EQ2 TLE - Varsoon server

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
I get suckered in every TLE...and end up disappointed.

I am sure I will do it again.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Personally, I will definitely be doing the harvest quest. I am a sucker for helping that annoying little brat with collecting harvests. I love the look of the cloak reward.
You'll have to wait a fair bit. That's not till TSO or Kunark (I forget which)

All the cool crafting shit is much later. It's a side hobby and an ends to a means for getting expert spells and proc rings/weapons.

In EoF, you get adornments / tinkering which are probably one of the only interesting itemization points in the game remaining (and even then, the values outside of the proc adornments aren't much)

Rucket

Golden Knight of the Realm
Based on my limited experience on Tarinax... I'm assuming stuff like Furies/Wardens & Necros/Conjurors are going to be a dime a dozen. What are the classes that people like to see but are hard to find in EQ2?

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Did they ever streamline tradeskills? I played at launch and seem to remember that every single thing I wanted to make required many, many subcombines from other specialized tradeskill types such that I couldn't actually do anything without a load of characters. One dude processes the ore, another dude makes the ink, another dude makes the paper, another dude makes the quill, etc.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
How are enchanters in EQ2? I rolled enchanter on Aradune and for all of classic I felt like a pretty girl on Tinder.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Can you solo somewhat effectively in EQ2? I haven't played EQ 2 in 15 years but I recently quit EQ and still have a bunch of subtime left on my remaining account, so I thought I might fuck around here for a bit.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Tradeskills are a lot less dependence now. That being said, few do tradeskills on TLE as far as I know.

Both ENC classes (Illusionist/Coercer) are great, not as OP as EQ, but still great.

You can solo to a degree, EQ2 is all about questing/group/raid contents, which are a lot more complex in terms of mechanic compare to EQ

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
I’m tempted to give this a run. Played as… guardian? Originally. I always wanted to be a brawler though. I would love to do all the dungeons leveling up though.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Oh ya, the game offers some spectacular open world dungeons. Wailing Caves/Blackburrow > Stormhold > Fallen Gate > Crushbone Keep > Ruins of Varsoon > Runnyeye > Obelisk of Lost Souls > Temple of Cazic-Thule > Permafrost > Solusek's Eye.

I always place EQ2 as one of my top2 MMOs of all time, EQ is only in top5.

• 1Like

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Did they ever streamline tradeskills? I played at launch and seem to remember that every single thing I wanted to make required many, many subcombines from other specialized tradeskill types such that I couldn't actually do anything without a load of characters. One dude processes the ore, another dude makes the ink, another dude makes the paper, another dude makes the quill, etc.
Yup. Just goes from raw materials from harvesting into final products. No more crude, shaped, normal, or pristine quality items. It's either pristine or you make fuel as a result. Inter-dependency was one of the first 'complex' systems on launch to go, along with spirit shards to remove experience debt, shared experience debt among other dumb punishing systems.

Can you solo somewhat effectively in EQ2? I haven't played EQ 2 in 15 years but I recently quit EQ and still have a bunch of subtime left on my remaining account, so I thought I might fuck around here for a bit.
Every class is capable of soloing to varying extents. You could, in theory, get to 50 (the classic lvl cap) on any class without having painful downtime.
To solo content intended for a group... that's where the challenge comes in. Necro is by far the best single character soloer for all content on launch, excluding raids as the pet is just hitpoints and zero mitigation and raid targets hit far too hard.

It's a fun game to fuck around with - to be honest, some of my best experiences in this game are just doing a full 6 person group on heroic content like Blackburrow, Stormhold, etc with at least a tank, healer, and 4 dps. So pick whatever you want and play it. You'll find people ingame to group with and straight up grinding instances and open world is the best way to level.

How are enchanters in EQ2? I rolled enchanter on Aradune and for all of classic I felt like a pretty girl on Tinder.
They're okay, but the metagame in this game is to blindly AOE NPCs. They offer solid group utility - ie; deal damage on any spell on hitting a target for the group, adding dps or haste buffs while in the group to 1-2 members, and coercer has possess essence (a copy of the target as a level appropriate pet with its spells) & charm, and illusionist can summon a clone of themselves.

Out of the two, I'd say neither really shines until the new 52/55/58 spells in DoF, KoS class AAs, and further with EoF subclass-specific AAs. They're boring as piss to play in classic.

• 1Like

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
They're okay, but the metagame in this game is to blindly AOE NPCs. They offer solid group utility - ie; deal damage on any spell on hitting a target for the group, adding dps or haste buffs while in the group to 1-2 members, and coercer has possess essence (a copy of the target as a level appropriate pet with its spells) & charm, and illusionist can summon a clone of themselves.

Out of the two, I'd say neither really shines until the new 52/55/58 spells in DoF, KoS class AAs, and further with EoF subclass-specific AAs. They're boring as piss to play in classic.
I played Illusionist on Nagafen release and was consistently top DPS in most groups. Granted I think that our pets were broken AF at the time and they may have fixed it since. I just recall doing far too much damage and getting invited to groups I really had no business being in because I happened to play the right class. Was a lot of fun for a while.

I sucked at pvp, but I don't think that was the classes fault. I also quit sometime shortly after DoF so I can't speak to how they scale at all

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
I played Illusionist on Nagafen release and was consistently top DPS in most groups. Granted I think that our pets were broken AF at the time and they may have fixed it since. I just recall doing far too much damage and getting invited to groups I really had no business being in because I happened to play the right class. Was a lot of fun for a while.

I sucked at pvp, but I don't think that was the classes fault. I also quit sometime shortly after DoF so I can't speak to how they scale at all
Pet damage was tuned down significantly since Nagafen 2.0 launch. That was an unmitigated disaster and what led to pet nerfs in general.

Necros are still group content soloers viable because of the pet heal, Lifetap / Bloodcloud, Lich, and the tank pet's ability to root targets at range.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Eq2 even with current updates still
Has good group content correct ? Might check this out if so

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Some of my best memories and friends from EQ2 came from that interdependence. I remember when they changed it up and the entire tradeskill community at that time fell apart.

Obviously now with no population it would be stupud to keep it, but in the glory days it formed an amazing community.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Pet damage was tuned down significantly since Nagafen 2.0 launch. That was an unmitigated disaster and what led to pet nerfs in general.

Necros are still group content soloers viable because of the pet heal, Lifetap / Bloodcloud, Lich, and the tank pet's ability to root targets at range.

One of the first TLEs my summoner pet out dps'd most classes by itself. But yeah, they nerfed that without fixing any of the other broken shit, so summoners bring absolutely nothing to a group compared to necros, while still doing a lot less damage. I quit when I started sitting for raids that had 3 necros instead lol.

There's still a programming error on our mythic weapon that's been there for like 2 decades. It's SUPPOSED to summon a beast of a pet like the EQ1 mage epic, but there's a number off somewhere, and it summons the apprentice spell version of a shitty pet.

• 1Worf

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I've been playing on Kaladim to get familiar with the game again. Having a lot of fun.

Kaladim server: Mughdirge 24 Dirge / 25 Alchemist.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Definitely interested in this. Is the notorious ability bloat not as bad originally? Hopefully...