EQ TLP - Yelinak (True-Box Timelocked Progression)

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Im betting a lot of people who got banned but never used anything probably account shared with someone who has.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cupcaek

Molten Core Raider
Have any of your accounts *ever* used macroquest?
OFC, used it back on agnarr alot and think i booted up mqnext on aradune when that came out. All different accounts then the one that got suspended though, if they IP trace off of stuff from years ago...sure i guess.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I took a suspension in the ban wave for "3rd party software" listed as their reason. Only 3rd party stuff I have for EQ is eq log parser, myseq, and gina. I mean I had already quit vaniki at that point so it doesnt matter really. Thought its stupid what they are doing.
I dont multibox or anything, so it clearly wasnt that. They just suspend arbitrarily
Out of all of those listed programs, myseq is technically a cheating tool because it shows you where every mob and character is in the zone at all times. I would assume that myseq is the reason you got suspended.

Now that being said, I have never used any cheating software for EverQuest *except* myseq on one TLP server years ago, and the reason I did it was because the guild I was in REQUIRED all monks to do it. I did not like it. I did not want to do it. Peer pressure is a bitch. Since that TLP server, I have never used it again.

That being said, I have never been banned, and I was only suspended for 1 day on the Aradune server because a GM's friend got mad at the group I was "STANDING BY". Go back in this thread, and you can read my write up on what happened. It was an unjust suspension, and it was lifted the very next day.

Point is, I have never been suspended or banned for using 3rd party softare, and IF I get suspended or banned in the future at any point, it will absolutely be because of using myseq on a TLP server many years ago. That would be an indication that they flag accounts, and suspend/ban them years later. Until that happens, I'm going to assume that they don't do that.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
There's no way it could be the MySEQ...
EQ would be improved dramatically if they announced they were acting against MySEQ users, handed out 7 day suspensions for anyone flagged for MySEQ use and then kept rolling out suspension escalation for its usage. Instead we get one guy who got suspended maybe for MySEQ, but probably for using MQ on Aradune years ago.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Does the fake Rajaah on Yelinak even play? Every time I pop on there they aren't on. Yoinked the name in the first hour of server-up and then vanished. If it were a regular player who just happened to pick the name that'd be fine but it looks like someone jacked it just to keep me out of it which is some weird shit.

The magic of everquest

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
EQ would be improved dramatically if they announced they were acting against MySEQ users, handed out 7 day suspensions for anyone flagged for MySEQ use and then kept rolling out suspension escalation for its usage. Instead we get one guy who got suspended maybe for MySEQ, but probably for using MQ on Aradune years ago.
Oh My God Reaction GIF by Jimmy Conrad

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I don't have a black and white view of things. I'm on the side of don't be a dick and use your best judgment when it comes to using 3rd party programs. You can be banned for any reason, not just programs. I'll be honest, I don't think that even if you guys had a list of programs you'd be happy though, there'd still be some other issue to screech about.

Season 1 What GIF by BET Plus

I mean, you're just screeching in return if that's how you're going to characterize it. You'll never be happy until every boxer and log parser user is banned for life and then you'll just find something else to screech about.

In any case, I've never been suspended for any software usage. Never even used software KVM or MQ. I just know how this company has been run, at least from a player's perspective, for the last 5-6 years and the cowboy capriciousness of it still irritates me. It's not just about bans but how the whole company operates.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I took a suspension in the ban wave for "3rd party software" listed as their reason. Only 3rd party stuff I have for EQ is eq log parser, myseq, and gina. I mean I had already quit vaniki at that point so it doesnt matter really. Thought its stupid what they are doing.
I dont multibox or anything, so it clearly wasnt that. They just suspend arbitrarily

I got arrested in the sting for "being a total fuckin fgt" listed as their reason. Only stuff I do is jay-walking, murder, and rolling stops at 4-ways. I mean I had already moved out of state at that point so it doesnt matter really. Thought its stupid what they are doing.
I dont gangbang or anything, so it clearly wasnt that. They just arrest arbitrarily

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I mean, you're just screeching in return if that's how you're going to characterize it. You'll never be happy until every boxer and log parser user is banned for life and then you'll just find something else to screech about.

In any case, I've never been suspended for any software usage. Never even used software KVM or MQ. I just know how this company has been run, at least from a player's perspective, for the last 5-6 years and the cowboy capriciousness of it still irritates me. It's not just about bans but how the whole company operates.
I never mentioned a single time, ever, what would make me happy lol. I'm also not the log parser guy, that's someone else.

I was also speaking to the colloquial you and not directly to you with the latter half of my response. I mean, c'mon there are dudes going full on Karen about this, condoning massive shit posting on DBG forums, accusing anyone of saying "hey maybe it's not that bad..." as simping DPG and generally just going full on Mel Gibson about the whole fucking thing. The only examples of bans we have are admitted myseq and MQ users and we're still pretending like we can't reason about the programs they ban for? lol, shit is just ridiculous.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I never mentioned a single time, ever, what would make me happy lol. I'm also not the log parser guy, that's someone else.

I was also speaking to the colloquial you and not directly to you with the latter half of my response. I mean, c'mon there are dudes going full on Karen about this, condoning massive shit posting on DBG forums, accusing anyone of saying "hey maybe it's not that bad..." as simping DPG and generally just going full on Mel Gibson about the whole fucking thing. The only examples of bans we have are admitted myseq and MQ users and we're still pretending like we can't reason about the programs they ban for? lol, shit is just ridiculous.

Just not really the direction the current playerbase wants the game to go.

The current players LIKE using seq, they LIKE boxing, they actually hate truebox.

Thats why you're seeing the reaction you're seeing.

The fact remains, plenty of people that use seq (verified) werent banned, plenty of OBVIOUS boxers and MQ(verified) users weren't banned. So really, what was accomplished?

Unequal punishments never feels good. If you're gonna go scorched earth, dont pick and choose.

If you managed to make the TLP's clean again, you might actually have some people enticed by the direction they want to go. I think we could all appreciate a server with no SEQ/MQ/mass boxers but as it stands, thats not what is happening.

All they managed to do was kick a few people in the nuts and because of the drama/butthurt by those few, it started to infect others and you have a net negative player count. Nobody is saying right now "Oh shit, they are cracking down on cheaters, maybe it's time to sub and roll up a character after all these years!"

So congrats I guess, you got to laugh and throw tomatoes at a few "cheaters" when you damn well know the majority of players on the TLPs have been and still run showeq 24/7.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler

There are people claiming to only have used multiplicity or similar. Again, banned people are about as trustworthy as a bag of shit, but in previous ban waves I never heard nearly as much mention of software KVM. Maybe it's because the past cheaters downgraded from mq to multiplicity or something.

As Zog mentioned, it still seems very scattershot and unclear. That's a lot of the real problem here, lack of consistency and clarity. Every server I've ever played on there's been super obvious botters and broadcasting boxers who somehow still remained on the server almost the entire time.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Everyone banned for 3rd party software was/has used myseq or MQ. The only people who truly have not used one of those two programs bought their character off someone who did. We all know this through powers of logic and reasoning. We don't have to pretend fellas.

• 1Worf

Cupcaek

Molten Core Raider
Actually it wouldnt be for MQ because they give out Cheating as the reason when you are busted for MQ or EQBOT or whatever. Mine was just 3rd party software lol
But them banning for showeq now after 20 years is pretty silly.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Actually it wouldnt be for MQ because they give out Cheating as the reason when you are busted for MQ or EQBOT or whatever. Mine was just 3rd party software lol

I mean SEQ is cheating. Lets be honest. Doesn't matter how long, its pretty obvious.

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
Just not really the direction the current playerbase wants the game to go.

The current players LIKE using seq, they LIKE boxing, they actually hate truebox.

Thats why you're seeing the reaction you're seeing.

Nah the current TLP playerbase is 90% 30 and 40 something dad gamers that never post on the forums/discord and play the game sub 5-10 hours a week. Hate SEQ, Hate boxing and wish truebox was more strictly enforced.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It's silly that it went this wrong, but the game would improve if they started comprehensively going after it. Or they'd spend a ton of effort in an arms race that ended with a bunch of people improving their networking and linux skills. Win/win I guess

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
It's silly that it went this wrong, but the game would improve if they started comprehensively going after it. Or they'd spend a ton of effort in an arms race that ended with a bunch of people improving their networking and linux skills. Win/win I guess
I personally believe it is impossible for them to hack proof this game. I think they would have to end up scrapping the server and client, and starting over. Even then, people will find ways to hack it. Nothing is truly hack proof.

The real answer to the issue is to have active GMs on every server that actually look for cheating and react to it in real time. And, by cheating, I mean using BoTs and automated game play. It's not that damned hard to realize that no human can play the game 24 hours a day 365 days a year killing ice giants. Why there isn't a GM there daily to kill the bot off is beyond me.

As for myseq and key broadcasting, they need to just throw that effort away because it does little to help the community, and there will always be someone that finds a way to do either of them. If you make it against the rules and enforce it, you end up just giving the majority of your customers a disadvantage to those who get away with it.

As for truebox, fuck truebox. It's the single worst decision ever made for the game. All it ever did was make it so that those who knew how to avoid it had a massive advantage over everybody else. It did dick all to stopping people from multiboxing on one computer. It just kept honest people honest.

If it was me running things over there, I could easily figure out when there's a plat dupe, who is botting, etc. As a professional programmer and database developer, I can assure you this shit is not that hard to figure out. The fact that they haven't figured it out in over two decades is proof enough that they don't want to figure it out. Some individuals in key positions are making a lot of side money, and they obviously tell the upper brass it can't be done.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Like anything, enforcement hits the casual users more than people who have the basic means to work around it.

- Enchanter stun nerf? Great just bring more enchanters oog.
- Ban MySEQ? Buy a $30 switch with port mirroring and run showeq on a separate box.
- Ban software KVM? Buy a hardware key multicaster / usb keypads.

Enforcement usually leads to an arms race, which DBG hasn't shown any interest in fighting prior to now.

As for Truebox, the 'one account per pc' does have a hardware limitation for most users. Most people can field 2-3 junker machines and desk space, but 6? 12? 54? Problem is, those '90% boomer silent majority' types are the ones who leveled to mid 40s, saw two necros controlling the GEB camp and logged out. Anyone who can't "Truebox" a team of necros might actually be dead irl, so who are they really stopping?

MMOs are rife with this kind of player. The "I would've been the best except" guys. These are the type of players who decided that the only reason they weren't the top dog on the server is because they are virtuous and don't cheat or are unwilling to poopsock, not that they are shit at the game. They think the reason they don't get a group is because everyone is boxing, not because nobody likes them or that they are antisocial weirdos who can't make friends in game (or more likely they started late and everyone is just buying an AE boost in the level range they want to play). Every MMO has them, and TLPs are their chance to come back and actually play in the top level, but only if they give up that bullshit. Nothing is sadder than some dope who comes back to a 20 year old MMO tlp just to be a fucking subpar scrub AGAIN.

Korzax Stonehammer

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think the use of MQ increased after it went open source. And this is a reaction to that increase. Getting banned can lead to either repeating the offense or, as they hope, stopping that person from cheating again.

Last edited: