EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

Lenas

Trump's Staff
It's not that EQL is this great content creation tool that professional artists can use to generate content, it's a poor content creation tool that is wrapped up in a game that gamers can use to generate content.
To say this in the face of what you know is coming seems to be disingenuous at best. Landmark is going to be the most capable content creation toolset that any game engine has ever seen. Detailed objects imported from out-of-game, destructible world creation inside of game, as well as mob creation, AI scripting, event triggers and quest creation. How do you simplify all of that down into a "poor content creation tool" when what you really mean is that you wish voxels had more possible detail?

Right, they still need to build it in Landmark is my point.
Yeah, but the point is that they probably didn't make it from scratch within Landmark without having already done it outside of Landmark at least for reference.

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
It's not that EQL is this great content creation tool that professional artists can use to generate content, it's a poor content creation tool
To say this in the face of what you know is coming seems to be disingenuous at best. Landmark is going to be the most capable content creation toolset that any game engine has ever seen. Detailed objects imported from out-of-game, destructible world creation inside of game, as well as mob creation, AI scripting, event triggers and quest creation. How do you simplify all of that down into a "poor content creation tool" when what you really mean is that you wish voxels had more possible detail?
I think what Tuco meant it was a bad content creation tool for professional artists who are trying to do 3d modelling type stuff, not that its a bad content creation tool for a MMO. So the "detailed objects" you mention, are made in something like Maya, then imported rather than made from scratch in Landmark.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, but the point is that they probably didn't make it from scratch within Landmark without having already done it outside of Landmark at least for reference.
Not to keep going back and forth on this, but what reference is it doing for them, if they can't really import anything? I'm genuinely interested. I'm not familiar with 3D modeling in the least, so I just assume if you're good at it, it would take less time to do it in the shittier Landmark tools once, than do it in Maya(or whatever) once and then have to it all over again using Landmark.

Fedor

<Banned>

efecdc5bbecff5c51f11bbf5fd8ee5eb.jpg

Mughal

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I think what Tuco meant it was a bad content creation tool for professional artists who are trying to do 3d modelling type stuff, not that its a bad content creation tool for a MMO. So the "detailed objects" you mention, are made in something like Maya, then imported rather than made from scratch in Landmark.
Could you or Tuco link to a voxel-based editing tool for professional artists? Or one for amateur artists? On one for noobs? Or any voxel editing tool? There are tools to export your 3d models in Maya to voxels and they suck.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
That looks really good. The common progression you'd see with people is that they'd go through very discrete steps when learning minecraft:

1. Learning the tools, materials, game, etc, building really shitty, very basic things with some artistic intent but no ability whatsoever.
2. Knowledgeable enough about the game to recreate things in their head with some level of accuracy, but usually they are blocked by the limitations of the game or the ever diminishing ignorance of the game.
3. An expert at the game and knows what minecraft is good at producing and what it simply can not produce.

This seems like one of the first examples of the third category I've seen, where an interesting creation is made that isn't fighting against the limitations of the system but embraces what it's good at.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Not to keep going back and forth on this, but what reference is it doing for them, if they can't really import anything? I'm genuinely interested. I'm not familiar with 3D modeling in the least, so I just assume if you're good at it, it would take less time to do it in the shittier Landmark tools once, than do it in Maya(or whatever) once and then have to it all over again using Landmark.
There are tools available that will convert 3D objects into block-like structures for things like Minecraft. You could make it as detailed as you want in Maya, and then have it converted to an as-close-as-possible approximation in voxels which you can follow step by step within Landmark without having any guess work.

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
Could you or Tuco link to a voxel-based editing tool for professional artists? Or one for amateur artists? On one for noobs? Or any voxel editing tool? There are tools to export your 3d models in Maya to voxels and they suck.
What does it matter if there is or isn't one? How does a professional artist using the landmark engine export, save, or have tangible assets they can take with them for commercial purposes outside of the SOE sandbox? That's not even talking about whether or not we own the content we make using Landmark. What if someone wants to sell what they made as digital art for another game? A book? A stand-alone version of the mini-game you made?

We don't know if the imported stuff will even be voxels. They could just end up being similar to props.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
We don't know if the imported stuff will even be voxels. They could just end up being similar to props.
I'm talking with Lenas about the actual things being made by players now , not the props/blueprints they'll be adding.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
700 is a lot. When WoW had 700 people together for the AQ gate openings it was a disaster.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Pretty cool, though I'll be more impressed when everyone doesn't look almost exactly identical and it's only two character models basically.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
Some amazing creations over the last few pages. Have been totally eqnl-blocked lately but the more I see, the more excited I am for both EQNL and EQN.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pretty cool, though I'll be more impressed when everyone doesn't look almost exactly identical and it's only two character models basically.
This, it's a nice start but its very basic.

Especially since it uses the same engine as PS2 and that game had big troubles when lots of people got in one area(mostly culling issues).

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Forgive my ignorance on this, but isn't it just a matter of polys rendered? What does different character models have to do with it?