EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
There is some progression from hunting now. Basically once you craft your first weapon after so many kills I think 50 or 100 you get an achievement which awards a nicer looking version of that weapon that unlocks its W ability. I think if you keep killing stuff with that same weapon you get further improvements to the weapons qualities.

Other achievements unlock new items/props/recipes so while not traditional leveling style there is some actual progression that happens now via play and not just harvest a ton of materials and build X.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Is there character progession from mob kills or is it just for materials and all that? Like can you gain xp to put into weapon enhancements etc etc.
You have to kill X amount of mobs and harvest X amount of materials per tier (also usually have to craft an armor/upgrade) to get that level adventurer achievement. The achievements come with +hp/armor/power so that's where the bulk of your progression comes from. Even crafting and building achievements raise your effective power.

It's actually pretty fun and compelling.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
If nothing else the achievement system they have is a good base to add onto over time. Honestly the make a character from scratch experience after the big wipe was MUCH nicer and much more friendly experience than when I first started in alpha with here is the worst pick ever now go harvest for 2 hours to do anything and build anything.

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
The previous iteration was terrible.. you had to mine for hours to even get the basic building tools, on top of getting enough resources to build a basic house. Now they give it to you all within 5 minutes of starting the game; a set of starter houses to choose from that include crafting stations, unlimited basic resources (stone, dirt, snow, etc.), and no more stupid upkeep costs that REQUIRE you to log-in almost every day to farm copper.

Also, having additional claims and claim extensions doesn't raise your "upkeep" since all you have to do is log in once every month to keep it all.

IMO, this is a big step towards player retention. Losing your claim kills any motivation to return. Everything goes into your overflow and you have to spend an entire play session getting back to where you left off.

overbyte

Golden Knight of the Realm
If nothing else the achievement system they have is a good base to add onto over time. Honestly the make a character from scratch experience after the big wipe was MUCH nicer and much more friendly experience than when I first started in alpha with here is the worst pick ever now go harvest for 2 hours to do anything and build anything.
If you were watching the videos from the last SOE LIVE event about how they planned to organize and unlock stats/abilities for Next, you can see a lot of that in this latest patch of landmark. If they can take the system and give it a bit more character and depth then there is hope for EQNext.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yup this system with added depth is not a bad model for a non level based MMO. Now add 8 weapon/armor power options instead of three and I think you have a pretty good base system there. The weapons in landmark are pretty simple but still pretty fun even with that and good diversity in options if you have 2 or 3 hot keyed so you can swap to a different set if you need some different capability. They do need to add a nice laser pistol/laser gun or two to go with all their nice tech armor looks.

Caliane

yeah, they actually need to decide on that imho. Is this a fantasy game or future game?
Starbound went through and did a pass removing/updated the fantasy elements making the game more sci-fi as a hole. Removing picks, making the matter manip default, etc.

So the same deal.. if you are going to ok to the sci-fi stuff... fuck off with the picks. give me a ranged digging tool.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
yeah, they actually need to decide on that imho. Is this a fantasy game or future game?
Starbound went through and did a pass removing/updated the fantasy elements making the game more sci-fi as a hole. Removing picks, making the matter manip default, etc.

So the same deal.. if you are going to ok to the sci-fi stuff... fuck off with the picks. give me a ranged digging tool.
Landmark is supposed to be genera agnostic so high tech low tech all are good. And yes they need to have high tech variants of all the stuff and eventually they probably will. I believe the crafting stations have their tech forge options as appearance once you unlock it weapons/tools need that as well.

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
As cool as a gunslinger class would be, I'm doubtful if they'd commit resources to animating a whole class that wouldn't appear in EQN right now. So far we've gotten weapons that are almost definitely using EQN assets.

The clothing is a little different I think, since it doesn't take nearly as long to create, but who knows! Would be really cool for a future weapon and both sci fi and western shooters (and even modern) could share the same animations

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I do think the bulk of their focus is pushing hard at EQN now so things like pistols laser or otherwise are probably not a near term thing but hopefully something added some day.

Warflagon

Peasant
Logged in after 3 months of not, was a slide show for me, as opposed to before when it ran smooth. Turned invidia part physics off and smooth as can be now...or as well as it was, heh.

Edit -
Not that it really matters; there is no place to place a claim anyway. It's all taken. the whole maps are red. Why did they go to 5 servers?

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Go to a spire and change islands, there are a ton of them.

There are I think 5 servers and each one has I think 30 islands. One thing to note there was some issue with claim caps on some islands due to them screwing up the attached claim limits but that should get corrected here soonish.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Welcome to our new world -- Lumeria!

Landmark now has a clearer theme and direction for launch to better reflect the creativity and brilliance of our players and their creations.

Characters are now called Luminaries and the unit of imagination is called the "lumen"! Luminaries acquire inspiration in the form of lumens as they complete everyday activities and the Lumen Station can distil these into equipment, resources, and knowledge!
Someone alert Lumie. He needs this.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Honestly landmark with some work could be a fun niche game. Being able to make your own dungeons in basically an MMO for people to explore and have fun with could be a pretty neat concept if they can make it work. Back when I was dinking around with this more I had actually made nearly full copy of the old EQ1 befallen dungeon. I did not quite have enough claims to finish some of the really deep parts of it but the upper stuff was looking really good.