EQ TLP - Vaniki (Level-Locked Progression)

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Vaniki is going to be dead on arrival. The pace of the unlocks is going to be way way too fast especially through the initial eras most players who aren’t total no lifers simple won’t be able to keep up. And I think the novelty of trying to raid while 10 levels under the intended will wear off fast. It will turn into absolute min maxing to try to beat content and eq class balance is so bad that just isn’t that fun.

Yelinak is fine I guess kind of boring after mischief. I wish they had relaxed the spell resists and level requirements for yelinak too that would atleast make it not just another run through of melee quest

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Vaniki is going to be dead on arrival. The pace of the unlocks is going to be way way too fast especially through the initial eras most players who aren’t total no lifers simple won’t be able to keep up. And I think the novelty of trying to raid while 10 levels under the intended will wear off fast. It will turn into absolute min maxing to try to beat content and eq class balance is so bad that just isn’t that fun.

Yelinak is fine I guess kind of boring after mischief. I wish they had relaxed the spell resists and level requirements for yelinak too that would atleast make it not just another run through of melee quest

IMO They should release a Mangler clone every year. Its been proven to be the best middle ground for most people.
But the 2nd server should be a differing rulesets. Maybe another mischief server in another 1 or so along with a normal server.

I am not completely against the idea of Vaniki. I just think the level locks start to low and are to wide for the content. It makes it completely impossible inside a DZ. Only way is with OW zerg.

What Vaniki should do is simply be 5 level below the expansion group you are in. So GOD would be max level 60, OOW 65 and so on.

• 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
40 is such a irrelevant level. Did they put a blindfold on and throw at a dart board to determine the cap number?

And... why would they cap you at 40 for a whole month? It should be a week or maybe two at the most.

• 1Like

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Doesn't that make casters even more useless? Being even farther behind a boss level?

I dunno, doesn't seem much fun to me. New sure. But raid wise seems bad. Sure group wise going around and getting loot from farther expansions could be interesting. What are you going to raid at level 40 for a month? Trying to 150 man OW stuff and pray? Maybe can go against mobs with no AEs, but anything with an AE is going to demolish your raid force I would think(no one is going to resist a thing). Also you are missing a lot of spells from after 40.. And that trend just continues. Sounds like I would just get frustrated basically zerg rushing OW stuff, as I dont see how a instanced group is going to do it, being that behind. iirc early dragon kills with a lot of people in 35-45s was because of mage pet, which you cant do anymore. Can't even enter the planes until the 2nd month.

Also what about gear later with all the recc/require levels on it or AAs. AAs unlocked right away, but you cant get any until 51 iirc. And then some of the ranks have level requirements. Even quests, PoTranq armor, qvic armor, to even do the quest you have to be 60 and 65 iirc? Which is 10 weeks for the first and 18 weeks for the 2nd and by then up to PoR is unlocked. I dunno maybe you are just supposed to find things that have no level requirements and just open world mobs you can mob down.

Seems like I am passing on this one. I expect the normal server to be the popular one this time around.

Last edited:

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The only thing I can figure, that this is a response to the "EQ is too ez" crowd. So, they open up all the content and cap you at levels WAAAAY below what you would need to get the content done.

They are making an already tedious and slow game that much more so. So instead of raiding and rolling through your content, you raid and wipe and wipe some more and are forced to bring a bigger zerg mob making the loot that much thinner.

I guess this could be a brilliant troll job, to make the no-lifers even more no-life masochists'.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
The pace of unlocks is faster than Selos. It is just an odd rule set. I can’t see even a big Zerg sticking with it. What fun is it going to be to try to kill like kerafrym at lvl 60. You are just going to get absolutely destroyed.

grinding out levels for the honor of 500 manning aten at level 40 doesn’t sound fun.

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
The only thing I can figure, that this is a response to the "EQ is too ez" crowd. So, they open up all the content and cap you at levels WAAAAY below what you would need to get the content done.

They are making an already tedious and slow game that much more so. So instead of raiding and rolling through your content, you raid and wipe and wipe some more and are forced to bring a bigger zerg mob making the loot that much thinner.

I guess this could be a brilliant troll job, to make the no-lifers even more no-life masochists'.

People are always going to gravitate to the latest content available on the server. Yes some zerg guild will go kill old bosses for the achievement once and then never again. But after that people are going to do what they can in GOD.

They should have made the server simpler if they wanted level locking. Normal level minus 5 and ALL level restrictions removed from zones AND gear. Each expansion being 1 month release.

Max lvl 45 - Classic
Max lvl 55 -Kunark
Max lvl 55 -Velious
Max lvl 55 -Luclin
Max lvl 60 -Planes of Power
Max lvl 60 -Gates of Discord
Max lvl 65 -Omens of War
<No one cares after that>

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Didn't i read this level locked shit in this very thread? Clearly someone likes it.

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I just don't understand how they brainstorm an idea like this

I think it goes something like this.

They hold a meeting and say the players want a level locked server.

Jchan says "Ok who is off their meds today?"
Jchan says "Great sussipoo I need the new level locked TLP rules by noon"
Jchain says "Yes I know its 11:30am get to work"

WorryPlaysGames

Blackwing Lair Raider
So, what do you do for 4 weeks at 40? Can you even do Fear/Hate 2.0 at that level? Trak or KT? PoP? Even with "relaxed" gear, you are still going to get murdered by AoE's and rampage/other abilities.

10 weeks to 60 and then you might be able to do GoD stuff.

Sure it's a faster unlock at that point, but getting to that point is going to be a bitch. I guess you just let pets tank and dps since MotM is gone on bosses? But you still have the lower level pets who will get smashed even without MotM.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Need Zaide Zaide to weigh in and bring some perspective. What are we not thinking about? Is this actually good? Or is it an epic failure of design and concept?

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I really don't think it is going to be a hit. It will be a novelty server that people try and then walk away from quickly.

Ecko

Trakanon Raider
So, what do you do for 4 weeks at 40? Can you even do Fear/Hate 2.0 at that level? Trak or KT? PoP? Even with "relaxed" gear, you are still going to get murdered by AoE's and rampage/other abilities.

10 weeks to 60 and then you might be able to do GoD stuff.

Sure it's a faster unlock at that point, but getting to that point is going to be a bitch. I guess you just let pets tank and dps since MotM is gone on bosses? But you still have the lower level pets who will get smashed even without MotM.
Relaxed resists might make charm even more high risk/high reward. Maybe not so much for raid mobs, but could see what you could get group wise which is better than what raid mobs drop in classic/kunark. Depends on how relaxed the level restrictions are i guess. If you can enter PoP zones at level 40, should be interesting. I'm quite excited for it, could be good fun, but then I was excited for Miragul, heh

Krono on them messing up the relaxed spell resists and some funky exploits being found however.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Doesn't that make casters even more useless? Being even farther behind a boss level?
They mentioned that they will be adjusting resists so that casters can land on much higher level mobs.

Where they do get fucked is that they won’t have access to higher level spells, but melee will have access to higher level weapons