EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

Composter

Golden Knight of the Realm
I got the 7 day invite (Keoney in game) and I'm trying really hard to enjoy this game. But I think it's going to take me at least 7 days just to gather enough mats to make the tools, etc I need to build. Every time I think I'm making progress, it's like, you need this next tier crap to harvest the next tier that you need to build another tool to harvest the next tier that you need to craft a tool to build, etc etc...I'm in an endless loop of harvesting...
I've been referring to it as "Harvesting: The Game". Bc that's all I've been doing since Friday. I'm sure I'm not "doing it right", but I've read the "getting started" guide and looked for tips and hints.
I did the keen eye bands, and the claim flag. I have my claim and a stone forge. So I guess...back to harvesting...
Not sure how it is now, but in Alpha I skipped a lot of harvesting progression by only focusing on tools and using someone else's crafting stations. Plus, if you primarily use stone/dirt/wood you should be able to start building as soon as you can afford the shaping tools (line, smooth, etc.).

moontayle

Golden Squire
Right, to build you don't need much to get started. And truth be told the progression aspect of the harvesting tools is better now than it was even a week ago. I spent a couple of hours just getting enough Thistle Seed for whichever ones needed it (I forget) because I just couldn't find the trees that spit them out. Then the patch hit and now they're everywhere. I'm willing bet anyone could, at the moment, get up to a Mithril Pick and Rubicite Axe within a few hours of starting from scratch if they had an idea of what they need to do. Now, once caves go in, that's a game changer. Still, to get all your building stuff doesn't require you to go that far.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Don't make your own crafting stations until you've got everything else. Every server has every station available within sight range of almost anywhere.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Right, to build you don't need much to get started. And truth be told the progression aspect of the harvesting tools is better now than it was even a week ago. I spent a couple of hours just getting enough Thistle Seed for whichever ones needed it (I forget) because I just couldn't find the trees that spit them out. Then the patch hit and now they're everywhere. I'm willing bet anyone could, at the moment, get up to a Mithril Pick and Rubicite Axe within a few hours of starting from scratch if they had an idea of what they need to do. Now, once caves go in, that's a game changer. Still, to get all your building stuff doesn't require you to go that far.
Thanks to a beta key from thos very thread i started out fresh in cb and can say getting all your harvesting and building tools done takes like 1 hardcore day (i needed 2 cause of sleep and cooking and tv).
For a quick starter i recommed /join general and ask around for a mith pick and rubi axe since plenty of those floating around by those legendary tool attempts.
Oh and also use other people stations since there are plenty around.

Edit:
Also i noticed that the claim management shows all claims will expire on the 14th(?) so would that be the expected date for the cave biome revamp?
Ponytail dropped in a recent interview they were like 2-3 weeks away so that date would match.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
So I got a 7day invite from SoE (Whidon in game unless my name been ganked for the first time ever). Not going to have much time to do anything till tomorrow however. Does the 7 days not start until I activate it from the email? Or will I have wasted two days by when I can start. Any idea when combat or anything beyond building will be in game.

Shame it's not a key I would likely give it out here being the amiable fellow I am . Not really the creative type who enjoys building stuff that has no function or purpose beyond perhaps looking nice.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Edit:
Also i noticed that the claim management shows all claims will expire on the 14th(?) so would that be the expected date for the cave biome revamp?
Ponytail dropped in a recent interview they were like 2-3 weeks away so that date would match.
That's a system thing. I logged in this morning to add some time to my claim and it had the same message but for 4/10. when I added some upkeep it changed to 4/14. So basically it's just telling you the drop dead date for when your entire claim is getting packed up.

overbyte

Golden Knight of the Realm
Neat. Where is your claim? I'll have to check it out.
[14:32:10] Your current location: -1657.79, 1286.44, -572.31

Im kinda going the opposite direction by building a bunker underground. It's just past the church and pyramid. There isn't much there at the moment, just one room where I was experimenting with some of the tools a bit. I know that a claim reset is coming up and much of what I'm doing is really tied to the claim itself so I've been focusing more or getting that elusive legendary pick.

Ultimately I want to make a fallout shelter.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
David Georgeson ?@DaveGeorgeson 2m

/activate tease mode Caves sneak peek in today's livestream /deactivate

Think I'll start grinding out t-4 resources. Days are numbered on the easy pickings.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, I've been farming mithril, obsidian and other high tier resources this past week for the same reason, and because I need a metric fuckton of certain stuff. It's really annoying that your max amount is 100k each in inventory and vault for things besides stone/dirt/sand, which I barely use. Hope they increase that at some point, so I can stop making chests.

Thought this was a cool bonus:

"People who help us develop the Landmark Adventurer class by participating in Alpha/Closed Beta will have the EverQuest Next Adventurer class unlocked when EverQuest Next launches."

EverQuest Next - Round Table

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I haven't seen all of that info about the Adventurer class anywhere else, so quoting here for info.

As you may know, there is only one class in Landmark, the Adventurer. This is ok though, because the Adventurer is SUPER talented. They can actually use any combat item in Landmark. This is important because without classes, your character will be a sum of the different items you choose to equip. You will get a chance to wear any item you find or craft, in order to create a play style unique to how you like to play.

Traditionally, equipping different items might not be a big deal, but Landmark items will change the way you play. For example, each weapon you equip will give you an ability to use, each accessory will modify those abilities, and each piece of armor will drastically change the way your combat resources (like mana) behave. With each combat item adjusting the way your character operates, you will have choice upon choice in creating the perfect play style for your tastes! We plan on working with you and getting your feedback during Beta and beyond in order to create many weapons, armors, and accessories in the future. Each item we add to the pool will be able to combine with the previous ones to create nearly endless potential for you to tap into.

The Landmark Adventurer and the way that it can be customized through gear interaction are the first steps to the highly customizable classes we plan for EverQuest Next. People who help us develop the Landmark Adventurer class by participating in Alpha/Closed Beta will have the EverQuest Next Adventurer class unlocked when EverQuest Next launches. Note: while they share a name, there will be significant differences between these classes, as the EverQuest Next Adventurer will be more highly focused and more thematic, like all of the EverQuest Next classes.

Right now we're interested in what sort of Landmark Adventurer you are most interested in making. Sadly, we only have a limited number of answers in the poll, but please respond in the comments as well and we'll be reading!

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Also, Ponytail has been tweeting hints about tomorrow's patch, which contains some shifting of ores and crafting, among other things. And there will be some footage of caves on today's livestream.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Or faster if you have a friend. I was testing grouping with a friend who wanted to try it out. Grouped I was able to funnel her a ton of stuff she could not harvest herself while she harvested what she could and I got that at the same time. So I came away with a lot of the basic stuff I needed like heart wood and she had enough higher level minerals to skip right to cobalt pick.

I think on a fresh start two people working together could in the current crafting system max out their picks probably in an hour if they really were focused.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Will now be able to have up to 5 claims. 2 main / 3 attachment.

"For God's sake please read the patch notes tomorrow" - Ponytail

Generated cave looked pretty cool. Team saw them for the first time yesterday.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Live stream going on. Stained glass incoming, as well as crafted light sources.

http://www.twitch.tv/landmarkgame
From the way he explained it, only the white light source is free and craftable, the colored ones are marketplace only, which if true, is fucking lame and sets a shitty precedent. What's next, cash only higher grade materials and textures?

Also, next week's patch will have an actual glass prop. No voxel glass yet, though.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Noticed that Terry said you're going to make money by selling resources directly to merchants, so long live the farm game.

Ability to upgrade items might make it in game next week, may not mean trying to craft a legendary 80 times.

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
Watching the cave video a second time through, I noticed DG said they got the caves to "tile" correctly. I was under the impression that the caves would be created per-voxel, but it seems they're doing some kind of tiling method. If you look closely, you can see a couple of seams between tiles.

I imagine the tiling method they are using makes it far easier to control the quality of caves, whereas a per-voxel randomization would require a ton of checks to make sure the cave doesn't look like a mess of voxels that you can't navigate through.