EQ TLP - Mischief (Free Trade / Random Loot)

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
The irony is the people who decided to buyout all krono in the bazaar causing the new price of krono to be 2.5M, completely screwed themselves over in the future. They no longer have the luxury of buying krono in the bazaar as it is now priced well out of what the bazaar allows. They now either have to sit in chat channels with "/auc WTB Krono 2.5M" or pray someone selling decides to barter to their 2M buyer, which is one of a dozen buying 200+ krono. Funny where greed gets ya!
There shouldn't be any reason they can't up the purchasing limit above 2m anymore as far as I can tell. Isn't the server and client both 64 bit at this point?

Madmartigan

Trakanon Raider
There shouldn't be any reason they can't up the purchasing limit above 2m anymore as far as I can tell. Isn't the server and client both 64 bit at this point?
I've forever wanted the bazaar price limits to be raised as I think overall it would be a net positive for everyone. That said, doing so could open some scary doors in which entire server economies could be ruined at exponential rates.

Imagine all the high end items that are now sold in auction for 5-10-30kr being converted to 10-50M plat for sale in the bazaar. At first glance, seems awesome! Now imagine an exploit comes in where plat is duped, and someone(s) have access to billions of plat. All of these items that previously were an in person, player to player transaction using krono would be an immediate buyout of all high end 10-50M plat bazaar items. It's bad enough when you have exploits injecting 50-100M instant plat into the economy by buying out all krono for sale in the bazaar at that time the exploit is introduced. Imagine that 50-100M immediate plat injection jumping to 1B+ when all the previous high end items that were krono player to player transactions are bought out at the 10-50M a piece plat prices. It could be an instead death to the economy as opposed to the hard hit the economy takes now when an exploit is done now.

On top of that, it would incentivize exploiters even more, as they'd be able to double dip into both the krono RMT market and high end item RMT market in 1 foul swoop. I'd love for them to raise the bazaar limit, but not until they get a better handle on flagging accounts that generate 1B platinum out of then air before allowing them to buy.

Xevy

Log Wizard
As Lord God Above Chris Wilsion would say,

"Market Friction".

It sucks because it's designed to suck and that's an annoyance most of the time and a godsend all the time.

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Has secrets commented on the dupe podcast video? Could you inject a poisoned packet into an authenticated data stream? Was it that simple of a process? Could you create items this way if you had an item id? I do belive they can't log all the items entering the world, but why not have a trigger if an account gains over 20k pp at anytime on a new server?

Curious minds want to know

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Has secrets commented on the dupe podcast video? Could you inject a poisoned packet into an authenticated data stream? Was it that simple of a process? Could you create items this way if you had an item id? I do belive they can't log all the items entering the world, but why not have a trigger if an account gains over 20k pp at anytime on a new server?

Do you mean, they "can" log all items entering the world? I mean, maybe they dont log everything? But at some point, I feel like the rarity is probably worth them tracking that kind of thing. I know for a fact that P99 tracks item ID's because I have some dipshit friends. Ive never been that close to the fire on Retail, though.

As far as the platinum goes, though - where do you draw the line and log it? How do you distinguish that its not some dipshit not just selling a pair of GEB's? Or buying/selling some raid loot like Cloak of Flames? How many times does that transaction happen? Would you start it at 20k in classic, and then up it to 100k in Kunark? And then 200k in SOV? and so on and so on? The one thing I do know about platinum in retail was told to us in an interview. They know how much each server has in total and have time frames which could probably be mapped out. What comes to mind, however, is why did millions upon millions of platinum entering the world not send up any alarms? In which case, you would "think" that they would have came up with some non-data heavy strategy in order to find its origin.

In that word, lies the answer, I think. You wouldnt need to track platinum, but instead, track its origin. Any approved source of platinum is automatically discarded in the log. Kobold_01 dropping 1 platinum doesnt end up on the log in other words. But Blacksmith_Stove_01 producing any platinum at all should be quite the attention seeker.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

hory

I was referring to blue diamonds or tradeskill items. I doubt it's tracked when Plat diamond wedding rings are created or a pair of gebs.

I'm not sure why they wouldn't set up simple reporting if a new server gained 1 million more Plat then expected in a 12 hour period.

They're probably just ignorant to the fact that it's possible since they don't know the code.

Zaide

TLP Idealist

S Secrets

Greyman

Trakanon Raider
Did the Cleric snare necklace a few times, both on Clerics and Troll Shaman, found it to be kinda overrated, slow cast, resists regularly and it's like the weakest snare in the game, better than nothing but I wouldn't bet my life on soloing in some dungeon with sow'd mobs with it.

Stick to undead.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Did the Cleric snare necklace a few times, both on Clerics and Troll Shaman, found it to be kinda overrated, slow cast, resists regularly and it's like the weakest snare in the game, better than nothing but I wouldn't bet my life on soloing in some dungeon with sow'd mobs with it.

Stick to undead.

Innoruuk Shaman can get it too? Nice. Even if it's the weakest snare it's still something.

Looked it up finally. Damn, it's Clinging Darkness, not Snare. That's a significant downgrade for anything besides aggro. Six-second casting time is brutal too. This probably explains why I never looked into getting this myself in the past.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Bruh if I’m paying $1500 USD for an eq ticket I better get a rainbow sparkling title of The Retarded in game

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Bruh if I’m paying $1500 USD for an eq ticket I better get a rainbow sparkling title of The Retarded in game
Should come with a hooker dressed like Fiona Vie and a good amount of Blow for that kind of money.

At least make it a moment to remember or kind of remember....

• 1Weird Boner
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
No, this would not result in item duping to my knowledge. The server is still the authority on where an item is. At most, it may crash the server if two packets that access your inventory process at the same time, but even then, I think they pop them off all authenticated streams and respond to them in the order they are popped off of the stream.

At most, this means that you could send packets off-sequence, to where you could firehose data to the server. There's at least one person I know who does this for something non-nefarious.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Man tickets to Fippy Fest are $1500 for a 1.5 day event.
I posted this in another thread, reposting it here.

I mathed it out. To stay in San Diego near the event, I would have to pay $1499 + tax on the event, between $150 -> $250 for a night in a hotel, and a flight costing $200 and $400 for a round trip. That's not counting luggage or transportation costs, either! An Uber both ways from the hotel will likely cost between $40 and $60 each way, or a car rental about the same. So, in total, I'd have to pay close to one month's rent in a 1bd apartment in San Diego, where they're headquartered just to attend the event.

Entry level Darkpaw employees could not afford to attend your own event without the help of another person working at Darkpaw Games at entry level, and even then, they would have to have advance knowledge of the event and save up 6 months.

Frankly, I find that insulting to the people employed at Darkpaw only get to attend this event because they're part of the company, and if they had worked at any other company in industry and were a fan of EverQuest (like myself), or work any job that totals 25 USD or under an hour, they would not be able to, as it is prohibitively expensive on even 5 months notice for people in that income bracket in the current economy.

The pricing on in-person is kind of an insult to anyone who is a fan of the game, personally - MMOs are played because they're approachable, cost-effective social experiences. $1,499 is, on average, not an approachable amount of money for anyone playing this game coupled with flight and ticket costs.

Yes, there's the meme about people breaking the terms of service for profit via RMT that might be able to afford a $1,499 ticket. But personally, I don't want those people representing the game.

SOE Live is the ticket price they should be aiming for. It was a decade ago, so adjust for inflation. $40 for a day pass, and $140 for an all-access pass for every day of the event. I would have paid $250 for an 'all access equivalent' in today's market. This is also what I paid for going to PAX East, which is a much bigger event.

This is one of the biggest periods of global inflation, coupled with two international geopolitical conflicts. Only the ultra rich can afford this, and I get that Darkpaw wanted it to be a smaller event, but if you were to ask anyone actually working at Darkpaw Games to attend the event, they would not be able to on their current salaries, based on current salary offerings listed on the career page. Only leadership and production would be able to.

It would have been more appropriate for Darkpaw to just allow press to the event for free, and sell $250 digital tickets. Then, later this year or next, plan on going to Vegas and opening up general admission, not 'luxury' tickets costing $1,499.

I encourage folks to not attend unless they're a member of the press. Chances are press (The EQ Show, MassivelyOP, etc) has already been invited and do not have to spend that amount. The digital tickets are whatever; the valuation of those are functionally irrelevant as they are intended to provide digital goods and a peek at the event. They're effectively glorified

• 1Like

hory

If zaide didn't get a free ride as "press" the true eq players aren't being represented and it's all fake news!

• 1Solidarity

Tlpman

Golden Squire
The price is clearly set to attract a certain type of fan. I'd be curious to know if they are going to be taking on additional investors soon.

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
all the people that care enough about the game at this point play too much eq to afford it