EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

Felmega_sl

shitlord
I have not been excited about a game for a while, and i must say (even through my F EQN posts in the past) just Landmark itself is damn fun and if this is fun, i can't imagine how EQN is going to be, if the artists for SoE are half as good as what the players can build, this is really going to be a very interesting world (hope they have good gameplay mechanics) but as i sit here at work, all i do is think about wanting to get home to get into Landmark... no game has done that to me for a while.
smile.png
I agree with your sentiment but let's recognize that The Dev team have a lot of work to do. I am really looking forward to beta.

Edit: Some of those images from the last page are amazing. Talented artists can sculpt some awesome stuff.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
This game exists solely to make me feel bad about myself.

I'm like the Swedish Chef cooking next to Grant Achatz.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Why does the female character have spine curvature problems typical of women who hold babies on their hips too much?
80509262_XS.jpg

Siliconemelons

I bet there are many people who are going to hate to say it...but... it looks like Sony has dun good on this one, let us see how they pull in EQN into the landmark stuff... and to think Landmark was a "oh yeah and this also" announcement... seems like it could end up being bigger than EQN proper.

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This game has more potential than any other game currently. If you're not involved in Landmark/EQNext you really are missing the next generation stuff.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I'm not familiar with 3d modelling, but I'm gonna assume that guy has access to some kind of voxel based program that assisted with that.
There's a few tools that take a mesh from 3DS or Maya and spit out sheets with each voxel plane required to make it.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Given the demand for artists / designers in all facets of modern society... why is it that arts education is not part of the "common core"? Hell even in hardcore science and engineering the guy that does great powerpoint slides often trumps the guy that does great engineering but has zero style.

Xith

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I have not been excited about a game for a while, and i must say (even through my F EQN posts in the past) just Landmark itself is damn fun and if this is fun, i can't imagine how EQN is going to be, if the artists for SoE are half as good as what the players can build, this is really going to be a very interesting world (hope they have good gameplay mechanics) but as i sit here at work, all i do is think about wanting to get home to get into Landmark... no game has done that to me for a while.
smile.png
I'm hoping that with the ease of use of the creation tools and the fact that they can use stuff from EQ-L, that there's a lot less artists even needed for EQN. Then they can focus their resources more on game systems, performance, quests, etc.

Remit_sl

shitlord
Given the demand for artists / designers in all facets of modern society... why is it that arts education is not part of the "common core"? Hell even in hardcore science and engineering the guy that does great powerpoint slides often trumps the guy that does great engineering but has zero style.
People get mad for some reason when really beautiful buildings and structures collapse killing everyone inside.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
You can't just teach art to people who have no desire or capacity for it. Same with math. And if the primary output of an engineer is powerpoint slides then he is probably miserable.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Ya... I figured that. Builds like that statue are just too crazy detailed to be legit.
Well the person had to make in another program, so I'm not sure why it's not believable they made it in Landmark. There are going to be a lot of very talented artists playing the game.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Sure but legitimate 3D programs are much easier to create something amazing in than a system like Landmark, going block by block. I can open up Zbrush and sculpt out a rudimentary face in a couple of minutes using my wacom tablet, but doing the same thing in Landmark would take hours, even with a diagram of exactly where to place everything.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I think Intropy said it best when he told me that he liked survival mode in minecraft, because creator mode in minecraft was just a really bad 3d program.

It's not that EQL is this great content creation tool that professional artists can use to generate content, it's a poor content creation tool that is wrapped up in a game that gamers can use to generate content.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Minecraft creative would be so much better if you could vary the size of the blocks, sort of like in landmark. But yeah, doing that shit block by block is probably hair pulling out material.

But didnt Landmark have copy tools? I seem to remember some videos showing how you could copy shapes and make other shapes out of them, and then copy the new shape again is this true?

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Sure but legitimate 3D programs are much easier to create something amazing in than a system like Landmark, going block by block. I can open up Zbrush and sculpt out a rudimentary face in a couple of minutes using my wacom tablet, but doing the same thing in Landmark would take hours, even with a diagram of exactly where to place everything.
Right, they still need to build it in Landmark is my point.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Minecraft creative would be so much better if you could vary the size of the blocks, sort of like in landmark. But yeah, doing that shit block by block is probably hair pulling out material.

But didnt Landmark have copy tools? I seem to remember some videos showing how you could copy shapes and make other shapes out of them, and then copy the new shape again is this true?
Yes, you can copy your entire claim and paste it, if you wanted. Landmark's building tools are about 1,000 times more powerful than Minecraft. It's not even close.