, even for tank classes.
Even in classic it is not that important because many of the quality of life changes benefit the evil characters so much more. Shared bank and easy faction quests due to being able to hand in stacks of 1k sure takes the sting out of fixing many of those factions.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There's a bunch of lighting settings and windowed gamma and shit. Turn off advanced lighting and turn on gamma for windowed (I think) and it cancels out and looks pretty good iirc. Something like that.
Definitely this, Regime Regime . I went to Marus Seru in Luclin leveling when I played Aradune for a few weeks before Mischief and had all that shit on. Could barely see what the fk was going on. When I went to POK, any time I went up and down the towers the same thing would happen. Someone finally told me the same thing Xevy just said and when I turned off Dynamic Lightning etc. - The game was a 1000x's more enjoyable to look at in Windowed Mode.

• 2Like

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
The only classic ogre warrior I remember on Tunare was Thogg. And if you ARE Thogg, then let me send my belated condolences. You were robbed in warrior BotB.
hah! Thogg is an old RL and gaming buddy of mine, going back years before EQ when I think we met while playing Warcraft 2 Battle.net clan matches.
we came into beta together with our gaming clan, Dark Covenant, and were guilded together for beta and Classic, maybe a bit of Kunark too, but he moved on to DAOC.

DC ended up being more of a family guild, and I went on to raid with Crimson Twilight and Cats in Hats on Drinal.

he was a troll tho, eventually if not always

good ol Thogg D'Logg.
I was Kilrog da'Ogus

• 2Like

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
hah! Thogg is an old RL and gaming buddy of mine, going back years before EQ when I think we met while playing Warcraft 2 Battle.net clan matches.
we came into beta together with our gaming clan, Dark Covenant, and were guilded together for beta and Classic, maybe a bit of Kunark too, but he moved on to DAOC.

DC ended up being more of a family guild, and I went on to raid with Crimson Twilight and Cats in Hats on Drinal.

he was a troll tho, eventually if not always

good ol Thogg D'Logg.
I was Kilrog da'Ogus
I realize it’s a bit of an exaggeration but I like the thought that you’ve followed this game for decades after only playing a class that had one button the entire time.

• 1Like

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
heh, you're not wrong. EQ was an amazing gaming and online social experience at a pivotal time in my life. Lots of great memories, and I still love PC gaming and miss my MMO poopsock days fondly. classic and the first few live expansions of the game are a blink in these TLPs, but they felt like a lifetime!

it's still real to me, man!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
My very, very first character ever made in EQ was a dwarven paladin. I had NO IDEA what a MMORPG was at all. All I knew was that I really liked playing SSI's Pools of Radiance back in the day on my Commodore 64, and I saw a magazine article talking about this EverQuest game that you create a character and you develop it over time. I thought it sounded cool like the old SSI games where you would take your characters from game to game as they came out.

So, I bought the game, installed it, created an account, logged in, and said "wow this game is ugly." I hopped around on tables, ran around a few rooms, and logged out.

A couple weeks later, I thought I would load up the game to give it one last shot before my free month ran out. As I was running around on my dwarf, the game froze. Just before I was about to do a hard reboot of the computer, it unfroze, and I was in a different area. I had no knowledge of a zone, so I had no idea that the "freeze" I experienced was the game loading up the next zone over. At that point, I was thinking, "hey there's more to this game than I thought."

I ran around until I somehow managed to get outside in Butcherblock mountains. That's where I encountered my first mob. It took a bit, but I figured out how to attack the thing, and I spent the next twenty minutes killing anything that moved. In all that time, I did not loot one single mob that I killed because I had no concept of "looting a mob".

Then the weirdest thing happened. A dwarf NPC ran up to me and said hello. I was like wo.... this game has some sort of AI. I said hey to the dwarf, and it said some more stuff. I was literally thinking, "holy shit this game has really good AI." The dwarf told me about right clicking the mobs I kill to loot what they drop. That was mind blowing.

Then... it hit me... like a ton of bricks.... THATS NOT ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE!!!! I was actually talking to someone else somewhere else in the world playing the same game I was playing. Holly... Actual... Fucking... Shit. Mind blown.!

It's been 20 years now,. Just think. I was one login away from uninstalling EverQuest and never experiencing any of the past two decades.
I really like that despite needing to likely use a dial-up 56k modem to login into the game, you didn't realize it was online or what that meant.

My friend and I were the only people we knew in my town playing it. We were super nerds though and spent our time before this learning HTML by looking at site info and reverse engineering it into shit. Because it was cool. I learned a lot of scripting that I used in IRC to troll channels from another friend's older brother. During HS and the prevalence of half-life at the time, we half-finished a counterstrike kinda mod (we borrowed a ton of shit from CS, as much as we could figure out) and made a ton of maps for multiplayer in general. Alas our ability to self-learn and steal the right software to build stuff was limited. And we eventually lost interest lol.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
That Tunare warrior botb was crazy. First time I met a lot of the top players on Tunare and still remember watching Than and Kaylum wreck people between matches.

Korzax Stonehammer

Blackwing Lair Raider
My game is having a issue where everytime I load into the server it just crashes on log in. My only fix is going into EQini file to change it Windowed=TRUE to play. Anyone know how to fix this since it keeps reverting back.
You have to delete 2 files 'UI_yourname_servername.ini' and 'yourname_servername.ini'. They are corrupt.

• 1Like
  • 1Galaxy Brain

Korzax Stonehammer

Blackwing Lair Raider
I had a low spec machine at the time, and they had uncapped deltatimes on the turning math. What would happen is something new would come into view and the game would stall while loading it into vram, and if you were turning at the time, it would spin you as if you turned the whole time it was stalled.

End result you'd be facing a random direction just like the spinner traps in old bard's tale. I had to follow a friend to get out.
Yeah, I never had any of those problems, but my buddy had to point his cleric box at the floor.

Korzax Stonehammer

Blackwing Lair Raider
Every city in EQ classic is a complete mess. When you got the point where you could beeline right toward whatever you want it was a good feeling.
They were not designed to have everything in one place. Druid spells are a perfect example. Having to zone a bazillion times to do a tradeskill IS classic.

• 1Like