EQ TLP - Vaniki (Level-Locked Progression)

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Race War with only random race / class / starting city as an option to play and only 1 reroll allowed !

Kunark start with insane hot zone multipliers, 2-3x xp, loot, and random loot like mischief, but only in the world advertised hot zone to encourage fights.

I'd like to see one normal and one experimental server each time around.

One with a 4x baseline exp modifier worldwide, a "try different classes" server where you're encouraged to reach max level and reroll and try everything. I don't think there has been a server like that before. People will get to max level in like 12 hours on day one (or 6 hours if they're Zaide) and it'd encourage people to try lots of new stuff out. Could also couple this with "all classes unlocked at start" so Beastlord and Berserker could get in on it, IDK.

The other server could be a more traditional with a twist, a Kunark start with Iksars already unlocked, like people keep asking for. Be interesting to see which of the two servers gets a higher population, as I'm sure both would be appealing to people. Casual/class-trying server versus Kunark-start regular TLP.

At some point I'd like to see a TSS start server and still believe it'd be a damn good time. Maybe pair that one with an event server, Classic to Velious with 1-month unlocks, first guild to wake the Sleeper wins the cross-server title "Awakener".

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Have to level a warrior to 30-50 to unlock monk, wizard for mage, enchanter for necro, cleric for shaman and druid.

Toss in some hybrid reqs and we got ourselves something!

I like that.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Looking at that raidloot link for AAs, it's amazing what a difference class makes in AA totals. For example, Monk/Rogue/Zerker have around 900 AAs from Underfoot, while Ranger/Paladin/SK are in the 1600 area. I jotted down the totals across the board for Bard since they seem to be the most "median" AA class, at least of the ones I've looked at. I'll autistically transcribe my findings here:

SoL: 428
PoP: 299
LoY: 0
LDoN: 0
GoD: 142
OoW: 564
DoN: 0
DoD: 218
PoR: 0
TSS: 381
TBS: 0
SoF: 748
SoD: 1124
UF: 1281
HoT: 1418
VoA: 2063
RoF: 1874
CotF: 1205 <-The first really low-effort modern expansion
TDS: 2134
TBM: 1072 <-Another low-effort expansion
EoK: 11999 <-Everyone got a zillion focus tab upgrades here
RoS: 6712 <-Again, zillion focus tab upgrades here
TBL: 2675
TOV: 4985
COV: 2780
TOL: 5560

A TSS-start TLP would have around 600-700 AAs* for the average class, plus 75 levels, tons of old raids to go back and do to power-up, epic 2.0's (BIS weapons outside of TSS raid, more or less), 1-70 leveling zones most people have never even seen, etc etc etc. More than enough to keep people busy for 3 months. Though really it'd be 5 months, with Solteris and whatever else TBS has being added at 3 months for even more to do. Then at the end of the 5 months you have SoF which is pretty beastly and leads into some of the best expansions.

* - Everything up to and including OoW AAs would be autogranted with a TSS launch so players would only need to worry about DoD and TSS AAs.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
I think the only server around that has exp rates based on semi classic style with real data backing it up is the EQMac emu right?
Not quite. I did do a lot of research on it and I understand it well (and I coded much of it), but the big deviation with TAKP's exp logic is that the EQMac server had some non-classic modifications done to it by Sony staff, so it wasn't the same as the PC servers and why we're not the most classic (compared to PC servers anyway). Sony's Al'Kabor server had a 20% global exp bonus granted to them, then Hobart tried to code in the +20% per additional group member bonus that was put in PC side in June 2003 (roughly half way between PoP and GoD) but botched it and ended up granting a very large bonus to groups with 4+ members. (literally about double the exp) Prior to that the group bonus was much smaller, about 4% per additional member-- and that's the correct bonus from day 1 classic until mid-PoP as far as I'm aware.

During Luclin Sony also made some exp changes: hell levels were smoothed out and a large experience bonus was applied to mobs near the player's level for players above level 50. Prior to that, killing low dark blues was the best exp grind but after that killing mobs near your level was. TAKP has these.

Velious era exp was well understood because of the showeq guys at Hackerquest. Much of it is also in the client which can be decompiled. I presume that Project 1999 has it accurate because it's been available for 20 years. Before Luclin however Sony started hiding more data from the client so the Luclin+ era exp changes were much harder to figure out. We're still not 100% precise on exp required for levels 61-65 and they're a best-guess but should be reasonably close. Even just figuring out how much exp an AA really is(was) took some time. Incidentally it was 15 million, or 18.75 million if you factor out the 20% reduction Sony applied to AA exp.

TLPs of course are way, way off from real classic.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Huh, I don't know why I thought there were around 400. I must be thinking of OoW, since I played through OoW and GoD in the same timeframe, hit max level and started AAing in WoS. So the two blend together for me to an extent. PoP and Luclin both also have WAY more AAs than 160. The devs were in coast-mode after PoP I guess.

GoD added leadership aas. These took way more effort to grind than normal aas.

"Tons". Different yes, tons that want pvp? I am pretty confident in saying no.

And you would be surprised how many just want another basic TLP. They love to do classic to pop with 3 month unlocks and no changes.

The question is whether DPG will risk a TLP server window to what will inevitably be 3-6 months before it dies(if that much). I mean sure they did miragul, so its not completely off the list, but pretty far down, i'd say. Or just contiune to crank out almost guarantees of a year before player base jumps.

There are only a tiny number of people calling for pvp and they just seem to do so loudly. Before combine, you had tons of guilds on numerous servers (including a tuco led one from here) doing "progression" style content. Zaides test guild had gms noticing. When it bumped into omegautists who farm old raid mobs for nothing but nostalgia, it got even more attention. When combine had tons of people trying to smell the roses, they noticed.

When discord was dominated by hackers they also noticed.

If you want pvp, the best way to get it would be to put together some kind of self limited zek server go at it with groups of people. If you can't get people to self restrict and play around... devs think nobody cares, since progression could and did.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
GoD added leadership aas. These took way more effort to grind than normal aas.

There are only a tiny number of people calling for pvp and they just seem to do so loudly. Before combine, you had tons of guilds on numerous servers (including a tuco led one from here) doing "progression" style content. Zaides test guild had gms noticing. When it bumped into omegautists who farm old raid mobs for nothing but nostalgia, it got even more attention. When combine had tons of people trying to smell the roses, they noticed.

When discord was dominated by hackers they also noticed.

If you want pvp, the best way to get it would be to put together some kind of self limited zek server go at it with groups of people. If you can't get people to self restrict and play around... devs think nobody cares, since progression could and did.

Leadership AAs might be some of what I was thinking of as well, because I grinded all of them. Completely maxed-out leader AAs. It was a good impetus to start my own groups constantly, which is how I got anything done back then.

Sterling

El Presidente
Group version of leadership AAs didn't take that long really, but the raid versions were pretty gross.

yerm

Group version of leadership AAs didn't take that long really, but the raid versions were pretty gross.

Raid aas were weird, they seemed to follow normal xp rules (like it is on tlps now) when aa grinding at the time was the easiest possible blues. So like people would obliterate growth and get half a raid leader aa and cry but doing fire got you a handful. They also got WAY easier in omens, I think I got 2 dozen accidentally by just being an epic fight organizer.

Korzax Stonehammer

Blackwing Lair Raider
No offense but you really need to give an Everquest TLP a rest... DPS is so unbalanced it's not even funny. Monks with bare fists and Rogues with Serrated Bone Dirk would get smoked by Mages and Wizards.

That's basically the PvE equivalent of your argument.

Also, anyone that mentions class balance in EQ PvP and doesn't talk about Bards has zero clue what they're talking about.
Why does dps need to be balanced? There is no pvp, so it doesn't matter that one person does more damage than another.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Why does dps need to be balanced? There is no pvp, so it doesn't matter that one person does more damage than another.
I agree. PVE game for the most part or like 99% so why bother? Just make the shit fun. Only problem is the min maxers will always overlook the shit classes in favor of the better ones for that role. But I would 100% rather have this than some sterile spreadsheet designed classes that all do the same thing with different flavors.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden

I guess no reason other than having server of all mages and non mages being left out of groups and raids. Or whatever the current meta is. Why have any classes and not just give all skills to all if you dont try to find a balance to the spread

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I guess no reason other than having server of all mages and non mages being left out of groups and raids. Or whatever the current meta is.
And yeah thats the ultimate problem. Unless you have a set group of buddies that dont care, you gonna be hurting tryying to get a group if your not the meta.

yerm

Dps balance isn't THAT bad once you hit 60. It's a problem largely only during the initial level pushes and classic.

It would be far more beneficial if they fixed the balance for the 70s. That's when the falloff really hurts. Guilds start begging for healers and showing 1-2 per cloth class while your 17 monks threaten irl violence against any beastlord who touches a fist weapon. Fix THAT era for dps balance.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wouldn't mind TSS start to see new levelling zones (and have bazaar) but it'd be interesting to cap people at level 50/60 for a while, so we don't push right past all the classic raids. You'd have to either nerf TSS levelling gear or boost early raid gear though, as it is the tutorial gives you better gear at level 10 than anything prior to Luclin or so.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I guess no reason other than having server of all mages and non mages being left out of groups and raids. Or whatever the current meta is. Why have any classes and not just give all skills to all if you dont try to find a balance to the spread

Except that doesn't happen so what are you even talking about?

Comparing dps balance to pvp balance like they're in any way the same thing is completely retarded

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
Comparing dps balance to pvp balance like they're in any way the same thing is completely retarded

You're right in PvE whichever guild has better DPS gets the open world raid boss, on PvP the guild with better PvP gets the open world raid boss. Clearly these things aren't in any way the same thing.

What's important is that some random played on Tallon Zek 15 years ago and got ganked when he was level 15 then quit because "The Druid just rooted/dotted me and my monk couldn't move, EQ PvP isn't balanced"

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

yerm

Let me know when they can enforce a stop on mq2 active hacks. Until then pvp is just going to be stupid. Rangers you can't avoid or just sks dropping on you then fucking off for an hour. I played on tallon zek years ago but my experiences then versus discord versus a potential pvp tlp are 3 different things.

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
Let me know when they can stop people from warping to open raid bosses. Until then open world is just gonna be stupid.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
You're right in PvE whichever guild has better DPS gets the open world raid boss, on PvP the guild with better PvP gets the open world raid boss. Clearly these things aren't in any way the same thing.

What's important is that some random played on Tallon Zek 15 years ago and got ganked when he was level 15 then quit because "The Druid just rooted/dotted me and my monk couldn't move, EQ PvP isn't balanced"

Wrong, like always. It's far more about mobilization and numbers than the "better dps". And losing a dps race on an open world boss isn't close to the same thing as being ganked over and over and standing no chance to defend yourself because you're a shit class.

Have you ever even fucking played the game? How do you never know how anything works? Have you ever even been right by accident?

• 1Like
  • 1Picard

Korzax Stonehammer

Blackwing Lair Raider
Let me know when they can stop people from warping to open raid bosses. Until then open world is just gonna be stupid.
Yes, the whole server cares about open world. No, not really. About 99% of the server is quite happy doing their raids at set times and set days every week, and not caring about open world.
Do you even play anymore? Or are you just trolling at this point?

• 1Like
  • 1Dislike