EQ TLP - Vaniki (Level-Locked Progression)

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I sold about a dozen accounts from two different TLPs while keeping my main account and I never had any issues on my main account. Some of them even originally shared an email with my main account.

Just in terms of personal security I'd be careful if your secret question is set and it is the same question that you would use for your email or other account that might be traceable from your EverQuest username.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Who the hell would buy a Vaniki character, lol? You can max level in a casual weekend. I can't imagine you were able to amass much gear at the level 40 cap. What kind of mental midget would buy a Vaniki account? haha

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ecko

Trakanon Raider
cool. I'm more curious to see what people's gear comprise of than raw stats. I don't know the state of Magelo's EQ gear sniffer these days but it's gotta be a hassle to keep a magelo profile up to date on Vaniki.
this is what I ended up with prior to 50 cap unlocking today. gimpy gjmp

I've been stacked out with work and also had an ear infection (yay!) so apart from raids, been super casual past couple of weeks. Could have gotten better shit, but really didn't see the point tbh. Will see what I can get in the 2 weeks we're at 50, couple of items I'd like to replace for sure, will have to see how much I can play around working.

This was without charm, so probably shot myself in the foot there. If the server was 2 months at 40 (ugh!) I would have probably gotten more stuff. Should be easy enough to grind out to 50 in a few hours though and see what's what.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Who the hell would buy a Vaniki character, lol? You can max level in a casual weekend. I can't imagine you were able to amass much gear at the level 40 cap. What kind of mental midget would buy a Vaniki account? haha

Someone who doesn't want to go through the trouble of leveling, I guess?

IDK, not like I've given this much thought, just have an extra account that I don't think I'll be playing at all post-50. Then again, with truebox easing in a couple months maybe I should just keep all my chars on deck.

Los_Necros

Trakanon Raider
Just selling one of my Vaniki chars, can't box them anyway and it's the only char on that account.

How much risk are we talking here?

I guess if I had never bought any SC, I'd be a lot better off, but you still have the email address link.

I was gonna sell for like a hundo, no big deal, not something I particularly need either but otherwise that acct is gonna collect dust.
Everyone has their own risk vs reward line set. I personally hate dealing with accounts after being sold and it does happen. Also what happens if the person you sell to gets caught cheating and they go after any connected accounts? Do you think they would connect your sold one with your others? If you're selling it to someone you know isn't cheating and you know they won't resell it... maybe not so bad. But your sold toon will get sold at least once more because they don't give a shit about what happens because it isn't theirs to begin with lol. You're ultimately the one that the shit would hit and you're the one that everyone has to come back to if something goes wrong and they need some extra info from you later etc.

The likelihood is pretty small overall that something bad will happen. But there is more to it than just sell it and forget it.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
cool. I'm more curious to see what people's gear comprise of than raw stats. I don't know the state of Magelo's EQ gear sniffer these days but it's gotta be a hassle to keep a magelo profile up to date on Vaniki.

Your baseline configuration is all of the tutorial armor in combination with the Lavastorm quest items

lavastorm quest gear.png

capped off with some of the more common Gates of Discord droppables and quest rewards. Raiders might have a couple of things from lower tier bosses (Va'Dyn, Lcea Katta, Grieg Venificous, Rhag 1, Glyphed Serpent) and their epic. There are some bigger ticket items people are pulling out of Gates but they are not common.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
What'd be a good third for an SK/Shaman combination on Vaniki at level 60 when truebox is eased? I like SK/Shaman a lot, but it certainly has room for something else to speed up AA-gaining. I'm thinking Ranger to get Headshot and plow mobs. Maybe Enchanter for high DPS in GoD zones? Maybe even Druid for extra heals / ports / nuking, or Necro for root-rotting. Feels like I'll end up having the Necro and Shaman root-rotting things while the SK sits in a corner, but whatever gets me AAs I guess.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
What'd be a good third for an SK/Shaman combination on Vaniki at level 60 when truebox is eased? I like SK/Shaman a lot, but it certainly has room for something else to speed up AA-gaining. I'm thinking Ranger to get Headshot and plow mobs. Maybe Enchanter for high DPS in GoD zones? Maybe even Druid for extra heals / ports / nuking, or Necro for root-rotting. Feels like I'll end up having the Necro and Shaman root-rotting things while the SK sits in a corner, but whatever gets me AAs I guess.
Wouldn't even put headshot into any equation.

• 2Like

Ecko

Trakanon Raider
I've been doing sk/shm/nec with a cleric sometimes when I can be arsed doing a 4th box. Just tank with the SK, heal/slow with the shaman, dot with the necro and shaman, send in pets and shit dies fast. Only going to get stronger as things progress I'd reckon. Will probably change the cleric to bard once shamans can heal better and sk self healing gets better too.

Cleric doesn't really do much, rez is nice for when i fuck up and a bit more efficient when healing with cleric, but don't get enough out of him to justify it really.

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
Headshot is basically useless until rangers get quite a bit of Hdex IIRC. Barely will ever proc anymore. I'd say a monk but who knows with how casters work on vaniki.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Since Ranger is so nerfed, I'll probably go Necro if I bother setting up a firm trio at all. Root-rotting in GoD is pretty effective IIRC.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Your baseline configuration is all of the tutorial armor in combination with the Lavastorm quest items

View attachment 418506

capped off with some of the more common Gates of Discord droppables and quest rewards. Raiders might have a couple of things from lower tier bosses (Va'Dyn, Lcea Katta, Grieg Venificous, Rhag 1, Glyphed Serpent) and their epic. There are some bigger ticket items people are pulling out of Gates but they are not common.
This reminds me of how fucking much I despise systems that have a +hp, +mp stat, in addition to attribute stats that increase HP and MP. Just stick with one and call it a fucking day. Stat bloat is such bad design.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
Ive been 3 boxing sk/shm/monk on Mangler from Kunark until current (House of Thule). No complaints at all, monk is easy turn it on and forget it dps, just stick him on follow on the SK and hit assist. Caster boxes require a lot more button pressing to be effective. Depends what you're looking for I suppose but I would go monk personally.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Ive been 3 boxing sk/shm/monk on Mangler from Kunark until current (House of Thule). No complaints at all, monk is easy turn it on and forget it dps, just stick him on follow on the SK and hit assist. Caster boxes require a lot more button pressing to be effective. Depends what you're looking for I suppose but I would go monk personally.
SK-SHM-BRD is a pretty solid "set and forget" trio as well. Bard really doesn't need much interaction, he's just there as a glorified buff-bot. Plus, he has a few pulling tools, CC, charm, etc. that can save your ass in a pinch.

Basically, the tradeoff is losing a bit of DPS (although, Bard is pretty cracked around TSS+) for a bit more utility. Prior to around PoP+ era though (Fading Memories is tits), I think Monk is easily the better choice, however.

• 2Like

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Monks are always a popular choice but I've come to think they're often a bit overvalued. They don't bring real adps and the upkeep for them is a lot higher than other classes. Basically, under optimal and even just mostly ideal settings, a monk is great. Under suboptimal and especially low effort settings, they get really bad. Keeping your epic clicked for example. Ranger, meanwhile, even though headshot shouldn't even be a consideration... is an incredibly low maintenance and low effort alt. Archery is the least effort by far of any box; even a wizard is gonna be more effort. Gear options are significantly easier than rogue and monk. They get piles of buffs and then a consolidated hours-long self buff. So when you compare monk to ranger for example, be fair and compare shaman buffed monk who may not be clicking shit to shaman and self buffed ranger with guaranteed damage uptime.

Bard is nearly always the safest 3rd to add to any duo if you ever aren't sure. Very very few makeups do not benefit. They always scale well and are always a strong class, so unless you have some kind of weird pet based shit (where they still aren't really bad), it's the safe choice.

Druid is an underrated one to consider with knight + shm. You are basically losing a bit of dps over a necro and later direct mez cc, for more potential healing and utility. I'd probably just go nec, myself, but druid is one to keep in consideration along that same line of thinking.

• 1Like

Cymbaline

Trakanon Raider
anyone know how the rapiers are going on yelinak? i hears they were 650 members strong and doing content, at least if the spam messages from silver and brian are to be believed.

• 3Faggotry
Reactions: 2 users

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yerm always trying to sell the Druid lmao.

It's a totally underrated class. I've felt this way for a long time. 90% of the time when a class like necro is brought up, a druid would be at least almost as good and sometimes better. Shaman are strong too in similar ways (all but charm) but at least the good players know that already and mostly just shitters overlook them.

Ranger I came around on more recently. People slobber over monks, but they're looking too hard at what's optimal rather than what's normal or realistic. People shit on rangers for being outparsed by other classes in optimal circumstances, but ignore that without stuff like those rangers' buffs the gap can close.

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea, in optimal, try-hard settings, just as yerm said a Monk is gonna do great. But in a laze ass experience group when you're boxing 2 others as well? Fuck that. You can set up an auto-click Ranger auto-shot bot so easy to /assist main, /autofire on, and be done with it. Can even put some of your nukes in as well for extra DPS. on top of that since they are "ranged" you don't have to fuck with /follow and that free's up your SK to pull for you if you wanted. Druids with more mobs being tagged as "animals" can charm a lot more things now and that has made them super useful. Had Enchanter + Druid in bats/bugs group on Yeli the other day that was just shredding.

I'm a 45 cleric on Yeli but haven't played in over a week. Never main'ed a Cleric before, but just kind of lost interest. :(