EQ TLP - Vaniki (Level-Locked Progression)

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The TLP code has things set to unlock on expansion release or amount of days a TLP/expansion has been out.

True. How all those things interact on a server where several expansions unlock at once with an additional modifier on top that changes zoning level requirements is clear as mud.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Man, the 70 era content being a drag even on vaniki is kinda lulzy.
Yeah it's hard to split which is the most responsible for the server pop atm. The content being quasi post oow, the banwave, the lack of reasonable achievements or the 3 month level range.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My idea from years ago wasn't for what vaniki ended up being. It was to have the server be normal tlp like, but release in levels sets like vaniki does, and simply wait a couple weeks to then increase the caps, and do that maybe a level a week. My few contacts got kinda burned at the "worse than selo" raid pace and then the zero point to much group content spread. Imo next vaniki type go of it (hopefully I personally have more time next one) they ditch a lot of the weird stuff like massive level gaps compensated with strange resistance nonsense in favor of just normal but lower level gameplay. And zero req/rec.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
My idea from years ago wasn't for what vaniki ended up being. It was to have the server be normal tlp like, but release in levels sets like vaniki does, and simply wait a couple weeks to then increase the caps, and do that maybe a level a week. My few contacts got kinda burned at the "worse than selo" raid pace and then the zero point to much group content spread. Imo next vaniki type go of it (hopefully I personally have more time next one) they ditch a lot of the weird stuff like massive level gaps compensated with strange resistance nonsense in favor of just normal but lower level gameplay. And zero req/rec.
Yeah. Throwing a rule like "stagger the level increase a couple weeks after a level increase expansion" would add a bit of spice to a future TLP. Such that for the first two weeks of a Kunark unlock everyone is level 50. Or something.

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They needed something different. This is the by product. It was probably given a week's worth of time.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
1661297842041.png

Any suggestions on how TF to finish Beware the Hive at 60? Even with harmshield and advanced FD, the mix of live/undead mobs and the complete overload of casters makes success very unlikely. Gave it a few tries. Surprised I got all the other updates.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The just plain not knowing how things are going to work was/is such a fucking albatross around the neck of the entire server. Everyone's heard about Bind Rush putting in a huge amount of effort doing Luclin shards and Emp keys only to have all of Luclin unlock for free.

Bind Rush farming out all of the Luclin content at 40 and then discovering it was pointless at 55 when everything unlocked for free...was probably the biggest thing that made people just straight-up not want to bother with the server more. The rules and unlocks and everything else were pretty un-clear from the get go. We basically wasted a bunch of time on it. After that our need to go hard certainly died down a lot.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Bind Rush farming out all of the Luclin content at 40 and then discovering it was pointless at 55 when everything unlocked for free...was probably the biggest thing that made people just straight-up not want to bother with the server more. The rules and unlocks and everything else were pretty un-clear from the get go. We basically wasted a bunch of time on it. After that our need to go hard certainly died down a lot.

Are you going to have something like that sneak up on you in the future and bite you in the ass? Don't know! Actually zero people thought the level 60 drop only Luclin spells wouldn't all be on the merchants in PoK with the 60 unlock. That one was at least fairly small. When does all of Gates of Discord unlock? Thirty days after the 60 unlock or thirty days after the 65 unlock? Immediately at the 65 unlock? Don't know!

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
View attachment 429516
Any suggestions on how TF to finish Beware the Hive at 60? Even with harmshield and advanced FD, the mix of live/undead mobs and the complete overload of casters makes success very unlikely. Gave it a few tries. Surprised I got all the other updates.

Can you zerg it with friends pulling the mobs ahead of you? Like a New World chest run? Get the whole guild to go!

• 1Worf

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
View attachment 429516

Throw a Shiny Brass Idol on top? You could also start with a Bestow Divine Aura from a Cleric. That would give you three DAs with one an instant click to get where you need to go. A Bard could also give you a tick of big Selos and then DA song.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xeris

Trakanon Raider
Can someone explain to me why this lvl 70 content is such a drag? Vaniki is the first time I've done any post Agnarr content. I think the oow/don/por stuff is pretty cool so far.

There's meaningful gear you can get as a non raider. If you're casual and just playing group game with friends there's actually quite a bit for you do to. Farming gear in arcstone, doing some of these quests... DoN progression is pretty similar to ldon, loot is nice.

There's good raid content at multiple levels. It feels like there's quite a bit to do. Why do people say it's so boring, am I missing something here?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Had a visitor:

1661323998081.png

Niente was giving out otter illusions all over the place.

1661324061726.png

Here's this insane Scorpiks illusion I don't think I've seen before.

1661324119195.png

Unfortunately I was eventually felled by SADS.

This hurt more than any death on the server because I lost my permanent beaver illusion.

• 1Pathetic
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
It's normal 4 times as long.

On a normal TLP once you finish up doing OoW epics/aug farming you get about 2 months of raiding CoA then 2 months of raiding CoA+Vish which takes a few hours as your only endgame relevant content.

On a normal TLP pretty much any item not from Vish is irrelevant in DoN. So effectively the expansion is running trivial light blue group content+ trivial 2 group raids to get the faction rewards. Then Vish once a week. It gets old quick.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
And no AA in DoN or PoR gives you even less reason to log on. PoR gear difference to DoDh is not much, so there's not really a huge difference in your character at the end, especially when you know that TSS is going to blow all of it out of the water.

On the one hand, for a serious raider, you can easily go hard for a few days or a week and then raid log most of the expansions, so it's not time consuming or anything, but it becomes so boring and easy it makes you wonder why you're even spending that small amount of time on it. If you were there from the start, it can sort of feel like a job.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Can someone explain to me why this lvl 70 content is such a drag? Vaniki is the first time I've done any post Agnarr content. I think the oow/don/por stuff is pretty cool so far.

There's meaningful gear you can get as a non raider. If you're casual and just playing group game with friends there's actually quite a bit for you do to. Farming gear in arcstone, doing some of these quests... DoN progression is pretty similar to ldon, loot is nice.

There's good raid content at multiple levels. It feels like there's quite a bit to do. Why do people say it's so boring, am I missing something here?
It lasts for 9 months on TLPs now. It used to last for 12 months.

Also PoR raids are mostly not fun on top of all that.

Xeris

Trakanon Raider
Hmm, not sure we've done PoR raids yet, or maybe we did 2 dragons.. Rikkuken and something else? I don't know if that's POR or DON. Maybe the reason I'm having fun is because of the challenge of doing this stuff at 60 when the mobs are lvl 70+. I guess some of this group stuff wouldn't be as fun if I was lvl 70?

Swarws

Silver Squire
<Rusty Willsapper> still rolling along! Super fun server, tons of group content to do and challenging raids.

Currently looking for active and high playtime folks who want to experience EQ in a new way. Looking for a warrior, druid, cleric, and a wizard.

Message Swarws, Gooplink, or Kraidem in game.

Few notables:

- Quarm dead, multiple times.
- 3/6 MPG raid trials completed. Signets just about completed. Looking to push Anguish soon.
- Several random bosses around DON, PoR downed and collecting ferocity 5 and 6 items and 300+ HP/Mana gear.
- Just about done with all 1.5 epics for the guild - starting to push to 2.0 fights.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
<Rusty Willsapper> still rolling along! Super fun server, tons of group content to do and challenging raids.

Currently looking for active and high playtime folks who want to experience EQ in a new way. Looking for a warrior, druid, cleric, and a wizard.

Message Swarws, Gooplink, or Kraidem in game.

Few notables:

- Quarm dead, multiple times.
- 3/6 MPG raid trials completed. Signets just about completed. Looking to push Anguish soon.
- Several random bosses around DON, PoR downed and collecting ferocity 5 and 6 items and 300+ HP/Mana gear.
- Just about done with all 1.5 epics for the guild - starting to push to 2.0 fights.

That's the big guild right? How do you guys feel about your chances to take down at least one of the level sixty achievements before the timer runs out?

Swarws

Silver Squire
We are very confident on riffseekers achieve. Will most likely try that sometime next week. The others are much harder, but we will do our best to give them a solid attempt.

The fun of the server is less about the achievements and more about the challenge.

• 1Like