EQ2 TLE - Varsoon server

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
EverQuest II is going to be releasing a new TLE server sometime in May which will be called Varsoon.

That's all I know right now about it. Will update when more details are revealed.

** Update 04/06/2022 **
  • Release date for the server is May 24th
  • Ruleset will be identical to the Kaladim TLE server except it will also have Free Trade loot rules

** Update 05/04/2022 **
Varsoon will be going live on May 24, 2022 and, as promised, here are all the details you've been craving to know more about and an FAQ.

What's Happening on Varsoon?

Varsoon is a Time-Locked Expansion (TLE) server where expansions unlock automatically. This server will be very similar to the Kaladim TLE except that Varsoon will also be a Free-Trade server. Which means items that are normally heirloom, will be able to be traded with other players.

Content Unlocks Every 16 Weeks

Expansions will unlock approximately every 16 weeks, except for Desert of Flames, which will be 12 weeks. That means you'll experience 16 weeks of classic EverQuest II, 12 weeks of Desert of Flames, 16 weeks of Kingdom of Sky, and so on. Any content that was released in between expansions, including GU and Adventure Pack content, will be released 8 weeks after its corresponding expansion has been released. For example, 8 weeks after Kingdom of Sky is released, you’ll have access to Fallen Dynasty. Desert of Flames will receive Hunter’s Quests and items approximately 6 weeks after release.

Itemization

Items have been adjusted down to better fit the server's progression. Reuse and Casting Speed are being reduced on items through the progression. Ability Mod has been increased in many places.

Return of the Hoods

The hoods and villages will be open for Varsoon, like Big Bend, Longshadow Alley, the Baubleshire and Nettleville. Quest content in these villages will remain changed, but the hoods themselves will be there to access and reminisce.

Familiars

Familiars have also been deemed "out of progression," and will not drop on Varsoon. They will not be available for purchase on the server.

All Access Membership Required

Like other progression and special ruleset servers, you’ll need an All Access Membership to access Varsoon. All Access also includes other great benefits, like 10% off most Marketplace purchases, and a claimable 500 DBC grant each month! You can learn more about membership here.

F.A.Q.
Q: What is a Time Locked Expansion server?

A: A TLE server has a special ruleset that allows players to revisit exciting adventures from previous eras of EverQuest II, starting with original launch content. Every 12 to 16 weeks, content from the next expansion will unlock allowing progression through much of the original game content over time.

Q: Who can play on a TLE server?
A: All Access Membership is required to create characters and play on the Varsoon server.

Q: When will new content be unlocked on the server?
A: Every approximately 16 weeks, a new expansion and its associated content will unlock on the server. Adventure packs such as the Fallen Dynasty will be released 8 weeks into the applicable expansion. Hunter’s Coins and items will be included for all content packs and will also be mid-progression content. Desert of Flames will be 12 weeks and 6 weeks for similar unlocks.

Q: What Races and Classes will be available at launch?
A: All races will be available on Varsoon at launch!
The Channeler and Beastlord classes will not be available for play on Varsoon. These classes have been deemed "Out of Progression" for the beginning of the server and will be made available at their original expansion releases. Recipe scrolls, spell drops for these classes have not been removed due to them being contained in "global" systems.

Q: Can I transfer my character to Varsoon?
A: No transfers will be available to or from Varsoon.

Q: What Starting Areas will be available?
A: The starting areas will be Outpost of the Overlord and Queen’s Colony on the original Isle of Refuge. Darklight Wood and Frostfang Sea are available via the travel bells but not as places where you can start a new character. Timorous Deep and Greater Faydark will not be available until those expansions are released.

Q: Will experience values be tuned for Varsoon?
A: Experience and tradeskill experience values will match live servers.

Q: Will Spell Research be available on Varsoon?
A: With the launch of Varsoon, spell research will be made available. However, spell research will be capped at Master.

Q: What will be available for purchase in the Marketplace?
A: The majority of the Marketplace will be available at launch, except for a few items that will be locked behind future expansions.

Q: Will Guildhalls be available?
A: Guildhalls will not be made available at launch but will be made available with Rise of Kunark.

Q: Will we be able to leap or fly on Varsoon?
A: Leaping and flying will be restricted to their content expansions. Leaping will appear during Rise of Kunark, and flying will appear during Destiny of Velious.

Q: Can I use my /claim items?
A: Claim items will be restricted based on expansion, and, in some cases, may never be made available to preserve the progression of the server.

Q: What will be available for Tradeskills?
A: Crafted gear has had its progression re-balanced in past and will remain in its current progression.

Q: Can I use a Mercenary?
A: The Mercenary feature will not be available.

Q: Will Familiars be available on Varsoon?
A: Familiars have been deemed "Out of Progression" for Varsoon and will not be available.

Q: Will we be able to /house to travel on Varsoon?
A: Using /house has been restricted to be within the accessor for housing and will no longer be available from anywhere.

Q: Will there only be ground mounts and will they have reduced ground speed?
A: The highest mount speed on these servers is set at 29% at server launch and increases with each expansion.

Q: Will veteran rewards be available on Varsoon?
A: Veteran Rewards, Veteran experience bonuses, and the Recruit-a-Friend program will not be available on Varsoon.

Q: Will the Loyalty System be available on Varsoon?
A: Loyalty System and daily quests will not be available on Varsoon.

Q: Will Legendary, Fabled and Mythical crits be available on Varsoon?
A: Legendary, Fabled and Mythical crits will not be available on Varsoon.

Q: Will dungeon finder be available on Varsoon?
A: No dungeon finder will be available on Varsoon.

Q: Will Level Agnostic Dungeons be available on Varsoon?
A: Level Agnostic Dungeons will not be available on Varsoon.

Q: Will Reforging and tradeskill apprentices be available on Varsoon?
A: Reforging and tradeskill apprentices will not be available on Varsoon.

Q: Will dropped coin be restricted on Varsoon?
A: Dropped coin has been returned to launch levels of coin gain.

Q: Will there be a queuing system at the launch of Varsoon?
A: An existing queue system for logging in will be in place on May 24th.

Q: Will the heritage merchant and items be available on Varsoon?
A: The Heritage Merchant and its items will not be available on Varsoon.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
A group of friends and I are going to be playing on this new TLE server. All of us have played on numerous EQ1 TLP servers, and we all decided that it was time to give EQ2 TLE a shot. Some of us have EQ2 experience (from long ago), while others have never played anything other than EQ1.

Is anybody else thinking about giving it a go?

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
After playing the first two EQ2 TLEs, I am not coming back unless they:

1, Remove exp potion
2, Fix/Improve endgame itemization

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
They basiclly get rid of the leveling experience (start from max level) in the latest TLE, no surprise it failed

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They basiclly get rid of the leveling experience (start from max level) in the latest TLE, no surprise it failed
Not at all. It sounded terrible. And the pvp one before that failed pretty fast as well. Ive been wanting to do a traditional TLP for EQ2 but they keep doing stupid rulesets.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
So Im assuming their new TLE server that launched a week ago bombed hard?
That server they released was not a TLE. It is what they are calling a Lore and Legend server. Somebody thought it would be smart to make a server where there are no levels. I have no interest in that kind of a server.

What is different, if anything, from a TLP to TLE Server; Seems like the same thing
TLE in EQ2 is basically the same thing as TLP in EQ1. No idea why they chose to TLE over TLP.

Not at all. It sounded terrible. And the pvp one before that failed pretty fast as well. Ive been wanting to do a traditional TLP for EQ2 but they keep doing stupid rulesets.
The Varsoon TLE server is supposed to be a normal TLE server except it will have Free Trade.

After playing the first two EQ2 TLEs, I am not coming back unless they:

1, Remove exp potion
2, Fix/Improve endgame itemization
From what I read on their forums, apparently they did a lot of itemization fixes on their last TLE server. Hopefully that will make its way to the new one.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
A group of friends and I are going to be playing on this new TLE server. All of us have played on numerous EQ1 TLP servers, and we all decided that it was time to give EQ2 TLE a shot. Some of us have EQ2 experience (from long ago), while others have never played anything other than EQ1.

Is anybody else thinking about giving it a go?
Super tempting as EQ2 was my first MMO and I have so many fond memories, Played up until SOF.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
The last TLE from a few weeks ago was a disaster, but it wasn't a real classic server. There really isn't a market for an MMO experience where you start at max level / AA, and have 0 advancement. Not to mention the buggy itemization (and once again pets and mentoring don't mix well here).

(Disclaimer: I noped out after 2 minutes, going off the forums here)

Now an actual classic leveling server with free trade and healthy pop on a fresh server is much better. The raids are pretty fun. The downside is you get to do the really awful quests again as they unlock (Speak like a Dragon, the god awful Peacocok one lol)

If you have free time though, it is a social game :p

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
IMO, Quests in EQ2 are great, even the long one requires lots of time. The only down side if you play TLEs is you are doing it all over again and again and again.

What I really don't like about TLE is the fact if you want to raid asap, you have to buy exp potions that cost like $100 from 1-50 (if I remember correctly)

Last edited:

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Is speak like a dragon where you have to go back and forth down that hellaciously long staircase to… Nagafen? I only played for a bit on release but I have a vague memory of that.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Is speak like a dragon where you have to go back and forth down that hellaciously long staircase to… Nagafen? I only played for a bit on release but I have a vague memory of that.

Lol ya bro, its very different than VG or RIFT if you don't like questing. There are even longer quest lines in later expansion.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Yes, and collect like 50 dragon runes or something all across the game world in obscure locations.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
I've done Stormhold and Kaladim.

Here's my advice:
- If you want to Krono farm, play a necromancer. Remember - this is a free trade server, so you'll be able to trade any item for Krono. By far, the most broken class in classic up until EoF for soloing content and selling rewards. You can just farm instances, or special open world contested NPCs where you are gated by the people that are present in the zone.
Depending on the NPCs you kill, some items can sell for up to 3kr. There's a few hidden proc items. You can see their exact chance on Fanbyte EverQuest II :: An EQ2 (EQII) Community, Wiki, and Database Site as they were provided a full copy of the games' database including treasure trails from 2009 (if you have a contact that can leak the raw data they got, PLEASE let me know lmao)

- If beastlords are in on launch, just play them. Their dps is stupidly powerful and will be overtuned like it always is.
The playerbase may clamor for them to be in on launch and you might see the devs cave to get a few people to play.

- Raiding is pointless outside of getting your prismatic done or getting optional fabled tier items to drop. With how itemization is set up, most stats aren't helpful anyways aside from primary stat. Fabled items can also drop off of specific soloable heroic content (Manticore Terror Lord among others) so aside from being the 'first to do it', it isn't worth doing. The content is braindead easy that you'll not enjoy yourself anyways.

- Avoid doing crafting outside of consumables. Not only is it stupidly easy to craft (They sell p2w pots that instantly complete combines for the next hour), but it's a money sink. Alchemist is probably the most profitable, followed by woodworker, then jeweler, then sage. Everyone needs potions and expert spells - and they all tip far too generousl. Jeweler proc rings are BIS through all content.

- Let some other sucker do weaponsmith and armorer and reap their benefits. You'll only have to do that once.

- The only realistically useful Heritage quests are

* Jboots
* Screaming Mace
* Manastone (skip if necro)
* Shiny Brass Shield/Bauble
* Flowing Black Silk Sash
* Efreeti Boots

Everything else can be ignored since there's no point in completing them (except maybe if they do the Kaladim item token idea here, too)

- If this is your first time playing EQ2, do yourself a solid and download Drums (the UI mod) and install the optional EQ2Map package. It'll save you a lot of headache on knowing where shit is, and will provide useful tools like click to cure, auto harvest on click among others.

- You can instantly level a guild to 25 or so by /allaccess claim'ing the pack of heritage crates. They didn't fix this on previous TLE servers and I doubt they'll fix it here. You get items you can't obtain any other way through that window. It's dumb.

- If you're doing crafting, the instant crafting completion potions are tradable and can be sold on the broker. It's dumb.

- Ignore the above info and do what you want. EQ2 is a fun game if you just play it and not spend a dime. Don't expect a challenge. Expect mindless grinding and a shit ton of boring quests. So basically EQ1 with a default WoW UI.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Thanks for the info!

I think for my group, we plan on just playing the game and having some fun. I have no intention of buying any experience potions, and I don't expect to be first at completing anything on the server lol.

Personally, I will definitely be doing the harvest quest. I am a sucker for helping that annoying little brat with collecting harvests. I love the look of the cloak reward.

I do very much enjoy the harvesting and crafting in EQ2. It's always been an addiction thing for me when I go back and play that game. Therefore, I know I will be putting a lot of time in to crafting, and I usually go Alchemy or Cooking. Does the food and drink crafting matter on a TLE like it does on Live servers? I know back when I played through EQ2 during the Kunark expansion, both food/drink and potions were super important and sold for a lot. I don't know how that is on a new TLE server though.

Also, I know I will spend the time doing a lot of heritage quests simply because I haven't done them in many years and you know... nostalgia. Whether it is beneficial for me or not, I know I will do them just to do them lol.

Right now I am planning to main a Dirge, but I will definitely alt a necro now after reading what you said =P

Penalty

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'll be there. As broken as the itemization is I'm still a sucker for the nastolgia.

Necro is just straight busted with lich, its basically endless mana casting your spells. Not sure what exactly I'll be rolling yet. Its usually warden/necro/sk.