EQ TLP - Vaniki (Level-Locked Progression)

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
We've had enough of these servers now that people have mostly checked off everything on their EQ bucket lists. Heck, there's probably a bunch people hooked on the Mischief ruleset that will be hard to hook on a vanilla TLP ever again.
I think "vanilla" TLPs might be done for quite a while, if not for good. Mischief showed us all a better EQ..

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I'd like to box on here but it looks like it's truebox until level 60 and I'm down to one computer. So that's pretty lame. Was thinking SK/Sham, with SK as main. Might start with the Sham for the early content and mainchange at 60 once I can box both.

Any thirds that go well with SK/Sham at lower levels (sub-70)? Magician was my backup idea so I wouldn't mind rolling one of those as DPS backup. Also looking at chanter and bard though.

With the capped levels and higher exp gain, this server is ideal for people who want to have multiple chars even if they don't have a ton of time. Too bad the truebox isn't being lightened until 60, doing that from the get-go would be much more convenient.

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
Prob necro for 3rd if you do sk/shm and plan to box. If you just have a little time to play and cant get a group, you can trio w/ necro charm (at least up to and including 65 content, idk about post 65). You wont be able to keep up heals on your charm pet with shm. With necro you can just break charm, snare, fd while your other 2 toons stay oor and the pet will ooc regen to full in a few seconds. Enchanter without clr youd prob have to camp every so often to do the same. Not sure if theres much for necro to charm post 65 tho

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'd like to box on here but it looks like it's truebox until level 60 and I'm down to one computer. So that's pretty lame. Was thinking SK/Sham, with SK as main. Might start with the Sham for the early content and mainchange at 60 once I can box both.

Any thirds that go well with SK/Sham at lower levels (sub-70)? Magician was my backup idea so I wouldn't mind rolling one of those as DPS backup. Also looking at chanter and bard though.

With the capped levels and higher exp gain, this server is ideal for people who want to have multiple chars even if they don't have a ton of time. Too bad the truebox isn't being lightened until 60, doing that from the get-go would be much more convenient.

The nice thing about sk shm is there arent many "bad" thirds. Lots of ideas work.

For your magician backup, its a wildly strong class at low levels, but I actually think a necro is generally better here. You don't need malo or your pet to tank, and when trioing your kill speed tends to be slower than a good full group such that nec dots do real work. Chanter and bard are both good. The bard is handy in that it can become super low maintenance without much loss. Enchanter the big drawback is you'll kinda need to charm to get much dps value and you lack strong pet heals.

A lot of people do monk boxes as a third, and my assumption is its a combination of easy afk melee box + can be all iksars. Personally I think a ranger is a better fit for a box; it's easier to gear as a non main and gives your geared sk more adps, plus it can be super low maintenance like a bard IF you wanted to, versus monk who kinda needs to be positioned and sorta kinda should really be clicking its epic. I know you didn't mention monk, but, just saying.

Tldr I recommend necro, bard, or ranger... but anything that isn't a 2nd plate tank works here.

• 1Like

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
If they lower the levels on aa then it makes ranger even more attractive. If they don’t I would lean to bard because it just has great synergy with both sk and shm.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Prob necro for 3rd if you do sk/shm and plan to box. If you just have a little time to play and cant get a group, you can trio w/ necro charm (at least up to and including 65 content, idk about post 65). You wont be able to keep up heals on your charm pet with shm. With necro you can just break charm, snare, fd while your other 2 toons stay oor and the pet will ooc regen to full in a few seconds. Enchanter without clr youd prob have to camp every so often to do the same. Not sure if theres much for necro to charm post 65 tho

Necro that knows what they're doing can also kite Yxxta primals at 65, maybe on this server we'll see it happen even earlier. Mage would be less DPS but it'd be a lot safer than running charm on a 3rd box. Allows more AFK and whatnot if I'm banging out some mobs at work.

Drawing a blank on what Necros can charm post 65 but I'm sure there's something good. Undead murkgliders in OOW?

Probably just gonna go SK here and get a secondary shaman running for when it allows boxing. Having a pocket healer to duo things when necessary is pretty invaluable. Might take a while to down enemies without a Mag or Nec along though.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The nice thing about sk shm is there arent many "bad" thirds. Lots of ideas work.

For your magician backup, its a wildly strong class at low levels, but I actually think a necro is generally better here. You don't need malo or your pet to tank, and when trioing your kill speed tends to be slower than a good full group such that nec dots do real work. Chanter and bard are both good. The bard is handy in that it can become super low maintenance without much loss. Enchanter the big drawback is you'll kinda need to charm to get much dps value and you lack strong pet heals.

A lot of people do monk boxes as a third, and my assumption is its a combination of easy afk melee box + can be all iksars. Personally I think a ranger is a better fit for a box; it's easier to gear as a non main and gives your geared sk more adps, plus it can be super low maintenance like a bard IF you wanted to, versus monk who kinda needs to be positioned and sorta kinda should really be clicking its epic. I know you didn't mention monk, but, just saying.

Tldr I recommend necro, bard, or ranger... but anything that isn't a 2nd plate tank works here.

You're right, Ranger is a possibility too instead of Mag or Nec, especially if AAs are available sooner like Creslin said. I'll figure it out later, might just duo, depends how tryhard I want to be here. Too bad truebox is in at the start because we're gonna be farming a lot of LDONs at first and it'd be sweet to be able to get/do those at odd hours without a group if you pop on. By the time the truebox restrictions are lifted LDON won't be the farm anymore.

Gotta say, the more I thought about this server, the more excited I am for it. My better EQ memories were when we were challenged by content with a limited timeframe to get it done or some other handicap that made us work harder to accomplish the same thing. Most fun I ever had in game was beating Mearatas in-era on TLP with an undergeared force (due to the TLP rushing you along) and a short time limit before it was out of era.

unfettered 2.png

And we nearly got all cheevos on that shot too, except the last cheevo was missed by one particular Mischief sleeper-awakening dolt who knows who he is. No maxed-out evolving Burning Lands armors for us! But whatever, it was such a rush to get that down in-era, knowing that a few days later we'd get five more levels and the victory wouldn't mean nearly as much as it would if we got it done inside of the two months of that TLP phase. Vaniki will probably have a lot of experiences similar to this.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I hope it ends up Free Trade. If you're going to jack the difficulty to the goddamn moon it would be really fucking helpful if guilds could move resources around easily. The raid force guilds are going to be using at the open to climb out of the muck is not going to be what you want once you're on your feet. That's fine. Rerolling is going to super common. I expect lots of players to have lots of configurations. You should be allowed to transfer what scant gear you can get.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
The population retention on Mischief should shut them the fuck up if DBG enjoys making money.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
There's too many whiny man babies on the forums against free trade

I just think it would allow guilds attempting challenges to better allocate what will be very, very scarce resources and make the best decisions they can regarding composition. Doing Selo with its Luclin start and half lockouts it was tough to get even basic raid gear in every slot in the six weeks before PoP. Four weeks before the first level increase with at least one of the targets being the Velious version of Cazic Thule is almost no time at all. Sure you've got more eras to pull from but also you're level fucking 40.

• 1Like

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The problem with free trade is it cheapens the achievement of gear you get and creates a further market aspect to what appears to be a hardcore server. If they could somehow have free trade "unlock" on items once their "level" is met (up to luclin at 60, god at 65, etc) while the challenge items are nodrop, that could be pretty cool.

To be perfectly honest though as much as I like the concept, having it be the same era AND free trade as mischief would be a little bit weird. They should drop a free trade when mischief has moved on a bit more. Having mischiefs extra loot tables (just not randomized) would probably help more than free trade. So instead of more flexibility on where items go, you just get a ton more when you get em so less need to farm this shit as much.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The population retention on Mischief should shut them the fuck up if DBG enjoys making money.

On top of its retention it has to be the gentlest server to show up late for relative to its era. I popped in to check some shit out and provided you can hobble your way to 65 you can actually like, buy some gear to fill out your character.

1649999933017.png

With a krono going for 250k+.

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
Free trade on Mischief is different because bonus loot. Free trade WITHOUT bonus loot isn't as big a waterdown of achievements. Just means MQ bot boxers and for-profit guilds will get you the gear you can't win in your guild raids or whatever. For instance those molds would be for sale, but not for nearly that low. I think free trade is DEFINITELY the way to go for future TLPs, although who knows what shitlord 12 necro camper fuckers are going to find is worth their RMT workday to camp if no drop items become dropable. Weird shit like items from Howling Stones or Dragons Necropolis or shit.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I didn't mean to imply Vaniki would have piles of loot, just that Michief/Throneblade are more accessible at 65 than any server before them ever has been. It's actually kind of cool. Free trade on Vaniki I want purely to smooth the logistics of top end raiding. You don't get more stuff but you can get more use out of the stuff you do get. As it stands guild are going to have to mega funnel and mega funnel only to those people leadership trusts. It's going to be inherently cliquey. That's going to turn people off when it's just kind of a necessity.

Last edited:

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Yeah, I wouldn't want to be a tank that wasn't part of the inner circle if it wasn't a pure DKP system.

• 1Like

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
I think "vanilla" TLPs might be done for quite a while, if not for good. Mischief showed us all a better EQ..
I hope that's the case and we start getting more creative rulesets. If no one plays on Yelinak, it'll probably put that whole idea to bed. It's classic A/B testing that is easy to pull numbers from with minimal risk for Daybreak.

Vaniki seems like it's game altering to the biggest extent of any ruleset they've tried to date - basically EQ's "Season of Mastery" server. I'm quite excited to see so many people pumped for it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users