EQ TLP - Vaniki (Level-Locked Progression)

Kaines

Potato Supreme
I know you're lying
You know you're lying
Everyone reading knows you're lying
Yet you still lie.
The fact you think you're a mind reader when it comes to everyone else who reads this thread tells me all I need to know about your level of denial and psychosis.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
If truebox does nothing why were Aradune and Rizlona different? Ya'll just choose to live an alternate reality that because someone can do something most of the time. That everyone that wants to can do that same thing all the time. It's just completely removed from the reality.

Sure truebox hurts the more casual boxer that wants to play by the rules more then people don't give a fuck about the rules, but you guys are just straight up pretending to act like they never get suspended for shit they would get away without truebox.

Feel free to go post your boxing= good arguments on the P99 forums or talk about it in general chat of the next TLP. I'm sure you'll get a very positive response from the majority of the people.
I dont really disagree with your stance on boxing at the beginning of a servers lifetime, but overtime I feel it should be loosened.

I know your favorite goto is the aradune/riz comparison as to what the percieved preference is. Riz wasnt a relaxed version of truebox ,which I think a majority of people would prefer. The server was unlimited boxing with MQ unofficially allowed up until the last couple of months. That type of environment wasnt going to draw the masses when a single box is also being offered. Imo, there should just be a middle ground between the two extremes.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Gotta love how boxers are the bad guys, then when Kunark+ rolls around, all the same shit talkers about boxing are asking the boxers for help on their worthless ass epics. Or how it'll be 3am and they cant field enough people to kill Random_Raid_NPC_01, then everyone praises the boxer that logs in all his accounts. But as soon as that loot drops, its back to "Fuck you and your boxes." I think that person with his 6-7 boxes eventually got to this next attitude by the time Kunark was done.

The one guy I saw routinely box 15-20 characters on Mischief just never replied to people asking him for help to do this or that. He was nice enough to give people a chance to do shit on their own, but he wouldnt sleep on it. I remember watching SEQ one night and in OOC, a ... group was asking the guy for help on a raid target. He didnt say a f'n word. Then about 30 minutes later, you could see his boxes moving into West Wing for the kill and ..., now in North, started talking shit. Still never said a fucking word, but I bet you they sent a report or two out with "Muhh True Box!"

Then one for classic, killing fucking Yael/Nag/Vox with their own lockout on the boxes. All you could hear for like a month straight is how no one was invited to do those with us. I mean fuck, the clique started this shit - we're just doing the same, you do the same with your own friends. Feels god damn good to have a CoF drop off of Yael that took 8-9 people all of 10 minutes to kill and split all that platinum when CoF is still going for a premium.

Anyways, damned if you do, damned if you dont. But I know for sure boxing isnt going anywhere. True box cant stop multiple instances on the same PC and IP tracking is an easy hurdle too jump over as well. Best bet is to get over yourself and stop alienating people that could be your friend. Having random loot, picks, and AoC's were the best things they could have ever done to alleviate any pains that a box crew could do.

• 7Like
  • 1NPC
Reactions: 7 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Gotta love how boxers are the bad guys, then when Kunark+ rolls around, all the same shit talkers about boxing are asking the boxers for help on their worthless ass epics. Or how it'll be 3am and they cant field enough people to kill Random_Raid_NPC_01, then everyone praises the boxer that logs in all his accounts. But as soon as that loot drops, its back to "Fuck you and your boxes."

Let's be honest. The people complaining in /guild about not being able to get help usually aren't getting help for a reason and the people running their own little squads aren't lining up to help them any more than anyone else is. Sometimes it is nothing more complicated than they're asking at a fucking terrible time and easily corrected by waiting until people are available right after a batphone and sometimes they're just barnacles and who fucking cares.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Gotta love how boxers are the bad guys, then when Kunark+ rolls around, all the same shit talkers about boxing are asking the boxers for help on their worthless ass epics. Or how it'll be 3am and they cant field enough people to kill Random_Raid_NPC_01, then everyone praises the boxer that logs in all his accounts. But as soon as that loot drops, its back to "Fuck you and your boxes." I think that person with his 6-7 boxes eventually got to this next attitude by the time Kunark was done.

The one guy I saw routinely box 15-20 characters on Mischief just never replied to people asking him for help to do this or that. He was nice enough to give people a chance to do shit on their own, but he wouldnt sleep on it. I remember watching SEQ one night and in OOC, a ... group was asking the guy for help on a raid target. He didnt say a f'n word. Then about 30 minutes later, you could see his boxes moving into West Wing for the kill and ..., now in North, started talking shit. Still never said a fucking word, but I bet you they sent a report or two out with "Muhh True Box!"

Then one for classic, killing fucking Yael/Nag/Vox with their own lockout on the boxes. All you could hear for like a month straight is how no one was invited to do those with us. I mean fuck, the clique started this shit - we're just doing the same, you do the same with your own friends. Feels god damn good to have a CoF drop off of Yael that took 8-9 people all of 10 minutes to kill and split all that platinum when CoF is still going for a premium.

Anyways, damned if you do, damned if you dont. But I know for sure boxing isnt going anywhere. True box cant stop multiple instances on the same PC and IP tracking is an easy hurdle too jump over as well. Best bet is to get over yourself and stop alienating people that could be your friend. Having random loot, picks, and AoC's were the best things they could have ever done to alleviate any pains that a box crew could do.
It's always the same story. It's a bunch of shitters who pretend they are "pure" by not boxing and bitch about those who do.

In reality, they are just absolute dogshit at the game and are the same warm body you carried with you to eat CT DTs back in '99. They haven't gotten better, they've only gotten older and louder.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1NPC
Reactions: 4 users

yerm

There is more to truebox then the code. Truebox is a ruleset and it changes how GMs interact with people. Most notable in AFK checks.

The idea that truebox just hurts the casual boxer is just a fucking lie and we ALL fucking know it.

There is nothing at all anywhere that states the gms have to treat truebox servers differently for anything other than literal boxing. Aradune added special stipulations about extra gm support, while rizlona had dreamweaver on discord openly offering tacit approval for "not warping or afking" level hacks. It is completely reasonable to expect a potential server where gms treat people the same as any other tlp but with either no or relaxed truebox.

Rizlona had massive afk checks and it was to a pretty silly point. I think csrs just came there to try to make quotas or something. People were hit who were fairly obviously not even afk, like I literally saw a guy go down while spamming retarded shit in ooc and he came back mad about afk checks. So I definitely dispute the idea that rizlona was different on that front. Hacks? Totally different treatment.

Meanwhile, there is a large segment of the eq population which includes me that doesn't want to play technically dirty. I didn't run hacks on selo and the like. On rizlona I had 4 toons all heavily mq2d up. I don't want to be a cheater, but if a server allows it I'm in. The same goes with boxing. I don't want to run a bunch of bullshit and hacks to circumvent server rules, but if they said you can just box 3 with no bullshit required I would probably box 2 or 3.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
I don’t box much, maybe 2 occasionally, but mostly single. My 2c is that single is way more enjoyable during the leveling / social phase of the game, but for a casual that hates asking for help - it’s nice to have friends that can knock out some minis or fights with you.

Rizlona was a great server and I enjoyed my duo while my friends did like 3-6.

ultimately, the boxing destroyed us, but it wasn’t so much the boxing as it was the greed to keep doing more and more and bigger content with 4-6 humans. How or why should I get equal loot as the guy with a full group? I won’t, so why show up? I won’t unless I have a chance to get something for my time. My carrot on the stick goes away and they end up playing solo and it all ends, but alas, we had fun

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
ultimately, the boxing destroyed us, but it wasn’t so much the boxing as it was the greed to keep doing more and more and bigger content with 4-6 humans. How or why should I get equal loot as the guy with a full group? I won’t, so why show up? I won’t unless I have a chance to get something for my time. My carrot on the stick goes away and they end up playing solo and it all ends, but alas, we had fun

Yeah, that's a tough situation overall. One of the things I really dislike about the truebox ruleset is that its very existence provides the incentive to skirt the rules. You still get people six box farming key loot camps but now they've got less competition plus it's harder to push them out. If you show up to something on the side with your two characters and find out a bunch of people at the raid are running 4/5/6+ if you don't get on board you're suddenly the guy putting in the least amount of effort.

• 1Like

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Boxing is a bandaid for a dying server.

In a perfect world we wouldn't need but to send a tell and have someone to play with and farm shit.

The leveling treadmill when you're late to a server launch (or making an alt) is sometimes impossible and not fun at all.

If you can solo with a krono to gear yourself up, great but its just a big long slog to get to where the other players are without boxing.

Lets face it, boxes are mercs and the TLPs should definitely have a server with Mercs available from classic.

I think it would be a very interesting experience and make xp pot usage a lot more reliable so you still have that need for pots without jacking up the default xp of the server to deal with this issue.

• 1NPC

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Putting aside all the screeching in this thread, just want to add that the anti-truebox code is also a great way to avoid ever actually wiping.
Shit, sometimes you can do it from a single computer if you hit too many keys at once.

Add on additional 20 years of being a nerd plus a heaping scoop of autism and you will definitely have a subset of people out there that are bright enough to manipulate this game as they see fit.
The thing about boxing, MQ, MySEQ, etc that I learned from Aradune is that the reward is way better than the punishment. Esp in a world with krono / account sales where you aren't attached to your account. If you're playing on a 20 year old account with your original characters, maybe you'll be more cautious. Rreally, almost every ban I saw was happening because of training, not because of truebox violations, etc. This is on the supposed dedicated 'GM' server.

The entire game right now only even works because of boxers, seq, kronolords, etc. You can be a purist and want it different, but really the whole thing would fall apart without it.

It would be interesting to see the impact on smaller scale boxing on a server that launches with PoK books and mercs enabled though.

• 3Like

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
The entire game right now only even works because of boxers, seq, kronolords, etc. You can be a purist and want it different, but really the whole thing would fall apart without it.
You are right and the benevolent kronolords and boxers should teach the 1-2 box peasants a lesson and all quit EQ at once and just let the world (of Norrath) burn man.

• 1Worf

yerm

You are right and the benevolent kronolords and boxers should teach the 1-2 box peasants a lesson and all quit EQ at once and just let the world (of Norrath) burn man.

If those "peasants" stopped paying the kronolords for shit, they WOULD all quit. Selo went dry pretty fast and all the rmters congregated on mangler. Then rizlona vs aradune it was rather comical that the no boxing server got like 95% of the rmt boxers.

So you can joke if you want to but the reason those dudes are there, boxing and kronolording, is because people pay well for them to do it.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I'm still super confused at why people paid for anything on mischief. Everything dropped like candy. Just go get it. It's more fun anyway.

Apparently people bought more crap than even normal servers where some things are hard to get because the camp is hard to get or something.

I don't understand people. To me, buying something just isn't the same.

• 4Like
  • 1Midwit
Reactions: 4 users

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
If those "peasants" stopped paying the kronolords for shit, they WOULD all quit. Selo went dry pretty fast and all the rmters congregated on mangler. Then rizlona vs aradune it was rather comical that the no boxing server got like 95% of the rmt boxers.

So you can joke if you want to but the reason those dudes are there, boxing and kronolording, is because people pay well for them to do it.

"Just don't engage in the economy."

Kinda like saying just don't have blood in your body to avoid leeches.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider

I hear you. But I'm more of a kill the cartel, not the drug addicts type of guy. Well, I'm actually kind of a kill them both type of guy.

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
I'm still super confused at why people paid for anything on mischief. Everything dropped like candy. Just go get it. It's more fun anyway.

Apparently people bought more crap than even normal servers where some things are hard to get because the camp is hard to get or something.

I don't understand people. To me, buying something just isn't the same.

Loot randomization makes target farming basically impossible. So on Mischief you end up with a bunch of stuff you don't need. It just makes sense to sell that stuff and use it to buy what you need.

Like if i kill Vhaksiz the shade and get an EOE, but i don't want an EOE it just make sense to sell it and buy an item i actually want.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Galaxy Brain
Reactions: 1 users