EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

Caliane

I think you're noticing the lack of 'finishing touches'. Banners, torches, and other environmental props will certainly help make things look complete. These things either aren't in game yet, or players haven't been using them properly. It's not that the textures themselves are bad, it's that the world itself lacks 'texture'.
That and everything is too.. clean. everything is uniform. not even rough edges. no moss, no vines. no broken cobblestones. no dirt. no offcolor bricks etc.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think you're noticing the lack of 'finishing touches'. Banners, torches, and other environmental props will certainly help make things look complete. These things either aren't in game yet, or players haven't been using them properly. It's not that the textures themselves are bad, it's that the world itself lacks 'texture'.
Actually nearly all of those things are in the game and pretty easy to do. I have done a lot of the moss creeping vine type stuff in my caves I have made. If you look at the ogre workshop they had a fair amount of more rough looking structures. The qeynos competition I believe somewhat specified a fairly "clean" look so they did not make them weathered as they did some of the previous ones.

I am looking forward to the wipe so I can start working on this game a bit more also be curious how the new user experience is after all the changes they made since I started my character. Even the last big wipe was not a big deal for me because they let me keep my tools and with high end tools its pretty fast redoing anything that needs redoing.

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
I think they need a dirt/decal type layer so you can actually have some variety from building to building. Everything looks super pristine right now

workshop mentions qeynos being a newer city.
stylistically, thr nature of the avg size of voxels leads to a requiring a larger than life scale to get allthe details expected in rl architecture buildings. that, in part, i find gives a visually reduced complexity similar to that of the witness(there's a blog post about it) and hence the 'clean' look. (there are broken cobblestone/vines in some plots.. but not everyone takes or cantake the time to work on it. )
however, alot of structs look like they weren't made from voxels and is largely due to the artistry of the player... which alot of ppl don't have. ...the tools also don't make it easy apparently

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
An overly 'clean' or flat look is one of the spectrums of quality in Minecraft too. One of the first things a good builder has to learn is how to add depth to their builds.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Something else to remember, these buildings won't be copy pasted right into the game. The dev team has said they may even just use components of builds in the finished product, and add finishing details in house later.

Still, building modules created by passionate players is a huge asset, and I think it's gonna pay off huge in the final product.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think they need a dirt/decal type layer so you can actually have some variety from building to building. Everything looks super pristine right now
They are adding in new materials types/textures pretty frequently. There are quite a few more weathered looking texture types. A lot of what you are seeing in that qeynos set looks like that because the workshops have some specific guidelines on what they want to see and the materials types suggested and looks suggested tend to a more clean 'pristine' look. Its actually really easy to paint on mosses and dirt type looks onto stuff to give really nice old/weathered/dirty looks with just the tools and textures that are already there. I made a nice stonehenge type thing at one point and was very pleased with the ability to weather and moss up the place to make it look old and abandoned.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Also a good thing to note that you generally want to build structures in a pristine state if you plan on creating templates. Paste it in 100% perfect, then rough it up and destroy edges etc. if needed.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
K, good enough arguments.
biggrin.png

Vinsanity_sl

shitlord
If I wanted to start from scratch and make one of those impressive structures...are we talking hundreds of hours of gathering mats and building with them? Just curious...

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Granularity Engineer>
If I wanted to start from scratch and make one of those impressive structures...are we talking hundreds of hours of gathering mats and building with them? Just curious...
In the old alpha, starting from scratch and getting to the point where you had the materials to build would be HOURS plus maybe low TENS of HOURS to upgrade axes, picks, etc. In the new model, it looks like many base materials can be placed with no gathering at all and you will spend HOURS harvesting rare materials. You will need to spend a couple of hours visiting swap meets to gather micro-voxel templates, and anywhere from HOURS to HUNDREDS of HOURS learning to make complex shapes.

That said, you could build a decent, attractive structure with only a few hours of time invested if you have the artistic talent or really great spatial reasoning. Building something impressive in EQ:L is also about understanding what composition works well in the game to produce a good design, and what doesn't work, and then having the voxelmancy skills to understand how to compose it.

Warflagon

Peasant
stopped logging in or caring when sony got bought. Waiting to see where it ends up before I spend any more time with it.

Silence_sl

shitlord
In the old alpha, starting from scratch and getting to the point where you had the materials to build would be HOURS plus maybe low TENS of HOURS to upgrade axes, picks, etc. In the new model, it looks like many base materials can be placed with no gathering at all and you will spend HOURS harvesting rare materials. You will need to spend a couple of hours visiting swap meets to gather micro-voxel templates, and anywhere from HOURS to HUNDREDS of HOURS learning to make complex shapes.

That said, you could build a decent, attractive structure with only a few hours of time invested if you have the artistic talent or really great spatial reasoning. Building something impressive in EQ:L is also about understanding what composition works well in the game to produce a good design, and what doesn't work, and then having the voxelmancy skills to understand how to compose it.
I wonder how much money Sony had to pay Daybreak to pick up this turkey.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Interesting...a few days ago Terry said it was delayed.

I expect servers will be down at least two days.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I would not be shocked if this is at least a few day downtime I know one time in alpha when they were regenerating some of the islands it took a while for that to finish. That said I am pretty curious to give it a twirl when it comes back up and try what the new player experience is now that its more fully fleshed out.