EQ TLP - Mischief (Free Trade / Random Loot)

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Rangers are a very fun class to play. They're quite versatile which is nice. Pretty much one of the more robust melee classes. Can bow, melee, tank decently, etc.

About when does their tanking ability start to wane / end outright?

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
About when does their tanking ability start to wane / end outright?
In terms of MTing for a group? They're totally adequate until at least TSS as group tanks. After that the gap starts to slowly widen between them and knights/warriors as expansions go on. But, I'd say they're never really completely inadequate. Obviously their chain vs. plate puts them at a slight AC disadvantage, but they're definitely solid for a long while. Plus, they can save a raid in a pinch if the tanks get splatted and the rangers did an adequate job of building agro - weaponshield is the tits.

Rangers mostly got a bad reputation as "tanks" because they originally got fucked in Kunark and never got increased defense caps. That obviously got fixed a long while ago.

The era we're currently in-PoP is pretty much the "peak" for Rangers, but they never are really "bad" again like they were in classic, Kunark, and arguably Velious.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I don't think I've ever been impressed by a ranger tank at any point in EQ.

They have a lot of utility and can be very strong situationally but overall its a low power class. Fun to play though.

Cupie12

Send Tits Pls
1. wiz = 823.60K@213 in 3851s {XXX}, 2.ranger = 567.21K@126 in 4501s, 3. mnk = 485.54K@106 in 4545s, 4. ranger = 435.70K@106 in 4107s, 5. Monk = 420.83K@114 in 3668s, 6. ranger = 402.56K@102 in 3933s, 7. monk = 377.72K@84 in 4451s, 8. Monk = 364.99K@99 in 3656s, 9. monk = 357.82K@91 in 3894s, 10. monk = 352.89K@86 in 4066s, 11. wiz = 345.25K@171 in 2016s

small man ssra dz

**edit** wiz is 100% a tryhard and full AA'd. rest are alt dps ~60 aa each with decent gear.

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
Luclin probably the worst expansion for Rangers as tanks. Rangers peak as tanks in 65 and 70 expansions. Anguish Aug minis are about the only group content you'll do that a geared Ranger is the best tank

Try parsing an entire raid and lmk how you do.

My ranger was number 1 on GIGs full VT clear last week. Rangers are by far the number 1 sustained DPS until GoD. They do a little worse in SSRA and some Velious targets cause the mobs have really high AC, but they should 100% be topping VT, Fire, Water, Time ect.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
My ranger was number 1 on GIGs full VT clear last week. Rangers are by far the number 1 sustained DPS until GoD. They do a little worse in SSRA and some Velious targets cause the mobs have really high AC, but they should 100% be topping VT, Fire, Water, Time ect.

Are any of the rogues in your guild familiar with the movement, autoattack, and backstab keys?

Might want to elevate them.

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
Are any of the rogues in your guild familiar with the movement, autoattack, and backstab keys?

Might want to elevate them.

GIG rogues are all casuals or low econ. But if rogues are beating Rangers in SoL or PoP your Rangers suck.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Wrong.

Top will always be a ranger or a wizard depending on what you're fighting.

I've never seen a ranger put in max effort throughout an entire VT raid start to finish every trash mob every boss. Never ever ever. I have no point of comparison to make. I've seen Monks, Rogues and Wizards treat every single piece of trash like their ass was on the line but I've never had the privilege of playing with a Ranger that did the same.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
In my experience with GiG its very rare you have a raid that sets up rogues to do their best, a lot of ping ponging mobs and even a single missed backstab will destroy overall DPS in a competition aspect.

I still maintain the stance that having equal representation of classes are in the guilds best interest to maximize useful loot/returns but on Mischief its kinda fucked up because loot simply drops so god damn much that you might actually be able to adequately gear 30 rangers and 20 monks.

On rationquest expecting to get anywhere close to 10 rangers geared just isnt feasible and you end up with maybe 1 or 2 slots of BIS items before the next expansion.
In the end all that matters is who shows up and pays attention day in and day out.

OhSeven

Mediocre Negro
<Prior Amod>
GIG rogues are all casuals or low econ. But if rogues are beating Rangers in SoL or PoP your Rangers suck.

Mostly true here. Considering that we have 3 active rogues only one is any bit hardcore. Myself, I don't have the cool jobs that let me play at work or work from home and the majority of batphones seem to happen before 4p.m.. No way am I able to make it to that.

Certainly true about beating rangers in SoL and I'm sure a lot has changed since I played originally on live but I remember the gap closing a lot in PoP once everyone got geared and AA's.

In my experience with GiG its very rare you have a raid that sets up rogues to do their best, a lot of ping ponging mobs and even a single missed backstab will destroy overall DPS in a competition aspect.

This is still true. I was basically the only rogue in the last half of SoV and, with the exception of one member of leadership, when groups would get made for splits I'd often end up in a "leftovers" group with the one paladin, a druid, ect. and this is still the case BTW. Which would mean I'd have to joust AE's instead of getting bard songs to resist and never would get ATK songs and bard epic proc. Just forget about getting Avatar from any shaman except my bro Moglyzoke Moogleman Moglyzoke Moogleman so I had to rely on avatar weapons which are super unreliable at times. AHR was down to 45% before I got my first proc the other night.

So spending a lot of time using sub-par weapons for a vital proc, in a group not designed for melee dps, being denied vital buffs, and a lot of mobs being tanked with their asses in the wall. I still would be in the top 10 DPS on most boss fights in SoV and along with our super try hard wizard would be the only non-monks in the top 10 there. I'm not saying that'd make me top dps by any means but it is kinda unfair to judge rogues vs other DPS in situations like this. Hell, made a meme about it a while back waiting for a Fay pull.

roguesbad.jpg

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Mostly true here. Considering that we have 3 active rogues only one is any bit hardcore. Myself, I don't have the cool jobs that let me play at work or work from home and the majority of batphones seem to happen before 4p.m.. No way am I able to make it to that.

Certainly true about beating rangers in SoL and I'm sure a lot has changed since I played originally on live but I remember the gap closing a lot in PoP once everyone got geared and AA's.

This is still true. I was basically the only rogue in the last half of SoV and, with the exception of one member of leadership, when groups would get made for splits I'd often end up in a "leftovers" group with the one paladin, a druid, ect. and this is still the case BTW. Which would mean I'd have to joust AE's instead of getting bard songs to resist and never would get ATK songs and bard epic proc. Just forget about getting Avatar from any shaman except my bro Moglyzoke Moogleman Moglyzoke Moogleman so I had to rely on avatar weapons which are super unreliable at times. AHR was down to 45% before I got my first proc the other night.

So spending a lot of time using sub-par weapons for a vital proc, in a group not designed for melee dps, being denied vital buffs, and a lot of mobs being tanked with their asses in the wall. I still would be in the top 10 DPS on most boss fights in SoV and along with our super try hard wizard would be the only non-monks in the top 10 there. I'm not saying that'd make me top dps by any means but it is kinda unfair to judge rogues vs other DPS in situations like this. Hell, made a meme about it a while back waiting for a Fay pull.

View attachment 379720

That's the whole deal with rogues, though. They depend on everyone else while Monks and Rangers don't.

The shitty thing is that even with everything going their way they're still not likely to top a parse

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider

Yeah Rogues that press buttons and have gear+adps absolute destroy the combined parse in GoD and OoW. But monks beat them in burn parses and that's all people fucking ever talk about.

Not really judging our rogues they don't control if they get ADPS buffs/songs.

OhSeven

Mediocre Negro
<Prior Amod>
The shitting on rogues thing just annoys me a bit since I've seen a lot of goal post shifting with it. I rolled up at classic and I legit heard people saying rogues did no damage and would get out dps'd by SK pets, not in a joking way either. I mean rogues are pretty junk in classic, not going to lie. Itemization for rogues in that era is horrific. Then starting in Kunark it was "well they do good damage but monks just have more utility and can pull" so I started getting javelins and figured out to abuse sneak to get mobs single. It's how I leveled to 60 without a static, I told groups "I pick locks and I pull" Seb crypt groups loved me. Now it feels like its shifted again to "well, they do respectable damage, can pull, but they're not TOP of the parse." I just don't personally hear any other class get shit on this much and have to constantly prove themselves as a whole.

It's like when folks run into a trash wizard they think "That was a trash wizard" when they run into a trash rogue they think "Man, rogues are trash".

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users