EQ TLP ramblings

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Personally, EQ TLP is a one time experience.

I wish they did more event servers like Selos. Getting dumped in to Luclin naked and trying to do raid content was interesting. With the regular three month unlock cycle everyone has plenty of time to get enough gear for the next expansion's content to already be trivial the second it releases. The average keyboard turner is rocking such a fucking mountain of gear in comparison to their 1999 counterpart.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
I wish they did more event servers like Selos. Getting dumped in to Luclin naked and trying to do raid content was interesting. With the regular three month unlock cycle everyone has plenty of time to get enough gear for the next expansion's content to already be trivial the second it releases. The average keyboard turner is rocking such a fucking mountain of gear in comparison to their 1999 counterpart.
A server that had varying difficulties on content with better rewards would be awesome. Unfortunately outside of emu I don't see that happening.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Having a self sufficient group certainly helps, it basically opens the door to 90% of the game, that otherwise will be not available to you.

Sterling

El Presidente
That first Aten kill with my mage basically being naked was amazing.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
That first Aten kill with my mage basically being naked was amazing.

Even losing the race I had a ton of fun and look back on it fondly. Once it was month two of PoP and everyone was rocking 90% of BiS to then go in to LDoN who fucking cares.

Sterling

El Presidente
Even losing the race I had a ton of fun and look back on it fondly. Once it was month two of PoP and everyone was rocking 90% of BiS to then go in to LDoN who fucking cares.
expansion launches where you race another guild is still pretty fun, but being 2 months into PoP and replacing that piece of P3 loot with a P5 or Quarm loot is not very exciting for sure.

• 1Like

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Relive group/raid contents after 20 years is kinda fun, but I don't see myself doing this same old things ever again.

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
Selo has been the best TLP experience for me.

I'd have preferred 6 weeks unlocks for some of the later expansions that require multiple clears to unlock the tiers but most of the shitty expansions are great to fly through in 1 month.

Like all of the of the level 70 trash expansions should release at the same time as they remove truebox and release mercs.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Selo has been the best TLP experience for me.

I'd have preferred 6 weeks unlocks for some of the later expansions that require multiple clears to unlock the tiers but most of the shitty expansions are great to fly through in 1 month.

Like all of the of the level 70 trash expansions should release at the same time as they remove truebox and release mercs.
POR was garbage. that one gave nothing long term.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Having a self sufficient group certainly helps, it basically opens the door to 90% of the game, that otherwise will be not available to you.

Most servers start dying as soon as they hit the era where people NEED a geared tank to do meaningful content and solo or awkward-composition group play goes away. They'll blame the content and stuff or make other excuses as their guild lacks bard, cleric,and shaman mains.

Anything that either helps nontanks play the nonraid game, substitutes for one, or just hurries the game to lvl 80+ content, would help tlps. Until then byo group (or at least geared tank) or quit in or shortly after god.

Barraind

Trakanon Raider
Personally, EQ TLP is a one time experience.
I can manage it once a decade for krono to fund my test copy kits, but I have no idea how people can sit there and do the base game for months, then kunark for months, up to Luclin when they go "naaah, wanna do classic again", except for the sole purpose of krono farming.

The game gets so much better in terms of groupable content once you get into the middle expansions. Secrets, Seeds, Underfoot, Thule, Alaris, CotF, all have some pretty great content. TBM is a fantastic expansion (and I still spend a lot of time there on alts on test when I play)

But no, gotta restart in classic again!

Sterling

El Presidente
I can manage it once a decade for krono to fund my test copy kits, but I have no idea how people can sit there and do the base game for months, then kunark for months, up to Luclin when they go "naaah, wanna do classic again", except for the sole purpose of krono farming.

The game gets so much better in terms of groupable content once you get into the middle expansions. Secrets, Seeds, Underfoot, Thule, Alaris, CotF, all have some pretty great content. TBM is a fantastic expansion (and I still spend a lot of time there on alts on test when I play)

But no, gotta restart in classic again!
Yeah, like TLP Gates is an awesome expansion, but it's the start of expansions where you actually have to play the game and not just show up as a warm body so like a huge portion of the population just nopes out at that point.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
The worst part is the content pack Era 'expansions', no idea why Ldon, Don and por are still treated as expansions here, so many quit in the lull they cause.

Barraind

Trakanon Raider
The worst part is the content pack Era 'expansions', no idea why Ldon, Don and por are still treated as expansions here, so many quit in the lull they cause.

I do love LDoN and DoN, but that era is full of half expansions.

LDoN/LoY and PoP together works, since LDoN was very much about the augments for your PoP gear (and maybe the 1 piece you could make slightly better than one piece of time gear, maybe, if you had the stars align with the worst parts of the LDoN loot tables and needed a focus you couldnt otherwise get except from the "only on ldon raid loot hahaha" slot augments).

DoN and Omens work together too, since DoN is about a half day of raid content and best part about it (if I remember right) was Weapons that you just end up replacing most of with DoDH.

I suppose you'd do the same with DoDH and Ro, since Ro was mostly minor upgrades to visible gear the way DoDH was small upgrades to weapons and non-vis gear.

Man, I forgot why that block of expansions killed off so many end game guilds until I looked stuff up again. I remember transferring from Tribunal to Torvon because my guild imploded (and jumped to beta wow) after running into the "you dont actually get to do anything yet" Tacvi wall, doing world firsts in Omens/DoN, having THAT guild lose 20 people about 2 weeks before DoDH hit, most of them going to Luclin, joining TR and CD, and then quitting before PoR ended.

I do stand by it getting MUCH better after that, now. Group progression being a thing helped a lot.

• 1Like

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I do love LDoN and DoN, but that era is full of half expansions.

LDoN/LoY and PoP together works, since LDoN was very much about the augments for your PoP gear (and maybe the 1 piece you could make slightly better than one piece of time gear, maybe, if you had the stars align with the worst parts of the LDoN loot tables and needed a focus you couldnt otherwise get except from the "only on ldon raid loot hahaha" slot augments).

DoN and Omens work together too, since DoN is about a half day of raid content and best part about it (if I remember right) was Weapons that you just end up replacing most of with DoDH.

I suppose you'd do the same with DoDH and Ro, since Ro was mostly minor upgrades to visible gear the way DoDH was small upgrades to weapons and non-vis gear.

Man, I forgot why that block of expansions killed off so many end game guilds until I looked stuff up again. I remember transferring from Tribunal to Torvon because my guild imploded (and jumped to beta wow) after running into the "you dont actually get to do anything yet" Tacvi wall, doing world firsts in Omens/DoN, having THAT guild lose 20 people about 2 weeks before DoDH hit, most of them going to Luclin, joining TR and CD, and then quitting before PoR ended.

I do stand by it getting MUCH better after that, now. Group progression being a thing helped a lot.
I quit around GoD, but I remember liking LDoN. Was fun doing group content with guildies being time geared and such

• 1Like

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Ya I don't mean they are bad expansions just that they last too long because they are treated like full length expansions. Currently pop+ldon and oow+Don last 5 months each, it really should be 3 or 4 at most. Dodh+por should be 3 months.

Mythas 5thboardnow

Silver Knight of the Realm
Honestly playing on Rizlona has been a blast. Between 2 buddies and myself we have 18 accounts and love the challenge of trying different raid content. We are very much looking forward to luclin and planes and seeing how much we can kill on our own. Its nice being self sufficient and not just stuck to group content.

• 1WTF

Sieger

Trakanon Raider
Glad to see you still going on Ragefire Lend! I miss the Ragefire crew, but at the end of the day I saw Selo as my only real opportunity to fulfill my autist dream of doing every EQ expansion so I had to leave RF behind. Now that we're rolling into ToV on Selo and have basically "seen it all", I can honestly say you won't find much to equal Underfoot. There's obviously something really special about the first 3-4 expansions of EQ that have kept so many people interested in the game even 20 years later, but after that there is probably never a time when EQ was done better than it was in Underfoot era.

I think for anyone out there who kinda wants to see everything, Rizlona is the best option right now. Aradune is a meme server and will be terrible after the 70s. Non-Truebox is really essential for server stability past a certain point. The only way we've been able to keep going on Selo without it so deep is because we've absorbed like 8 other guilds and we have a handful of players who through various combinations of autism have maintained raid viable truebox box crews into TBL era. But if you check out the state of both Mangler and Coirnav, you see how rough server populations get and those servers still have ages to go to hit live. Ragefire despite kinda being memed as dead ages ago, last I checked still had like 4-5 guilds and all of them were basically as stable as can be because with MQ2 boxing there's no real limit to what you can do as a guild with box chars. You also can more realistically maintain mains of non-tank / non-melee DPS classes because they can run viable box crews for group content outside of raids.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users