EQ TLP - Vaniki (Level-Locked Progression)

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
The baked in QOL upgrades make the TLP servers vastly superior to p99 in every way.
And that's it right there. It's fine to wax nostalgic all day about EQ "in the good ole days", but that shit sucks ass when you compare it to the QOL TLPs offer. The core gameplay loop of EQ is still fun, but all the menial bullshit that only existed because tech at the time sucked ass? No thanks.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
No to mention the fuckery that those P99s have with their mods and other shit going on.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I was just looking at char creation and thinking about race / class / god combos.

I was trying to figure out why they restricted Deity options so much, and it reminded me of creating a brand new character in D&D, where you are just arriving at adulthood and setting out on your own. Your Deity and class are sort of standard for the town you grew up in.

But so many of the gods are "life event" style gods. Prexus for becoming a sailor or fisherman, Karana for farmers, Quellious for people that give up violence, Bristle for jokers, Erotica Marr for lovers. Wish they would open it up some.

It would lead to some comedy with your town npcs hating you or being unable to buy spells or train, but players will always overcome.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
But for what end? Deity is almost entirely irrelevant for most of the game, especially after classic.

• 1Slow
Reactions: 1 user

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
P99 is more classic in its design, sure, but WAY less classic in its rules. They have shit like lists for rare item camps literally built in and forced rotations etc in their cs policy. Fuck that. If you want competitive I just fail to see how their guardrailed welfare system is it, versus the pure and unbridled assholery of a tlp launch and dps race as the rule.

• 1Solidarity

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Not to mention pick zones which is nice addition to classic IMO.

But the problem with all these TLPs now is they are so systemic now. Everyone knows all the hotness leveling and grinding spots and have practiced them several times now. I wish they would mix it up a bit and maybe this time release with Kunark which would mix some shit up a bit. Plus unlock the Ixar day one. I don't see why they would not try this once.

Last edited:

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
P99 is more classic in its design, sure, but WAY less classic in its rules. They have shit like lists for rare item camps literally built in and forced rotations etc in their cs policy. Fuck that. If you want competitive I just fail to see how their guardrailed welfare system is it, versus the pure and unbridled assholery of a tlp launch and dps race as the rule.

My total hours on P99 are really low but for the time I played it whenever I'd try to implement one of my old strats it just didn't function. "Oh hey, this should be good" and finding out <thing> didn't work or was wildly different was such a buzzkill.

• 1Like

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
Forgive me if I’m stupid but have they done anything on a TLP that is like a true to day one eq combat and shit? Xo levels? Basically P99 but live? Or close to it. I wonder what kind of population you could have when you can’t max level in 24 hours. I doubt it would work. But there is something so appealing to me of the old days of spending a few days camping let’s say N Ro, Oasis, then Highpass etc where you would level slow as fuck but meet people for groups and you would see them many days in a row as you all kind of move up. I’ve made some friends on TLPs but usually on Alts that we are Pling in the POP era. Usually the current TLPs you have a nice level session and then look and the person either disappears, rerolls or caught an epic xp group and blew 30 levels away while you slept. Less drops, more grindX slow money. I doubt there is a market for that but for so I want to just spend a few days grinding old splitpaw to save up for an arbiters combine greatsword

There is something I miss about the work to actually get gear. I miss working my ass off knowing I’ll never buy a wurmslayer unless I got one in a raid when I max level and not everyone is full raid gear or beat droppable gear in 2 weeks. I’m also a masochist I think

We can't even get Old Freeport, Commonlands, Nektulos, or Desert of Ro.

Shits on Nostalgia given how popular those zones are/were.

• 1Picard

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I think the only server around that has exp rates based on semi classic style with real data backing it up is the EQMac emu right?

A few years ago Prathun or someone said they still have the Alkabor code and thought about using it to make a TLP but they decided no one wanted it to actually feel old school so they never tried.

• 2Like

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Will be interesting to see how much of a let down this server is after Mischief

• 1Moron

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
Will they ever experiment with a PVP TLP?

That'd be a nice change of course.

• 2Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

I don't think its impossible that we would see some gimmick like Discord again where you get a couple months of an event server but I can't imagine they would ever do an actual PvP TLP. You would really believe in your heart that the popularity of WoW Classic PvP servers was a sign that players would show up for it and that would be a questionable read to make.

• 1Like

Zaide

TLP Idealist

They have said “no” many times which usually means “yes, eventually ”. Typically if they really mean never they just ignore the questions.

The best way people can get a PvP TLP is to be loud en masse on forums/social media. DPG has said they’d need to see current PvP servers become popular but that’s retarded since 90% instanced content and combat free hubs ruins PvP anyway.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
They have said “no” many times which usually means “yes, eventually ”. Typically if they really mean never they just ignore the questions.

The best way people can get a PvP TLP is to be loud en masse on forums/social media. DPG has said they’d need to see current PvP servers become popular but that’s retarded since 90% instanced content and combat free hubs ruins PvP anyway.

What rules do you think they could use to make it attractive?

No looting of corpses?

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Race War with only random race / class / starting city as an option to play and only 1 reroll allowed !

Kunark start with insane hot zone multipliers, 2-3x xp, loot, and random loot like mischief, but only in the world advertised hot zone to encourage fights.

• 1Worf

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Event server, classic only, runs for three months, PvP, first raid force to get an open world Eye of Veeshan kill gets a unique title (can be selected/displayed on any server) and a couple claimable trinkets like exp pots and such. Server launches late summer/early fall rather than May-ish. Add in a few side challenges related to PvP that also have some little prizes.

Honestly what I want is one of these TLPs to lift the Path of Exile league reward system where at the start you're given a big checklist of shit to do with little prize thresholds as you advance. The existing achievement system has most of the bones already.

• 1Like

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
No offense to you arb but people need to give pvp in eq a rest... Shit is so unbalanced its not even funny. Shaman and necro dots are so fast and powerful now you wouldn't even be able to cure that shit before it would destroy you.

It wasn't balanced back then and it's even worse now. So many changes to classes have destroyed any kind of small man pvp fun.

The idea of wiping a raid trying to get open world sounds great until a guild like GIG rolls in with 200+ and obliterates you off the server or you join them.

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Jen has said if you want a PvP server to get on the forums and screech about it. It just never really gets any traction though, because PvP in EQ was always an unbalanced pile of shit and nobody really wants to do that shit. They just want to rose colored jerk off over the Zeks.

Ro really didn't change much at all, other than them mashing it into 2 zones instead of 3. The layout is still almost the same, just less zoning is required. Commonlands and Nek changed a bit more, but they're still very similar and recognizable. Freeport is really the only one they fucked up. Freeport was always a PITA to navigate, but it's just a big, wide open mess now.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
No offense to you arb but people need to give pvp in eq a rest... Shit is so unbalanced its not even funny. Shaman and necro dots are so fast and powerful now you wouldn't even be able to cure that shit before it would destroy you.

It wasn't balanced back then and it's even worse now. So many changes to classes have destroyed any kind of small man pvp fun.

Why is it people that clearly never played on a PvP server feel the need to talk about EQ PvP balance any time the subject comes up.

• 1Worf