1IobFxD.jpg

N3vOn3n.jpg

ox7Iuc9.jpg
Kinda reminds me of The Black Fortress from Krull
smile.png
awesome stuff

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I was thinking the tower off of Never Ending Story with all the bird men. Looks fantastic!

Zuuljin

Bronze Knight of the Realm
what always makes me wonder is, where were these people for like Neverwinter nights?
or any of the other games which having freely handed over the player creation tools?
Even dragonage
redface.png
rigins did, didn't it?

Is it because, by making the creation aspect a "game", it acts as a sort of super tutorial for the more complex building that comes later? While more complex builders like the mentioned NWN, even warcraft/starcraft editors, are just an impenetrable wall for most people? Same with other modding. Skyrim/oblivion/fallout for example.
(obviously, Tower defense, and Moba's came from starcraft/warcraft. case in point, for its not like these were/are completely ignored)

I just wish more people would have gone OCD creating some amazing campaigns, with custom models, etc for any number of those games.
There is one HUGE thing that Landmark has going for it that previous editors did not have: It's creation and distribution is done in real time. Being able to instantly see your results, run and jump on it, have friends come over and check it out seconds after you place it, or even work with friends to build something, is really friggin cool. I don't have to model it in program A, save it in format B, load it up, see if it worked, and if not start from point A again. And after I think it's good, I upload it to the net, where others have to sift through thousands of potentially shitty mod files on a web page before they get to mine. Then they have to download it, load the mod and start to play. If they think it sucks, then back to the mod page looking for something else for them. Here, all of that is rolled into one for both sides. The producers know people will come across their stuff, even if it's just a run through, and consumers will see all kinds of things, and even if they see something shitty, they just keep running.

Most of the above could of course be applied to minecraft, which is obviously insanely popular. But here, Landmark is Mincraft on crack building wise, and additionally, has dedicated servers that give the 'instant distribution' element so you can see what everyone else is working on.

Since I'm thinking about it, this 'instant distribution' thing that lets you interact with the 'product' in real time is actually a really interesting idea. I know they have the player studio where the more experienced modelers can upload actual 3d creations... but what if there was an in game store in landmark that actually showcased these items? Not just a list of items in a window, but the actual items themselves. You would walk into the store, and be able to see the 3d representations of all the player made stuff. You could walk up to something, click to see a 'sample' where you could equip your character with the weapon/outfit whatever. Or head down the art gallery where you can view textures that people came up with. And if you like it, buy it. If not, turn around and see if anything else looks interesting to you. You could bring more abstract constructs to this store by filtering, sorting etc that would modify the items being shown in the store. I think that could really help in terms of monetizing player creations.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Where is the default save location for the Landmark cache folder?

Also, weren't they supposed to be implementing some kind of "gate to claim" feature? Any update on that? I've stopped going to the official forums for the most part.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Also, weren't they supposed to be implementing some kind of "gate to claim" feature? Any update on that? I've stopped going to the official forums for the most part.
It's scheduled to hit early phase two. We are officially into phase two, according to ponytail, starting this week. SoonT

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Where is the default save location for the Landmark cache folder?

C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\EverQuest Next Landmark\Cache

Noticed on the official forums several folks say they delete it constantly and get better performance (it's supposed to clear itself out but they haven't put in the mechanism that does that yet ). Others say there's an option to turn it off so I'll have to check that out next time I login. Don't quite have the room on my SSD drive for it to grow to 40-50 GB.

Zuuljin

Also, in the launcher, click the gears/setup icon just above the progress bar on the left, and the 3rd option down is "Open Game Directory".

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Thanks for the info , watching Georgeson stream now , cool stuff.

On side note someone send to Brad as a lesson in how to talk to a webcam.

Again , I feel bad now for all my knocks on Ponytail from the past , he's continuing to impress me with how he handles things.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
BTW I asked him about designing mobs in chat and he said definitely , AI and designing of them , very much looking forward to that.

InterSlayer_sl

shitlord
Came in to post aboutthis, then saw ponytail's stream link.

Then thought how awesomesauce it would be if they streamed area building of Everquest Next the way they do with Planetside2 and twitch. Except done in-game via Landmark where people can watch in real time or even participate.
"Castle Mistmoore - Throne Room: Interior Design assisted by EQ Landmark Fan and Top Rated Landmark Builder"

Zuuljin

Are twitch streams inherently saved at all? When I was watching earlier he went on a great discussion of their tool design and it would be great to link it here.

If not, extreme tldr; They want to have as few tools possible and are NOT trying to recreate a Maya/Photoshop environment in any way. He said if the learning curve becomes more of a chore, or feels like a job, they will fail.

So if that translates into NPC creation and AI scripting, I expect it to be fairly simple, but with perhaps many modifiers that can be combined to produce different behavior. I highly doubt there will be any sort of 'scripting' per say. No mention of when that's going in, but very excited to see what comes of it.