EQ TLP - Vaniki (Level-Locked Progression)

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
If you want things to be harder simply because of level differences, returning to the 2000 xp tables, with Hell Levels fully implemented would do more than simply locking everyone to level 45 for a day.
Not sure how, since the optimal gameplay loop would be to curbstomp mobs that are relatively easy. It'd just take longer.

A successful level-locked server would have the hardcores progressing through increasingly difficult content as they gear up and get new levels at regular intervals. 1 per day is too fast for most, something like 5 levels per week until 25 and then 5 levels every two weeks until 50ish makes more sense to me, but the premise is the same whether it's balanced for poopsockers or casuals.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Not sure how, since the optimal gameplay loop would be to curbstomp mobs that are relatively easy. It'd just take longer.
It DID take longer. Which is why the high end guilds didn't wait until max level to start clearing raid content. Which is what you are looking for.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
All this slowing down of leveling talk is stupid mental gymnastics when the original xp tables would completely solve the issue on their own. Of course those tables have been so completely overhauled since 2000 I doubt anyone actually remembers what those numbers should look like.

I dunno about all that, I'm just thinking of "fun event server" ideas. Gaining one level every day (or more accurately, gaining 0.01%, then capping the following level) would be a fun endeavor that I could keep up with.

Having the exp rates at 2000 levels would mean it'd take all day to get that one level which isn't fun. I'm thinking log on for an hour or two, get your level, see what you can do with that level. A swarm of level 4's taking down Emperor Crush, stuff like that.

Maybe you don't log on for a few days and come back on the weekend with four levels to get.

It'd be interesting, that's all.

gnaaaa sorry my power / net was out all night. A slight gust of wind and bit of mist is about all it takes here.

So the healing Veil, the hope diamond... Some people get lucky but the one time I did it it took many many many hours to find one. Then the very next mob had another, so maybe it was just bad luck.

Had similar problems with the forlorn totem for the extended range thing. Who the hell is Rolfron Zek anyway? Sounds like Vallon's redneck cousin.

I don't think I ever completed the burning affliction cloak. Maybe there's a trick to spawning spinflint?

Damn, sounds like these quests are quite the farm. At least it's something to do, though! I'm gonna try to do some of them for my SK/shaman duo. Only need one healing veil for that setup at least. Also gotta get the Circlet of Shadow and (groan) FBSS. This should all keep me busy until the 50 cap raise.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It DID take longer. Which is why the high end guilds didn't wait until max level to start clearing raid content. Which is what you are looking for.
If you made leveling really slow (even like, 10x slower), a motivated playerbase playing optimally would still spend nearly all their time doing easy content. There'd be raids at every level increase + content release that would have sub-max levels, but those would be exceptions and still probably be generally trivial if the level increases matched the expansion.

Personally, I'm tired of leveling in EQ. An ideal level-locked server for me would include everyone being given a max-level character for the server and max AA's everytime the level increase happened, making the entire experience a quest to get gear. A level-locked server would feature ridiculously overgeared players, making the leveling experience trivial anyway.

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
I'd personally like them to do a true progression server next year. The next expansion unlocks immediately upon the completing of the current expansion. Kind of a call back to their original progression server way back when, although I believe that one did have a delay between expansions after beating one. This one would just immediately unlock. It would be interesting to see how quickly it would catch up to live.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
The Luclin twilight sea quests are also fun / torture. The gear is probably the worst reward to effort in the entire game, but the wizard robe is pretty.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I'd personally like them to do a true progression server next year. The next expansion unlocks immediately upon the completing of the current expansion. Kind of a call back to their original progression server way back when, although I believe that one did have a delay between expansions after beating one. This one would just immediately unlock. It would be interesting to see how quickly it would catch up to live.

Oh yeah, I like that idea, I'd be 100% in for that kind of server. The only question would be when the top guild gets any sleep.

I'm thinking the first real gearing roadblock will be Tacvi. You'll have people living in Qvic for a bit and raiding Time on lockout. Could see our high end raiders burning through everything up to GoD very quickly.

Another roadblock where things will likely slow down a lot would be Underfoot. If the server gets over that hump, it's generally smooth-sailing right up to Burning Lands at 110. That one has an extremely challenging final boss, and with gearing requirements at that point, the server will likely become more like a regular live server with a couple months between expacs around then.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Charm a miner, send it to attack something. It falls all the way to the bottom and aggros everything :emoji_laughing:
EQ001026.jpg

I'm so glad they aren't being fun police with charm. I'm having all kinds of fun. I should have bought the no level loss perk though.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Oh yeah, I like that idea, I'd be 100% in for that kind of server. The only question would be when the top guild gets any sleep.

I'm thinking the first real gearing roadblock will be Tacvi. You'll have people living in Qvic for a bit and raiding Time on lockout. Could see our high end raiders burning through everything up to GoD very quickly.

Another roadblock where things will likely slow down a lot would be Underfoot. If the server gets over that hump, it's generally smooth-sailing right up to Burning Lands at 110. That one has an extremely challenging final boss, and with gearing requirements at that point, the server will likely become more like a regular live server with a couple months between expacs around then.
Would have to be a substantial reward for poopsocking on that server to attract people to do it. Like you said it'd start feel like a live server pretty quickly. Adding challenge rewards would be hard because if you're not in the crew unlocking the expansions you can easily outlevel everything.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Charm a miner, send it to attack something. It falls all the way to the bottom and aggros everything :emoji_laughing:
View attachment 415094

I'm so glad they aren't being fun police with charm. I'm having all kinds of fun. I should have bought the no level loss perk though.

I definitely recommend the no level loss perk, it's more than worth the $3 to be able to just mess around without worry.

One thing to be wary of with perks though: I went and got full perks towards the end of my subbed month (using kronos) and I only got 3 days of perks (for the full price AFAIK). Went and used a krono to add a month, still showing 3 days of perks.

Not sure if this will "roll over" once my membership moves into the next cycle or if it really did only give me 3 days of perks for full price. If so, be sure to get perks at the beginning of the billing cycle.

TBH it seems like BS, like "that can't be right" so we'll see in another day or so.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
It should prorate based on your existing time. Did you look at the actual bill?

Kind of sucks because I used yearly subs and I had to commit to like 10 months of perks when they came out.

• 1Like

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm

All your idea does is mean more time is spent leveling and more disparity between people. It's also the exact opposite of what tlp history has shown, where the fastest xp or unlock servers have seen the most low manning and undergeared attempts (eg selo and combine) and the servers with the slowest xp rates and/or longest unlocks were the most zergy. Roi on combine got accused of zerg tactics for stuff that wouldn't raise an eyebrow on any modern tlp. Selo simply wouldn't have been the same if it was luclin start but with original phinny or even worse original eq exp rates.

Basically tldr your idea is neither fun nor would it do anything but the opposite of what you seem to suggest it would.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
It should prorate based on your existing time. Did you look at the actual bill?

Kind of sucks because I used yearly subs and I had to commit to like 10 months of perks when they came out.

Oh, that makes sense. I didn't look at the actual charge, bet it's like 10% of the normal amount. I just have to remember to re-up it after the krono kicks in.

• 1Like

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider
Wondering some advice from you all. I played on Aradune for a monthish until I couldn’t handle the 5 hour waits to get in and only crash.

I haven’t played EQ really since Luclin and my wife never really played except with me on Aradune.

Was wondering what is the consensus on Yelinak vs Mischief for veteran MMO players is but newish to EQ? Is Yelinak gonna be done in 3-5 months time and go ghost? Mischief seems pretty healthy but ahead of what I know about EQ.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Wondering some advice from you all. I played on Aradune for a monthish until I couldn’t handle the 5 hour waits to get in and only crash.

I haven’t played EQ really since Luclin and my wife never really played except with me on Aradune.

Was wondering what is the consensus on Yelinak vs Mischief for veteran MMO players is but newish to EQ? Is Yelinak gonna be done in 3-5 months time and go ghost? Mischief seems pretty healthy but ahead of what I know about EQ.
Mischief is really great for catching up if you take breaks. It's lower population than Yelinak, but I'm guessing it will retain a somewhat better population in the longer term (of course, always dependent on what rulesets on future TLPs look like).

Yelinak seems to have a strong population and probably will be until PoP-GoD/next TLP. It will still continue on well enough but there will be more raid logging and less flexibility.

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I know its a little late, mischief loading has been terrible tonight.

11:20PM EST
  • Yelinak 2462
  • Mischief 2334
  • Vaniki 568
  • Thornblade 458

• 1Like

Needless

Toe Sucker
I know its a little late, mischief loading has been terrible tonight.

11:20PM EST
  • Yelinak 2462
  • Mischief 2334
  • Vaniki 568
  • Thornblade 458
Yeah the bazaar load times on mischief are awful tonight, i haven't left it to see how bad everything else must be currently

Glad i bought 2 kronos on vaniki for cheap just from grinding 30-40 before it collapses soon already kek

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Is there a set time they are expecting to merge thornblade and mischief? Mischief seems pretty healthy still but it probably sucks for thornblade having so few.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Is there a set time they are expecting to merge thornblade and mischief? Mischief seems pretty healthy still but it probably sucks for thornblade having so few.
If not June/July then next year in June/July