EQN:Landmark Beta Starts March 26th!

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
I don't care if it's a dude or a chick...

...whoever came up with the Portal return items for crafting gets a big, sloppy mouthkiss from me.

Seriously, screw all that running from alpha.

icarr757_sl

shitlord
This is not meant to be snark, please do not take it that way. At a quick glance, it appears that EQLandmark is a minecraftish world where players pay to make content that Sony is just going to put to use in EQN so Sony will get paid again so other players can use fan made content? Now, there are not bosses, no elaborate dance of combat and shifting states of boss fights. But Sony is going to get alot of new tipographical material to work with, and they are getting paid for it!

Please tell me I am wrong and I am missing some simple key concept?

Greyform

Bronze Knight of the Realm
We are thrilled to announce that the Landmark Closed Beta is now live! Your Trailblazer Pack grants you immediate, unrestricted access to Closed Beta and, as a value addition, 4 shareable unrestricted Closed Beta keys.

TAF7GFUNK7KRE3JGAT6G

KH4XRTFP4FDGH3GFXARU

U7964M9KXTA636PJVJX6

6XGG3NV9D9VZ64A6AJX9

Good luck if you need one of these.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Please tell me I am wrong and I am missing some simple key concept?
Yep, you're pretty much missing the entire point.

Players are not making EQNext for Sony; Landmark is a completely open game, genre nonspecific and open to whatever we want. SOE is going to use the exact same tools to create EQN, but the world is going to be strictly confined to Norrathian content. People will not be able to make sci-fi dick towers in EQN. There will be some contests held for people to makesomeEQN structures, but SOE is not just taking everything we make and putting it into Next.

Landmark is a world-seed, a blank canvas that you can make into whatever you like.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Don't forget players will be able to make royalties off anything used for EQN, much the same way they can make money off things people buy in the Player Studio Store.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Not necessarily, latest roundtable video made it seem like EQN building contest winners would just be commemorated with something like an in-game plaque. How would you charge royalties? Give someone money every time another person walks on their creation? That isn't sustainable.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Not necessarily, latest roundtable video made it seem like EQN building contest winners would just be commemorated with something like an in-game plaque. How would you charge royalties? Give someone money every time another person walks on their creation? That isn't sustainable.
He's talking about templates, etc sold in the store, obviously.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
I "think" the only way to make real money in EQL (or Landmark I guess now) , is to sell your templates/creations/resource crates in the Player Studio directly (once they enable that ). As Lenas said they said they might take some ideas and templates from Landmark but not paying players for them.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
He's talking about templates, etc sold in the store, obviously.
Obviously he isn't because his statement is "Anything used for EQN" which means that it must be a contest winner within Landmark. You will not be able to take anything from Landmark and place it into EQN, it has to be SOE-approved.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I "think" the only way to make real money in EQL (or Landmark I guess now) , is to sell your templates/creations/resource crates in the Player Studio directly (once they enable that ). As Lenas said they said they might take some ideas and templates from Landmark but not paying players for them.
People good with modeling software will also likely be able to design their own custom props and sell those on the store as well. I think that's where "the real money" will be. Anyone can design and archway or a tower so there'll be tons of those templates for sale on the market. Not everyone can just whip up new props.

Citz

Silver Squire
Is there any good spot to find these ancient rootstock trees or is the tree as rare as it seems.

Caliane

they aren't TOO bad.
403 Forbidden

But, things do get overfarmed.

Try a t2 old forest. T1 has more population, and t3 and 4, are in the right level range.. so people who need roots are already there. Shit gets farmed.
And in the same idea. open the map, look at an area as far from a player claim as you can. Again, areas next to a claim are more likely to have been farmed.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I have my doubts about this Player Studio/sell templates for real money thing. Unlike the real world, there are no copyright protection laws. There is nothing stopping someone from say, taking the top ten selling templates and copying them exactly and selling them for less. Templates do get a timestamp, so maybe CS could deal with it, but it just seems like a clusterfuck waiting to happen.

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
Is it currently possible to copy something on a friends claim and then paste it on your claim? I'm guessing you'd need build permissions for the friends claim, but what's to stop me from copying my buddies awesome castle, then running over to my claim and pasting it down?

Lenas

Trump's Staff
They have said in the past that they have some kind of solution for the copyright stuff and that it's pretty detailed... We'll see when they release more info on it. Think they mentioned it when they showed the business plan, and said that it was long enough to warrant its own document.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Right, they seem to want to protect the players as much as possible. As far as earlier, I'm likely wrong about the royalties thing (may have heard it bantered around at any of the numerous places talking about Landmark) but I still believe they are going to reward and/or compensate players who make things that get tossed into Next.

The entrance to my castle is coming along. The detail work is a time killer.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
The only thing I've heard about royalties, is that if someone buys one of your templates (say for a tower) and uses it in a bigger template of their own (say a castle) then every time they sell that castle template, you get a royalty, percentage amount determined by how much your template was used in relation to the whole.

Dizzam_sl

shitlord
I have my doubts about this Player Studio/sell templates for real money thing. Unlike the real world, there are no copyright protection laws. There is nothing stopping someone from say, taking the top ten selling templates and copying them exactly and selling them for less. Templates do get a timestamp, so maybe CS could deal with it, but it just seems like a clusterfuck waiting to happen.
I was watching Georgeson talk about this a couple weeks ago while he was streaming. I guess you can't template anything that you buy from Player Studio, so you can't just buy something, template it, and put it back up for sale. However, you can buy something, place it, and copy it voxel for voxel, it would just take a long time. He said there isn't anything they can do about that.

Also, with respect to copyright infringement. He said they will be keeping close eye on buildings and that anything violating (or potentially violating) a copyright will be removed.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I wasn't referring to real world copyrights, and have no concerns about people copying a template by hand for their own personal use. I'm talking about, for instance, you build a marble corinthian column inlaid with gold and diamond designs, and put the template up for sale, for $2. It's really popular and selling well, so someone else copies it exactly and puts it up for sale at $1.75.