EQ TLP - Vaniki (Level-Locked Progression)

WorryPlaysGames

Blackwing Lair Raider
Relaxed resists might make charm even more high risk/high reward. Maybe not so much for raid mobs, but could see what you could get group wise which is better than what raid mobs drop in classic/kunark. Depends on how relaxed the level restrictions are i guess. If you can enter PoP zones at level 40, should be interesting. I'm quite excited for it, could be good fun, but then I was excited for Miragul, heh

Krono on them messing up the relaxed spell resists and some funky exploits being found however.
But you don’t even have the higher level charms for a while, so you can’t get the higher mobs…

isn’t it allure at 46 you need for 48+ mobs?

Last edited:

Ecko

Trakanon Raider
Fair point, forgot charm has some odd level restrictions at those levels, doubtful they'll be able to change it without affecting all other servers either.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Vaniki is going to be dead on arrival. The pace of the unlocks is going to be way way too fast especially through the initial eras most players who aren’t total no lifers simple won’t be able to keep up. And I think the novelty of trying to raid while 10 levels under the intended will wear off fast. It will turn into absolute min maxing to try to beat content and eq class balance is so bad that just isn’t that fun.

This is why we can't have nice things.

People like this saying the unlocks are TOO FAST, especially through the initial eras??

Can't reach level 40 in a month with GoD exp? Really?

The kind of shit the EQ forums are full of

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well I'm for sure playing yelinak, i wish they bumped the xp up though, think selo was the only "fast xp" server they ever put out.

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
Vaniki is going to be dead on arrival. The pace of the unlocks is going to be way way too fast especially through the initial eras most players who aren’t total no lifers simple won’t be able to keep up. And I think the novelty of trying to raid while 10 levels under the intended will wear off fast. It will turn into absolute min maxing to try to beat content and eq class balance is so bad that just isn’t that fun.

Dude with Mounts, PoK stones ect. People will be 40 in like 12 hours played.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
The level req is just brutal at the start, after a few level caps its probably not even noticeable. Definitely not a caster friendly server though. You'll never have all the shit you need and your damage spells are like an expansion behind melee.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Think the Vaniki server was to help alleviate the issue most of the expansions have: low to mid level content that is completely unused by the time the expansion unlocks. Crystal Caverns? No ones using that by the time Velious Hits. PoNightmare? Maybe boxers and soloers. Natimbi? No one, ever. All sorts of weird PoR zones? Maybe Drakkin alts that aren't PLed.

Guess this is there way of getting people to new places they would basically never use because they're outleveled. Not sure it's worth an entire server, but I'm guessing that's what they're trying to do. Maybe they'll get some feedback like "OH SHIT CRYSTAL CAVERNS IS SO COOL" and they'll up the ZEM for future TLPs.

Probably not, probably just fucking threw a dart at the intern suggestion box ideas and hit this one.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I am pretty sure this is the result of yerm yerm advocating for a similar system for like the last 3 years when “good tlp” ideas come up.

I think it will be fun and honestly people just get scared at “GoD launch” and stop reading.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I am pretty sure this is the result of yerm yerm advocating for a similar system for like the last 3 years when “good tlp” ideas come up.

I think it will be fun and honestly people just get scared at “GoD launch” and stop reading.

GoD launch doesnt bother me(Did luclin already). The level cap stuff is what bothers me. All I see are annoying issues and problems from it. There's so much tied into just levels: Items, AAs, spells, stat caps, resist caps, skill caps, quests, zone entry etc.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I feel like you guys are missing some of the benefits of the new server.

Based on how auto grant works you shouldn't ever have to get any AAs except for glyphs and the end of the server. You can absolutely go casual on this server. EDIT: I calculated wrong and you would still be just behind the auto grant so you'd still have to do AA. That sucks. But I guess it's still easier to come back if you take a break and to get the less necessary ones... Shrug.

You don't have to try and raid NTOV at level 40. You can raid group level mobs and areas or very weak bosses that drop really good stuff and there's going to be more useful quests too. It will be an entirely new raiding experience if people don't try to put the square peg in the round hole.

Trade skills will be more useful for all.

A lot definitely depends on how well the spell scaling works and if the item level restrictions aren't dumb, though.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

your_mum

Trakanon Raider
yea dicktickler got it right, go raid GoD group named at lvl 40

i think its a good idea to try and get people who would normally not experience GoD+ to give it a try (without having to put in so much work to get to GoD+ relevancy)

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I'll probably roll a few toons, assuming they aren't gay faggots and do "truebox" bullshit.

Needless

Toe Sucker
yea dicktickler got it right, go raid GoD group named at lvl 40

i think its a good idea to try and get people who would normally not experience GoD+ to give it a try (without having to put in so much work to get to GoD+ relevancy)
what named and what kind of loot is dropping that BTFOs other loot?

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I like the level locked system. Adds a challenge to the game and puts some real sense of accomplishment behind many of the kills. The timing is pure shit for me personally but if things were different I'd go there. Content not being pure faceroll could be an awesome thing.

If you hate new ideas or challenge or your precious nostalgia being obsolete just play on the other server with the likely majority? I am gonna predict that vaniki goes like selo with a few hardcores and otherwise generally great community, and the masses of whiners mostly avoid it.

A lot of people who play eq are largely mediocre and they basically fill body slots through faceroll difficulty content while a handful of better players generally carry the way. This server may obviously be a problem. I think there may be a real reckoning for a lot of people who very suddenly find that their screamed "lol eq doesn't take skill" arguments and "I'm a top raider" positions are crushed by folks who just completely eclipse them in what they can pull off. Expect some serious excusemaking when guilds totally bomb out in failure trying to do what others manage to put on farm. Hopefully the forum drama is delicious.

And last but not least, even if the server is DOA, good on them for trying something cool again. They nailed it with mischief and IMO with selo and I hope the creative ideas trend doesn't stop.

• 5Like
  • 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 5 users

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Every god zone has a zonewide item or two that can drop from ANY mob. Riwwi is a better fungi tunic I think. Barindu is a ring or something like that. The named themselves summon so may be wildly hard. Revamped nurga, droga, and veksar loot is decent and likely obtainable rather easily. Just do an item search for droga and you should see what I mean as there is a lot of named and loot there now.

I am not sure what pok quests are in but I think some of the collect ones should be and they reward rank 2 focus items. Some of the natimbi and abysmal quests should be doable. Loy has a handful of cool things as well and I think will be a real popular destination.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler

Something like that will be able to either group or multigroup raid at level 40. It absolutely blows away anything you can normally get at level 40 on a TLP. I think a lot more would open up at 50 comparatively.

I think in general you'll be able to be better geared for your level than what you normally would be. You just won't be killing the hardest raid mobs to do it. Again assuming they actually remove both the required and recommended level restrictions. If they leave the recommended level restrictions that will be really dumb.

However I think some of this starts to fall apart with all the group instance stuff that comes forward down the line. You won't be able to raid those type of things and the real raids will be way too hard so you'll have to go back to you doing more level appropriate raid mobs. But I think there's still always open world mobs that would have value.

I think part of the fun would be finding those things that kind of fall through the cracks in terms of power, like certain items from quests.

A lot will depend on their implementation. They didn't say anything about allowing players to use spells above their level and that could be a really big block for meaningful raids and progression.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
This is why we can't have nice things.

People like this saying the unlocks are TOO FAST, especially through the initial eras??

Can't reach level 40 in a month with GoD exp? Really?

The kind of shit the EQ forums are full of
I meant the expansions not the levels. The levels are too slow initials (then probably too fast later) the expansions too fast IMO.

I think they should have done a classic launch with fastish initial unlocks to speed through to PoP

Just back of the napkin I would go with like:
Lvl 40 initial unlock, planes open to level 40s. 2 weeks level cap starts to go up 1 per week until Kunark unlocks at level 50, this locks at 50 for 2 weeks and then cap starts to go up by 1 per week to 55 when velious unlocks. Then 6 weeks until luclin and start raising the cap to 60 after two weeks.

I just think the pace of this server in terms of expac unlocks is way too fast and raids are going to be a nightmare with a 10 level gap considering the gear gap compared to a normal TLP is going to be absolutely massive.

Also unlocks being so fast impacts alot of other stuff like plat levels on the server which means crafting GOD armor and later all the last blood armor etc is going to be really hard.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
What does opening at GoD really bring to the server? Just seems out of place.

Items are basically garbage until you get meaningful stats in velious+ so the 40-55 levels are going to give a bad first impression of the servers merits.

Radikus

Trakanon Raider
How is boxing come GoD+ ? Never played that far, sometimes boxing is just so tedious it kills the gameplay for me.