EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
Saving my mats for now:

https://forums.station.sony.com/land...8/#post-346307

Hi all, just wanted to try to clear up some of the confusion about the MasterCraft Bracer. First, it does, in fact, make it more likely that you will craft items that are of higher quality. Specifically, it increases the likelihood that your crafted item will be either Exceptional or Legendary by increasing the weight of those qualities by 10%.

That being said, we aren't happy with how we've been distributing Exceptional/Legendary items. Since the quality of an item is determined entirely at random, whether or not you get an Exceptional or Legendary is entirely determined by luck. This results in two pretty poor outcomes:
  1. The Lucky Roll - Crafting a Legendary on the first attempt feels great for the person doing it, sure, but Legendary items should require more effort. Beyond that, this element of luck can wind up diminishing how others perceive their own accomplishments: My friend and I are both upgrading to our Cobalt Pick and he got a Legendary while I got a Superior and I'm so jealous I can't even be happy I just upgraded my pick! (I know, I know. I'm broken inside. I should be happy for my friend... but seriously, screw that lucky piece of....)
  2. The RNG Hates Me! - The flip-side to "The Lucky Roll" - a series of unlucky rolls. I'm talking 50 consecutive combines without an Exceptional or Legendary. That's some serious investment for an inventory full of unused picks.
We wanted to fix these problems, mainly because they were causing us to hate our lucky friends
wink.png
, but also because we thought the quality of an item should be more reflective of the investment into that item. As solutions, we came up with a handful of what, imo, are really cool additions to the existing item system that we'll be rolling out starting with Item Upgrading, which is really close to being ready. All of these changes have been made with the idea of allowing players to invest into their items and alter them in predictable ways that reflect the amount invested. We want you guys to have one pick you love because you invested a ton into it and took it from Superior to Legendary, not a backpack full of 50 unused picks. Once Item Upgrading goes in, instead of hoping you get a lucky blue or orange, you'll upgrade the items you craft as you see fit.

tldr - The MasterCraft Bracer definitely helps you get better items, but we agree random chance has problems so we're making things better.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
FFA loot, of course.

While the servers were down, 20 page long discussion on the forums about whether or not colored lights should be a cash shop item. Servers come up, and before ya know it, thread disappears. SOE at its finest.

Edit: And then mysteriously reappears later. Guess they locked and hid it while scouring it for an excuse to take it down permanently, lol.

Caliane

FFA loot, of course.

While the servers were down, 20 page long discussion on the forums about whether or not colored lights should be a cash shop item. Servers come up, and before ya know it, thread disappears. SOE at its finest.

Edit: And then mysteriously reappears later. Guess they locked and hid it while scouring it for an excuse to take it down permanently, lol.
Hilarious part is people defending it.

Just a nice reminder of how there is always sycophants.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Seems like such a minor thing to bitch about (colored lights being shop-only). Oh no, I can't build my disco!

I'm of two minds. On one hand, it's not nice to tease colored lights and then pop all but one (the generic white one at that) in the shop. On the other hand, we've known they were going to put items in the shop that weren't just resources or outfits.

When we learned this was F2P we knew that this was going to happen so I'm not sure what people were expecting.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Do you buy a recipe to craft as many colored lights (eh) as you want or is it sold per light (kinda gay)?

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
I have mixed feelings on the lights.. Lighting is a pretty fundamental part of good level design and white light doesn't make sense in many situations; however, 10 lights for $1 isn't exactly breaking the bank, and they could very well add more props with lights attached to them or allow these colored lights to be found in the world.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I knew I should have stayed up later Wednesday night to finish my second-tier sifter; the rubicite cost on that thing seems to have about tripled
frown.png
At least now I have a shitload of mithril stockpiled after trying to get enough rubicite.

And I did it in Timber, the same place I complained about not finding enough ancient rootstock...yeah, now I have a ton of that shit too just from randomly chopping down the ones I saw. So it must just have been farmed out the last time and now I was the asshole cleaning it out. Feels good, man!

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Rubicite is not too bad anymore. They have their own vein with diamond at the end.
They seem pretty rare though, unless I'm looking in the wrong places. I was in a Tier 4 zone (Timber), and my claim is in Tier 3 (Tor). The Tier 3 didn't seem to have any at all (as expected), and in the Tier 4, compared to the probably 100 mithril veins I mined, I found maybe 5 rubicite veins (with the diamond at the end which you mentioned). If there is an easier way to find them, I'd love to hear it.

It is sort of funny how now I get upset when mithril ends in ruby instead of rubicite.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Can't you effectively make your own colored light by enclosing a white one with colored glass material around it, or would it not be the same?
No, white light is white light. None of the current materials are translucent, so the light doesn't actually shine "through" them, the radius of light simply extends outside the object.

Here's a large part of why I disagree with colored lights being cash shop only:

"Actually, no, it isn't "fluff" if you are using lumicite (other than white) in your build. Lumicite is a glowing building material. Problem is, it is missing a very important feature of a glowing substance. It does not project that light onto surrounding surfaces. If you want that missing feature you will need to buy colored lights. It is basically equivalent to having to buy the reflective property of something like obsidian. It is a core function of a building material that has been put behind a paywall. Not fluff."

In addition, it's not just about colored lights, it's about where this will lead. Better building materials/textures that are cash shop only? It's only a step away.

Edit: And the CM just came in and locked the thread temporarily to "clean it up".

moontayle

Golden Squire
Again, when it was known that the game would be F2P, what did you expect? They have to generate revenue somehow and putting items like this behind a paywall is absolutely a thing that was likely to happen. You're right, there's a slippery slope here but that exists in any F2P game. It's all well and good to speak up, and people absolutely should, but there's such a thing as picking your battles. If there's an uproar over every little thing then eventually they start tuning us out and that's what we don't want to happen.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I feel like I will probably run around and collect a bunch of materials again tonight after I get home from work. I hear that grouping is beneficial for all involved, is that true? What's the max group size? Do you need to be on the same island? Or even the same server? Or can you just group up long-distance and share whatever everyone picks up? I can't get into the game right now to check this stuff out, and the forums aren't giving me a quick answer, so sorry for sounding like a typical noob. But it sounds like there is no reason we shouldn't all group up regardless of what we are doing? Or if one person is just mooching, is that hurting the party? Assuming it is all beneficial, it sounds like that would at least provide some motivation to keep harvesting because we're all getting a profit from it.

If anyone is looking to group up in about 2-3 hours, look for me in-game, LiegeKiller. I have absolutely no idea how to group up, or even chat with someone, so hopefully you do!

Oh, and unrelated question. Your first claim is 300 copper a day. Is a second one just 300 more? And the add-on claims? Or do they get steeper in cost/materials as you add more? Because I kind of like the idea of making a second claim somewhere so I don't have to run back and forth all the time.

So yeah, let's group up! I promise I won't ask for stuff (Raes already gave me far more than I needed to get going as it is), and I won't constantly pepper you with questions. I probably won't even say anything at all, but if we can get a resource benefit out of it, why not?

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just booted this up last night, and I'm glad I picked Serenity server. Massive Firiona Vie statue right near the zone in, amazing.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Again, when it was known that the game would be F2P, what did you expect? They have to generate revenue somehow and putting items like this behind a paywall is absolutely a thing that was likely to happen. You're right, there's a slippery slope here but that exists in any F2P game. It's all well and good to speak up, and people absolutely should, but there's such a thing as picking your battles. If there's an uproar over every little thing then eventually they start tuning us out and that's what we don't want to happen.
That's the point. This is one of those battles to pick. This is the first building material/cosmetic that has been but on the cash shop and only the cash shop. Some of us believe that there should be an in-game option to attain them. Personally, I would have preferred if lumicite simply functioned properly.

It's not like people rise up and start raging every time something new is added to the marketplace. And no matter what is added, and no matter what reason people give for being against it, the same tired old arguments will be brought up supporting it. Now is the time, and if nothing changes, well, it won't matter if SOE "stops" listening. Because it will show that they never planned on listening in the first place. So, might as well get it over with.

You are free to disagree, of course.

@Vvoid It's a 20% material bonus for grouping, I *think* the max # of people is 4, but the group bonus does not increase. Pretty sure you have to be on the same island. Claims are a flat 300 copper each per day.