EQ TLP - Vaniki (Level-Locked Progression)

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
2019muchado.png

I mean, seriously... can someone name me one redeeming aspect of this launch?

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Maybe I'm missing something then (which is typical).

Level 40 cap for awhile.
GoD open

That's it, right?

It is perpetually going to have content 10 levels before its normal level release. So tss at 65 and sof at 70 etc. Rather than one of the supposed hardest eq expansions having tunat triple split after a week, you'll potentially be trying to get him at all while 60 or lower.

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
How's it a challenge if you can't lose a level and can bind rush the targets ?

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
It is perpetually going to have content 10 levels before its normal level release. So tss at 65 and sof at 70 etc. Rather than one of the supposed hardest eq expansions having tunat triple split after a week, you'll potentially be trying to get him at all while 60 or lower.
Ya, so again, can someone name me one redeeming aspect of this launch? LoL

This sounds like hell. Like... my worst EQ experiences were raid wipes over and over. Call me crazy, but I like to play to have fun.

Godspeed, monicas!

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ya, so again, can someone name me one redeeming aspect of this launch? LoL

This sounds like hell. Like... my worst EQ experiences were raid wipes over and over. Call me crazy, but I like to play to have fun.

Godspeed, monicas!
Add to this fact that it will most likely take higher numbers of players, thus decreasing the loot distributed after you just banged your cock on a wall for hours.

To sum up this server.

Increased raid difficulty and average time to raid, with a decreased loot distribution.

That is not my cup of tea but I guess the players who have already done everything and have bragging rights, will enjoy doing this for more bragging rights in a 23 year old game.

• 1Solidarity

hory

They should have just limited the raid size on the server.
That would have crushed subs and revenue. The point is you need bodies to win. skill only goes so far in eq.

• 1Moron

Sieger

Trakanon Raider
I'm strongly in the camp of: each year they should release a Phinny/Mangler clone + an experimental server. In that context I think Vaniki is fine, on top of that I actually like the idea of a level locked server as well. But I think the level locked where they are putting you -10 levels below the norm is weird and probably adds a lot of wrinkles and unpleasantness that is unnecessary.

When I'd speculate on a level locked server previously, I always imagined they'd follow the level lock order that actual EQ followed: 50, 60, 65, 70, 75 etc. Within each of those level ranges you would then be able to do whatever content you were capable of completing.

Anyway, I think neat idea, some specifics about it are not good and probably will also create a ton of work for DPG down the road. I also would agree Vaniki won't get much interest--the main reason I say there should always be a Mangler clone is a large % of the population is simply not interested in anything if it isn't cycling through Classic-->Velious over and over again, so they just leave too much money on the table by not offering that annually. The experimental server, if they continue the approach of marrying experimental server with vanilla, will probably suck sometimes and not be worth playing, but I still think it's a good thing for them to put out the experimental servers. Quarm wasn't a big success from their perspective and Vaniki probably won't be either, but I think Mischief/Thornblade were huge successes and I personally rate Selo as a huge success--even though it had less people than Mangler it still had a robust population until WoWC came out, with like 10-12 raid guilds initially and 7-8 still active for a while. It also was probably one of the best play experiences I've had in EQ.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The first stop at 40 is just stupid, however you want to slice it. You are going to be max level in 10 hours.

It is going to be so boring that the only thing to do will be to get suckered into a guild that expects you to bind-rush shit that 1 shots you. For a month.

BigDirty

Security Director of Crisis and Weather Management
<Bronze Donator>
or just make all the chalange achevements doable in DZ only, so you cant take 300 people to zerg everything at 40

Louis

Trakanon Raider
I'm lazy... what's the general tone/feelings about this on the official daybreak/EQ forums?
Very polarized, but probably more towards the negative side.

I think they are shooting themselves in the foot with how long they are keeping people at 40. The concept would catch on better in the 50's, but most people will nope out by then.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Im cautiously optimistic about the server and WOW's season of mastery attempt at making raid targets harder with no additional loot was not well received and is currently sitting at being a big flop.

Server needs a better carrot, of course theres no info about what the rewards are, imagine if its just a title and some luclin model skins...gross.

hory

I doubt they're going to go back and re itemize these rewards to make them worth while. Probably cosmetic or a mount.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Even the people are for this shit are going to have a rude awakening when they realize it will just be bind rushes and exploits to kill anything if it is possible at all. It’s way too long at 40 and then by 55 the server is going to start going through expansions at light speed so it will be impossible to gear up unless you play 24/7.

I was a proponent of level locked servers but this implementation is terrible.

a good idea would have been to level lock at the calendar they picked but start with only classic open and follow combines unlock rules. So you beat a xpac and then the next one opens like the next day or whatever. You would have kunark open in a week and then a race to get velious open if you can before the cap goes up. Atleast that would have been fun.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The first stop at 40 is just stupid, however you want to slice it. You are going to be max level in 10 hours.

It is going to be so boring that the only thing to do will be to get suckered into a guild that expects you to bind-rush shit that 1 shots you. For a month.

If it has boxing than you box 1000000000000 Magicians. That will also not be a great time.

I read lessened item restrictions as meaning item rec levels will be lower thus when you're not bind rushing targets for challenge achievements you're grinding LDoN or kiting in whatever outdoor zone you can. Kite in Plane of Growth at level 40 might be possible? Just have your bards run around forever and ever and ever. Ultimately I'm just really skeptical the community has the kind of energy and stubbornness to mash their face in to this particular grain thresher. I expect it to basically end up one guild's private server.

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
It should be a 5 level difference between expansions and it should have started in Luclin and a 50 cap, increase it to 55 after 2 weeks then do whatever timelock they want to do. No thanks doing GoD at 55, and good luck with something like Underfoot at 75 etc. I suppose we'll find out quickly if there is a market for this kind of server, but nothing about it sounds enjoyable at all.

• 1Like

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
This year's TLP season is kinda borked honestly.

Mischief is still a really strong TLP server. I can not see Vaniki pulling people away from Mischief for long. Some will go over there to try to make some krono, but they will ultimately will go back to Mischief. The Mischief server ruleset is just too good.

As for Yelinak, that is going to be interesting to watch because technically Aradune is still chugging along. I know people on there that are continuing to kick ass as each expansion opens. A lot of those people (at least the ones I knew when I played there) were tired of hopping from TLP to TLP. They were looking for a server to ride out to Live. The ones that didn't want to ride it out went to Mischief when it opened. So, really, I expect a lot of those people to either stick it out on Aradune or retire from the game all together.

I really think that TLP fatigue is something that might play in to this year's new TLPs. It will be interesting to watch and see if Yelinak makes it past Kunark before the populous dwindles out.