EQ TLP - Vaniki (Level-Locked Progression)

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
It blows my mind that this game can still do that for players. 20+ year old game and players can make a living off it.

Amazing
Surprised Cat GIF
LOL if you think you're making a "living" off 20k/year.

I guess if you're a loser, drain on society who gets the rest of his shit (housing, food, etc.) taken care of by the government you can.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
120 instances @ 100 krono a pop, it's definitely doable but how they managed to not lose the whole batch in a ban says a lot about daybreak.

That's just not anywhere near realistic. Even if you 3x Split water/fire/sol ro tower that's only 48 DZs for the 4 months. 100 KR on avg for any of those DZs after week 2 is delusional. If you're boxing the numbers you would need for that it's a lot of overhead.

All the major PLers are typically RMTers that play on every server.

Don't get me wrong you could've made a ton of money just i don't believe that 120k figure.

Mur

Trakanon Raider
Any FoH guild this TLP?

Also, Zaide Zaide are you going for a 1-50 speed run this TLP? And if so are you streaming? I will need something to watch while I am in Que.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
My instinct is that people count Krono earned as money earned, but to me sittin on 12000 krono is not that same as sittin on 120k USD.

However, if they are selling toons as well, who knows.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
LOL if you think you're making a "living" off 20k/year.

I guess if you're a loser, drain on society who gets the rest of his shit (housing, food, etc.) taken care of by the government you can.
Yes, except he said that was "Just" in a 4 month period of time on PoP. This implies they had since been making money and so I am assuming have made more than that in the 8 months prior. So that would not only be 20k.

Do I think it is true? I cannot say.

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
In PoP they cleared 120k USD just during that 4 month period split between six people.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

How??? I don't mean how do people farm gear to sell... I mean how the f00k are there THAT many buyers of pixels?

I'm serious, I can't comprehend this.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

How??? I don't mean how do people farm gear to sell... I mean how the f00k are there THAT many buyers of pixels?

On Mischief everyone buys pixels (for plat) since it's random loot. Sell what you don't need buy what you do (for plat).

People buy krono because farmers sell it for half what DPG does. All pretty simple.

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
All pretty simple.
It's not to me, but I'm permanently on the outside looking in and 95% of my posts about EQ are just trying to understand 2022 EQ heh.

RMT'ing I get, but those numbers??? Nope. That's 120 "customers" paying 1k each. That's the part I can't wrap my head around, and don't get me wrong, I trust Zaide completely, it's just mind-boggling.

Here's a question: Krono drops randomly? How's it work? On bosses/raid mobs only or is it like a 0.1% super-rare drop on any mob server-wide?

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm not sure I get the appeal. 120k split 6 ways is 20k each. Assume that 4 month period is consistent (likely its not, but hey) and thats 60k a year. The hardcore rmters I usually see work WELL over 40 hours a week "playing" eq. If you can manage a variety of characters and/or figure out how to do 3rd party sales, you can get an entry desk job and make more than that.

Now, if these dudes pulled those numbers as a sort of side gig just from a few hours a day or so, good work.

Los_Necros

Trakanon Raider
It's not to me, but I'm permanently on the outside looking in and 95% of my posts about EQ are just trying to understand 2022 EQ heh.

RMT'ing I get, but those numbers??? Nope. That's 120 "customers" paying 1k each. That's the part I can't wrap my head around, and don't get me wrong, I trust Zaide completely, it's just mind-boggling.

Here's a question: Krono drops randomly? How's it work? On bosses/raid mobs only or is it like a 0.1% super-rare drop on any mob server-wide?
You get items. You sell items for plat OR krono. You trade the plat for more krono because people sell their krono for plat. They use that plat to buy things in game.

Krono itself does not drop from any mobs.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ikkan

Molten Core Raider
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

A large number of people on TLPs never RMT. There are some that buy gear from RMTers now and again; a specific item or just a few upgrades that they need. But they really make a lot of money off the small number of whales in the game that spend TONS of money on gear for their toons. We had a guy in our guild on Rizlona that spent over $2500 on gear JUST during PoP.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
There are however lots of people that buy krono "aftermarket". I know I definitely feel a little bit like a sucker paying 14.99 for my sub when I could buy a krono from one of the resident lords and save myself $5-$7 a month. Not to mention if I actually wanted to twink a toon and sell my own krono (in game for platinum as they are intended) I'd be paying almost double to DPG vs. ectunnel.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I'm not sure I get the appeal. 120k split 6 ways is 20k each. Assume that 4 month period is consistent (likely its not, but hey) and thats 60k a year. The hardcore rmters I usually see work WELL over 40 hours a week "playing" eq. If you can manage a variety of characters and/or figure out how to do 3rd party sales, you can get an entry desk job and make more than that.

Now, if these dudes pulled those numbers as a sort of side gig just from a few hours a day or so, good work.
The guys I know were the 24/7 no life types (I use that as a term of endearment) and so this is just monetizing what they’d already be doing.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I've 12boxed on truebox servers. It's incredibly easy with VMs and MQ2.

Bro you think those massive box armies running around are actually 1 pc to 1 characters. Outside of 2 or 3 psychos, they arent.There are a couple of ways to bypass it and if you do not believe it then you just aren't in the know.

Serious Q: If DPG created a TLP server that:

1. Allowed one character per person
  2. Limited EQ to one character per IP
  3. Banned all VPNs
Do you think that'd be feasible to do and would significantly limit boxing on that server?

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Serious Q: If DPG created a TLP server that:

1. Allowed one character per person
  2. Limited EQ to one character per IP
  3. Banned all VPNs
Do you think that'd be feasible to do and would significantly limit boxing on that server?
I don't think it'd be financially viable at all. That's why EQ emulator servers exist as a containment center for people who actually want to play one character and have a staff be overbearing on enforcing it. P99 is currently the only 1box server I can think of, and it's more than enough for the 1Box experience for most.

As long as Darkpaw has limited CS resources (hiring a new employee or finding a contractor working for $15/hr is costly in today's market, too, so keep that in mind) they will never be able to truly enforce it. They cannot rely on automation to detect boxing, it is mostly a visible / player report sort of issue.

You'd also have to disallow instancing so boxing is easier to watch - and if you do, the server would be dead on arrival if you don't rotate raid content or tweak gameplay to allow for the loot to be more evenly distributed and/or make raid content appear more frequently.

An emulator is able to spend development time for free on all of the above, and thus would be the better option in every case for the ruleset you're describing.

Unrelated sort of, but I'm interested to see how Warmane (the WOTLK emulator) handles Blizzard's WOTLK Classic coming out soon... they see 30-40k online, and have the dungeon finder, whereas Blizzard's version does not which may appeal to some people. Warmane also has QOL that Blizzard will not. Warmane has a lot less lawsuits and sexual abuse allegations than Blizzard, but is run by shady individuals. It'll be interesting to see if people stick on Warmane over Blizzard's version.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
There are however lots of people that buy krono "aftermarket". I know I definitely feel a little bit like a sucker paying 14.99 for my sub when I could buy a krono from one of the resident lords and save myself $5-$7 a month. Not to mention if I actually wanted to twink a toon and sell my own krono (in game for platinum as they are intended) I'd be paying almost double to DPG vs. ectunnel.
DBG probably prefers you buy Krono too, they make 20% more on that deal. since whoever bought that krono paid 18

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Sold over 130 krono to a krono lord on ectunnel website for a negotiated discount. If you have a ton of krono you want to get rid of and dont mind sacrificing a bit of money, that might be a solution if theyre open to it. Only thing I kick myself for is not stripping my character when I knew I was done for a while. Could have sold that stuff in SOV, come back later and buy gear thats more powerful that cost less than what I sold it for. Never mind that coming back to mischief just makes me gag a bit about how much I would have to play just to catch up as a Warrior.

I've just always been curious how much Krono is actually just recycled krono, or "Old money" so to speak.